ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Would you trade a 2000 ES300 w/85k for a 2001 IS300 with 80k?.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-11, 04:08 AM
deanhavie
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you trade a 2000 ES300 w/85k for a 2001 IS300 with 80k?.....

The ES is in virtually perfect shape - few minor dings from the years, no rust, new tires/brakes/front bearings and a few other minor things. Looking at the build sheet, I'm pretty sure is is the base es300.

I'm pretty sure the IS is an automatic and know nothing more than that. I'm going to check out the car sometime this week.

Background story - family down the street is moving to England and needs to sell everything. He said that if I sold my car to CarMax and gave him the check, I could have the IS. Yes, both cars are free and clear and I know the owner of the IS quite well. (no risk of a scam etc...)
Old 08-03-11, 05:34 AM
sirjamesb
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The IS is a little more sporty and is also better for mods. So if you are into that kind of stuff then the IS would be a good trade, but if your not into a more sporty type car that you can mod then id say to just stick with the ES. I have been driving an ES since I could drive and I havnt switched yet. It all depends on the type of ride you would like. Both are very good cars and are both comfortable.
Old 08-03-11, 08:41 AM
deanhavie
Driver School Candidate

I come from a BMW M3 and Audi S4 background - got the ES from the parents, just 'cause'. Yes, a little more sporty is what I'm looking for and 4-drs will accommodate the 2 kids and wife. Pretty sure the clubs will fit in the trunk. Heh.

Originally Posted by sirjamesb
The IS is a little more sporty and is also better for mods. So if you are into that kind of stuff then the IS would be a good trade, but if your not into a more sporty type car that you can mod then id say to just stick with the ES. I have been driving an ES since I could drive and I havnt switched yet. It all depends on the type of ride you would like. Both are very good cars and are both comfortable.
Old 08-03-11, 08:57 AM
svagusta
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it! I like both cars but the IS gets 10,000,000 cool points for the speedo cluster alone!
Old 08-03-11, 09:24 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Are you into the 'mods' thing?
Yes? Do it.
No? Don't.

Yay - more aftermarket friendly, and well, they are nice cars in their own right with much more options to play with vs. a FWD ES300

No? Premium fuel, vs. regular in the ES300, the mileage isn't that 'great' when comparing the two and driving them the same way [my friend has one].

Personally, i would be torn, i've grown accustomed to the ES luxy feel, but the IS is sportier and a little firmer [obviously]. I'd have a hard time deciding myself...
Old 08-03-11, 10:20 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What's your price limit?

Honestly I would get a GS300 if I could go back. They are under 10k now too.
Old 08-03-11, 10:26 AM
deanhavie
Driver School Candidate

Mods - yes. The 2 things that drive me batty about the ES are the brake pads (I am used to Hawk HP+) and the body roll. HP+ are available for the ES and so is H-sport sways. None is available for the ES.

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
Are you into the 'mods' thing?
Yes? Do it.
No? Don't.

Yay - more aftermarket friendly, and well, they are nice cars in their own right with much more options to play with vs. a FWD ES300

No? Premium fuel, vs. regular in the ES300, the mileage isn't that 'great' when comparing the two and driving them the same way [my friend has one].

Personally, i would be torn, i've grown accustomed to the ES luxy feel, but the IS is sportier and a little firmer [obviously]. I'd have a hard time deciding myself...
Old 08-03-11, 10:29 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

slushbox? hell no!
Old 08-03-11, 11:21 AM
deanhavie
Driver School Candidate

Re-read....

There is no additional cash at all. I go to Carmax and they give me who gives a f* whatever it is (I suspect by looking at KBB dealer trade-in, I will get 6k or so). I give the cash to the country exiting neighbor who gives me the IS & title.

Wala

Done.

Originally Posted by Megafast13
What's your price limit?

Honestly I would get a GS300 if I could go back. They are under 10k now too.
Old 08-03-11, 01:02 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, knowing people, if you do make the trade have the IS guy follow you to CarMax with his car and title and do the deal right then and there and you give him a ride home in *your* IS.

I would never sell my car like that without doing a simultaneous close (ala real estate). Sure as hell, you get home with the check and in the meantime uncle Bob wandered by and decided he wanted that cute little car and you end up standing there with uh your check in your hand and no car.

Just sayin'
Old 08-03-11, 05:31 PM
deanhavie
Driver School Candidate

Heh - I totally hear ya. Very unusual circumstances where I have known the guy for almost 15yrs and our kids have grown up together.

But right.... I hear ya.

D-

Originally Posted by Carver
Well, knowing people, if you do make the trade have the IS guy follow you to CarMax with his car and title and do the deal right then and there and you give him a ride home in *your* IS.

I would never sell my car like that without doing a simultaneous close (ala real estate). Sure as hell, you get home with the check and in the meantime uncle Bob wandered by and decided he wanted that cute little car and you end up standing there with uh your check in your hand and no car.

Just sayin'
Old 08-03-11, 06:37 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well in that case it comes down to sport vs luxury. I personally think the IS is the better choice.
Old 08-05-11, 03:03 AM
LexLuger31
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all depends on preference. Argument can be made for either, as long as you stay in the lexus family you are good.
Old 08-05-11, 09:29 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm looking at both right now too. I'm looking to get either an ES300 or a IS300, and keeping my RX300 and 450h. I drive my car's hard, so I'm swaying towards the IS300.

It really depends on if you want a more sporty car.
Old 08-06-11, 06:44 AM
deanhavie
Driver School Candidate

Went to CarMax - they gave me a 7-day written offer of $5k. Took the offer to the other guys place and chatted. He said that I could give him the $5k + 7k in cash or check. This was the different between the KBB private sale $.

Bewildered, I recanted how he just wanted out of his car.

Long story short - no deal yet. They have 7 days and then leave the country. So, he is in a pickle. He aint gonna get $12k for the car and it aint gonna sell in 7-days at that rate - especially it being a 10yr old car.

So... I hold onto my $5k offer with him and he will think about it.

Quick Reply: Would you trade a 2000 ES300 w/85k for a 2001 IS300 with 80k?.....