ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Low power steering fluid cause rough running?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-10, 01:26 PM
emopdx34
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Low power steering fluid cause rough running?

1993 Lexus ES300 has a power steering fluid leak (likely from radiator fan). I'm usually good at keeping the level up but sometimes forget. The car occasionally has a problem of running rough (idling, driving, accelerating...all of it). This seems to coincide with the power steering level being low. My question is, would a low level of P.S. fluid cause the car to run roughly? It's not the usual whine and groan that you hear when steering the car (I know that sound when I hear it), but it's an actual rough, vibrating under the hood like the engine is struggling. The problem comes and goes and, from what I can tell, is affected by the P.S. level. Is that possible or am I out of my mind?
Old 09-21-10, 09:43 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,705 Likes on 2,290 Posts

Firstly, you need to repair the leak before you destroy the pump, if you have not already. I can think of two reasons low fluid would do that. One, the pump is putting heavy and inconsistent load on the engine, and two, there is a vacuum valve on the pump that is used to bring up the idle when the wheel is turned to compensate for load. With the fluid level low, the vacuum modulator is probably going all over the place, causing erratic idle.
Old 09-26-10, 05:58 PM
nine3es
Lead Lap

i have a 93 also, same problem you describe. i had a pump leaking so i put on a new pump, it didnt leak for two days then all of a sudden it empty again. after some inspection i found the pressure hose that goes from the pump to the cooling fan was spewing fluid on the right bank exhaust manifold. there is an o2 sensor on the manifold with fluid drenching it, i thought that may have something to do with the rough idle but after reading Lexus2000 post, the vacuum valve is a more likely candidate.
when it happens to me, the engine spits and sputters and smokes like a mosquitto truck til i kill it and fill the reservoir, then its all good again for a while.
my hose will be here tuesday, hopefully that will end my leaks and rough idle.
Old 09-26-10, 06:17 PM
ppericfe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nine3es
i have a 93 also, same problem you describe. i had a pump leaking so i put on a new pump, it didnt leak for two days then all of a sudden it empty again. after some inspection i found the pressure hose that goes from the pump to the cooling fan was spewing fluid on the right bank exhaust manifold. there is an o2 sensor on the manifold with fluid drenching it, i thought that may have something to do with the rough idle but after reading Lexus2000 post, the vacuum valve is a more likely candidate.
when it happens to me, the engine spits and sputters and smokes like a mosquitto truck til i kill it and fill the reservoir, then its all good again for a while.
my hose will be here tuesday, hopefully that will end my leaks and rough idle.
Where did u get the ps hose??
Old 10-18-11, 08:20 PM
jhenson
Driver School Candidate

Default ps valve

Does anyone know the name of this valve. I have read on a few other forums how this valve is a switch connected with the vacuum system and that when it fails it pumps ps fluid into the vacuum system. Not sure of the accuracy of that statement but the symptoms match mine. However I am unable to find any reference to the switch/valve in alldata or on any of the parts house websites.

any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-18-11, 08:57 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jhenson
Does anyone know the name of this valve. I have read on a few other forums how this valve is a switch connected with the vacuum system and that when it fails it pumps ps fluid into the vacuum system. Not sure of the accuracy of that statement but the symptoms match mine. However I am unable to find any reference to the switch/valve in alldata or on any of the parts house websites.

any help would be greatly appreciated
You may have been reading about a very common problem on the early to mid 90's LS models. They have a valve in the bottom of the PS pump which is supposed to increase or decrease the idle speed when the steering wheel is at certain positions. This valve is very prone to failure. When this happens, PS fluid is drawn into the intake manifold and is burned. This often creates a cloud of white smoke on startup, and it causes significant PS fluid loss.

This valve is not present in the ES models, to my knowledge. I know of no connection between the power steering and the intake manifold on these models.

Last edited by CUMan; 10-18-11 at 08:59 PM. Reason: typo