ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
Old 01-06-15, 04:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

05 Lexus ES330 rear window won't open!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-14, 11:14 AM
sherry676
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile rear window stuck

HOORAY! This was the best advise. I love my car I bought it as a leftover in 2005 and have never had a problem with it until the back windows got stuck 8 years later. It did recur but just last week but the same slam worked again. Dealer wanted to charge $700 per window to replace motors and all I had to do was slam the door with the key in the accessory position and poof it was fixed!l
Old 08-29-14, 12:58 PM
iacbar
Driver School Candidate

Default es 330 rear window problems

Originally Posted by arnelmacat
Thanks for this information. I have 2005 ES330 rear window is not working. Slamming my door didnt work for me. So I have to remove the door panel and loosen the bolts and try to bang where the motor is and shake the window assembley inside. Then it works. At the beginning it didnt do anything, because I think the motor overheat after trying the first solution to slam the door. Removing the panel is easy first remove the control for window using thin piece of plastic, then you will see one screw inside it.You will have to remove the power supply. Then remove the cover on the door lock, there is a thin plastic cover that you have to remove by your hand, then you will see one screw. After that you can start from the bottom to snap the door, use the thin plastic to help you remove some pin around it. I find it the top area is the one need the help of this thin plastic to pull it. After taking all the pin, it is ready to pull out, lift it up to remove it. Then you can see the inside of it with plastic cover, in my case need to open it to shake the assembly. You can try loosen the bolts first then bang the motor area, then if that didnt work open the plastic cover and , dont worry can still put it back. Then try to make the assembly move,( push it up and down). Then try testing it,using the driver side or put back the power supply to control ofcourse has to be in ACC or start the engine. Sorry dont have picture but email me if you need help.
thanks for the great help. i have a 2005 es330 that i purchased new. just found out that both rear windows would not go down(we never use them). both fuses were ok then i stumbled on this forum. tried door slamming which worked on 5th try on right side but not on left. pulled door panel per posted directions, loosened 4 10mm screws holding motor assy gave it a tap in the motor area with my hand and the window started working fine. thanks for the help. the only thing i would add to the panel removal instructions is that the plastic cover that must be removed at the door handle is the recessed piece directly behind the handle and not the piece that surrounds the handle. i was confused at first but the whole operation was very simple and took about 15 minutes.
Old 09-01-14, 07:23 AM
rajjawa
6th Gear

Default Called Lexus Replaced rear window motor at no cost.

I was having this problem since I bought the 2006 es330. I tOok it to dealer several times and each time they would do something and say that the problem was fixed. It will work for a while but same problem would appeared in hot weather sometimes. Finally I called the Lexus customer service and they told me that they will replace the motor at no charge. Once the motor was replaced, this problem has not occured. This was happening on rear passenger side window only.
Old 09-01-14, 07:41 AM
GSEREP111
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My friend's 2005 ES330 had the same issue. She told me her left rear window would not go down . Since she has no others in her car 99% of the time, she ignored it. I knew about this thread, and I gave it a try. It did not work the first 5 times. The motor was overheated. We went away for 30 minutes, and tried again. Just when it looked like it wasn't going to work, it finally broke free and has only stuck once since then. I used silicone lubricant on all the upper window ledges, and there has been no more problems. Thanks to all of you.
Old 09-27-14, 07:26 AM
jenga
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. Thought I would be pulling the door panel this weekend.

It took only 1 door slam and the window was working again. Quirky car.
Old 10-22-14, 06:56 AM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

Wow, great thread. Thanks, JSM1284, for posting the TSB fix.

The rear passenger side window in my family's ES330 has been having this problem with the window stuck in the up position.

The first time I tried the fix (about three days ago), it didn't work. I tried the procedure twice the first day, with a couple of hours between each attempt, each time giving up after several times opening and closing the door with the window power switch held down and no success.

I tried the fix again the next day, and it worked. How about that?

Thanks again.
Old 11-07-14, 05:22 AM
cory143
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI, To avoid the rear windows re-sticking, lower and raise the windows once or twice a week. I found that if I do that it sticks less. (But eventually I forget and then it happens again.......)
Old 02-07-15, 10:49 AM
bmwgamer
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks

Great! It worked, Thanks so much!

Anyone know where I get front floor mats for a good price?
Old 03-30-15, 12:50 PM
bobgue
Driver School Candidate

Smile Rear Window locked

Just wanted to let you know, that you also helped me...it worked after only one try. Thanks again for your help.
Old 12-03-15, 11:50 PM
Piyush
Driver School Candidate

Hello JSM1284 and all friends here.!

Seems everyone is happy with this solution and I am sure that it's the fix for "power windows not opening but we hear the click sound"...

Well, My Lexus ES330, 2005 has the same issue and I tried really 3 times with small interval but DID NOT work.. !!

I'm damn sure that It has to deal with me and not with the technique and procedure given here.. But not sure what I am doing wrong here..

I started the car, got back to the rear seat, slam (it means bang tightly) rear door 4-5 time while pressing the key down. Tried the same on the right side rear door but did not work..

Well, Can anyone please guide me for further OR any presentation on video would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

Thank you all and JSM1284
Old 12-04-15, 08:55 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iacbar
thanks for the great help. i have a 2005 es330 that i purchased new. just found out that both rear windows would not go down(we never use them). both fuses were ok then i stumbled on this forum. tried door slamming which worked on 5th try on right side but not on left. pulled door panel per posted directions, loosened 4 10mm screws holding motor assy gave it a tap in the motor area with my hand and the window started working fine. thanks for the help. the only thing i would add to the panel removal instructions is that the plastic cover that must be removed at the door handle is the recessed piece directly behind the handle and not the piece that surrounds the handle. i was confused at first but the whole operation was very simple and took about 15 minutes.
The issue is these are brushed motors, and the brushes will get hung up and not make contact with the commutator - jostling the motor MAY let the brushes make contact again, but if the channel the brushes ride in are gunked up from carbon, it will happen again. Maybe someone can come up with a replacement brushless motor for these PITA motors!
Old 12-04-15, 11:29 AM
JetsonES
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you slam them shut as hard as you could? One of mine went down pretty easy, the other required a real beating before if broke loose.
Old 12-07-15, 07:09 AM
JWRussell
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Windows Stuck

You are doing what we had suggested. But - I have a theory that might just work. Have a second person speed up the car engine to about 2000 rpm. What I think is when the engine is stopped the voltage to the window motor is probably 12 volts. With the car engine running the voltage to the window motor would be between 12 and 15 volts. If you were to speed up the engine to 2000 rpm or so, the voltage to the window motor would be probably 15 volts. Therefore more power to the motor equals more pulling power. Since your back windows have been just sitting there for 10 years without moving, I suspect that the top window groove really has a grip on the glass. I am no auto mechanic, used to be a shade tree mechanic until computers ruled. Also while I have your attention, there are FEW Auto Mechanics today, they are PARTS RE PLACERS. I do hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Piyush
Hello JSM1284 and all friends here.!

Seems everyone is happy with this solution and I am sure that it's the fix for "power windows not opening but we , hear the click sound"...

Well, My Lexus ES330, 2005 has the same issue and I tried really 3 times with small interval but DID NOT work.. !!

I'm damn sure that It has to deal with me and not with the technique and procedure given here.. But not sure what I am doing wrong here..

I started the car, got back to the rear seat, slam (it means bang tightly) rear door 4-5 time while pressing the key down. Tried the same on the right side rear door but did not work..

Well, Can anyone please guide me for further OR any presentation on video would be greatly, greatly appreciated!

Thank you all and JSM1284
The following 2 users liked this post by JWRussell:
Datanerd (07-06-21), hpc8 (05-22-21)
Old 04-09-16, 07:20 AM
tgray
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus ES330 rear window

AWESOME!! It works...thanks for the help...dealership charged $69.95 for a diagnostic test...the fix was to replace window motor circuit and the cost was $975.00 plus tax...what a joke...Thanks again!!
Old 06-03-16, 08:49 AM
Piyush
Driver School Candidate

Default JSM1284 is the man!!!

Originally Posted by JSM1284
Hold the button in the down position and slam the door a couple times. This is a common issue, mine did it once and slamming the door while holding the button worked, hasn't messed up since. There is also a TSB for the issue....

ELECTRICAL
EL010-06

Title:
REAR POWER WINDOW INOPERATIVE
IN CLOSED POSITION

Models:
'02 - '03 ES 300 & '04 -'06 ES 330

September 13, 2006

Introduction

Some ES 300 and ES 330 vehicles may experience a condition where one or both of the rear power windows are inoperative/stuck in the closed position. Follow the repair procedure in this bulletin to install a cushion kit on both rear power windows.

NOTE :

^ When you receive the customer's vehicle, if the power window motor does NOT operate, inspect the system by starting with the Inspection Procedure in this TSIB.

^ If the power window motor operation is normal when you receive the customer's vehicle but the customer's complaint is the power window motor does NOT operate at times, start with the Repair Procedure in this TSIB.

Applicable Vehicles

^ 2002 - 2003 model year ES 300 vehicles.

2004 - 2006 model year ES 330 vehicles.

Warranty Information

Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Inspection Procedure

With the engine running, apply a shock to the door (by opening and closing door) while pressing the power window switch in the down direction and check the power window operation.

1. Turn the ignition ON and start the engine.

2. Open the door, and then close it 4 times while pressing the power window switch in the down direction.

NOTE :

^ If the above check has been conducted 5 times continuously, let the motor cool for about 20 minutes.

^ Do NOT keep pressing the power window switch for more than 5 seconds. If the power window switch is held in the ON condition for more than 5 seconds, the power window motor will stop due to overheat protection system operation.

^ If the overheat protection system is activated, let the motor cool for about 30 minutes.

Does the power window motor operation return to normal

3. Loosen the regulator mounting bolts slightly, and then press the power window switch in the down direction.

Does the power window motor operation return to normal?

Repair Procedure

1. Attach the cushion to the door glass run on the rear door upper frame.

A. Remove the rubber door glass run from the door frame.

B. Use adhesive remover to remove any grease from the areas of the door glass run that the cushion will be attached to.

C. Attach the cushions to the door glass run as shown below.

^ Cut strip "a" in three (3) 5 mm (0.2 in.) lengths and attach to the door glass run in the locations shown below.

^ Using two (2) strips of cushion, attach strip "b" along the entire length of the door glass run in the location shown below, and trim off extra strip material.

2. Install the door glass run onto the door frame.

NOTE :Make sure that the door glass run is securely fitted to the door frame and is NOT deformed.

3. Check the power window operation.

NOTE :The power window motor MUST be initialized when the power window regulator mounting bolts are loosened or the power window regulator or the power window motor is removed.

A. Open and close the power window to check that it operates smoothly.

B. Check that the AUTO UP" function operates normally.

C. Check that the jam protection function operates normally.
Hi JSM1284, You da man!!! I tried the trick today and hurray my both rear windows opened like butter.. Well, I must admit that after reading this thread lots of time before couple of months, even though I was not abke to do it, hence I opened the side panels front and rear but no luck.. But after reading this thread again, I guess 7th time, I decided to try it again.. I went to car, turned on engine, turned off a/c, moved back and slam the door after holding the key and bang... it opened.. So happy to save $$$$ bucks. JSM1284, Thank you very very much from all members who saved $$$ like me... !!!!!

Quick Reply: 05 Lexus ES330 rear window won't open!!