ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
Old 01-06-15, 04:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

05 Lexus ES330 rear window won't open!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-13, 11:07 AM
Idreamido
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awesome!!

Got a 2005 ES330 yesterday, got home n kicked myself for not checking all windows...n was scared that rear window is going to set me back by couple hundred....tried this trick n voila....it worked....thank you so much
Old 05-26-13, 04:55 PM
lr1968
Driver School Candidate

Unbelievable! Fixed two rear windows in 60 seconds after mechanic told me he needed to remove door panels and replace power switches! Thanks.
Old 07-30-13, 04:21 PM
mattdoc
Driver School Candidate

Both windows, first try! Thanks a lot!
('05 ES330)
Old 08-25-13, 09:45 AM
marty99
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

My second window on my wifes 04 ES330 just went out. When the first one went out, I purchased a new switch for the back window and it fixed the problem. Today, I opened the switch down to the circuit board, trying to clean the contacts, re-assembled the switch and re-installed it in the car. No joy on the repair. Went online to order a new switch, then read this forum. Closed the car door with the engine off, button pressed, no luck. Turned the engine on, held the 'down' button, closed the door twice, and JOY! Thanks so much for saving me $50 and a bunch of grief.
Marty from Boiling Hot South Florida.
Old 08-30-13, 08:07 PM
fgpalmer71
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

To whoever originally posted this TSB....thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! Went to look at an 05 es330 with 80k on it this morning and scoured this site for things to look for. Neither window would go down on the test drive, in the back of my head I knew why. I used that AND the impending 90k service to get an AMAZING deal!! Got home, tried the fix in the TSB and VOILA!!! Saved me about a grand off the car for sure!!!! lol.
Old 09-14-13, 03:43 PM
JMH0325
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, JSM! I was having the same problem with both of my rear windows, and this worked on the 1st slam!
Old 09-14-13, 09:06 PM
dorky
Driver School Candidate

Default Cannot bring rear windows back UP from Drivers main switch

Thank you for sharing this tip. I was able to get the rear window switches for my 2005 ES330 fixed using the same method. Now, both the rear switches work perfectly. However, the issue I am now facing is - the front driver's main switch is able to bring the rear drivers n rear passengers side windows DOWN just fine - but not back UP! Does this mean that my drivers main switch panel needs replacement? The motor is fine because I am able to bring them up using the rear switches. Has anyone else faced this issue? Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 09-25-13, 06:36 AM
wmson2000
Driver School Candidate

Thanks people!!!

I followed the prescribed door slam technique while engine running - rear window now goes down (and back up!)
Old 09-30-13, 05:00 AM
marty99
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Worked first try on my 04 ES330. Wish I'd read this post a year ago!
Old 11-25-13, 12:34 PM
premiercol
Driver School Candidate

Default Possible new fix

just had the same problem on a ES330 that was in the shop. after trying the door shutting over and over and still nothing, we realized that the switch had no power. On this car there is a separate fuse for each window. Try this... remove the pull out change pocket on the dash to the left of the steering wheel to access the fuse panel and replace the mini fuse amp 20 the fuse location number is #50 for the rear drivers side, check owners manual for other doors.
Old 12-17-13, 03:35 PM
cbrandt79
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Lexus es330 power windows

Hard to believe that holding down a button and slamming a door would fix a problem.
It does work! Front passenger door took 5 slams and a retry. worked on 6th time. Rear door - right side fixed on 3rd slam!

Thanks for this forum!

Originally Posted by JSM1284
Hold the button in the down position and slam the door a couple times. This is a common issue, mine did it once and slamming the door while holding the button worked, hasn't messed up since. There is also a TSB for the issue....

ELECTRICAL
EL010-06

Title:
REAR POWER WINDOW INOPERATIVE
IN CLOSED POSITION

Models:
'02 - '03 ES 300 & '04 -'06 ES 330

September 13, 2006

Introduction

Some ES 300 and ES 330 vehicles may experience a condition where one or both of the rear power windows are inoperative/stuck in the closed position. Follow the repair procedure in this bulletin to install a cushion kit on both rear power windows.

NOTE :

^ When you receive the customer's vehicle, if the power window motor does NOT operate, inspect the system by starting with the Inspection Procedure in this TSIB.

^ If the power window motor operation is normal when you receive the customer's vehicle but the customer's complaint is the power window motor does NOT operate at times, start with the Repair Procedure in this TSIB.

Applicable Vehicles

^ 2002 - 2003 model year ES 300 vehicles.

2004 - 2006 model year ES 330 vehicles.

Warranty Information

Applicable Warranty*:
This repair is covered under the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint.

Inspection Procedure

With the engine running, apply a shock to the door (by opening and closing door) while pressing the power window switch in the down direction and check the power window operation.

1. Turn the ignition ON and start the engine.

2. Open the door, and then close it 4 times while pressing the power window switch in the down direction.

NOTE :

^ If the above check has been conducted 5 times continuously, let the motor cool for about 20 minutes.

^ Do NOT keep pressing the power window switch for more than 5 seconds. If the power window switch is held in the ON condition for more than 5 seconds, the power window motor will stop due to overheat protection system operation.

^ If the overheat protection system is activated, let the motor cool for about 30 minutes.

Does the power window motor operation return to normal

3. Loosen the regulator mounting bolts slightly, and then press the power window switch in the down direction.

Does the power window motor operation return to normal?

Repair Procedure

1. Attach the cushion to the door glass run on the rear door upper frame.

A. Remove the rubber door glass run from the door frame.

B. Use adhesive remover to remove any grease from the areas of the door glass run that the cushion will be attached to.

C. Attach the cushions to the door glass run as shown below.

^ Cut strip "a" in three (3) 5 mm (0.2 in.) lengths and attach to the door glass run in the locations shown below.

^ Using two (2) strips of cushion, attach strip "b" along the entire length of the door glass run in the location shown below, and trim off extra strip material.

2. Install the door glass run onto the door frame.

NOTE :Make sure that the door glass run is securely fitted to the door frame and is NOT deformed.

3. Check the power window operation.

NOTE :The power window motor MUST be initialized when the power window regulator mounting bolts are loosened or the power window regulator or the power window motor is removed.

A. Open and close the power window to check that it operates smoothly.

B. Check that the AUTO UP" function operates normally.

C. Check that the jam protection function operates normally.
Old 04-07-14, 04:34 PM
thoward
Driver School Candidate

Default Worked like a charm, unbelievable...

Windows have been out for 2 years, getting ready to sell vehicle and run across this forum. It seems too simple to be real but worked instantly on both rear windows. Thanks for the tip, save me some big $$. T
Old 04-16-14, 03:21 PM
ssseiko
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks!!!

Problem fixed
Old 06-24-14, 01:29 PM
racinagain
Driver School Candidate

I have window working but auto up not working properly goes up then back down ,
Old 06-28-14, 01:22 PM
SharpGent
Pit Crew

Received 122 Likes on 49 Posts

This is excellent! I just bought this car today, and I noticed the rear windows click, but do not open. A couple of good slams, and Voila!

Thanks!

Quick Reply: 05 Lexus ES330 rear window won't open!!