ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1993 ES 300 Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-10, 05:28 PM
Striker46
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 ES 300 Issues

Hey guys, my buddy just bought a 1993 ES 300 and its got a couple gremlins I need help with. First is with the radio. The stock power antenna went out so a regular mast antenna from Auto Zone was installed in its place. The stock radio plays tapes just fine but when you switch over to the radio you can barely hear it, if at all. Its like there is zero reception and that is with the volume **** turned all the way up. It did this before the antenna was replaced. I am stumped. How can I fix this myself?

Also, the car was equipped with a stock cd changer in the trunk. We don't have the sleeve that slides into the changer. Is there a workaround to use it, or maybe a cheap sleeve replacement?

Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated.
Old 03-19-10, 06:47 PM
tomstep2
Pole Position

First, welcome to CL. As for your radio issue and antenna, I cannot be of any help. My power mast has been out for years and I just unplugged the power clip for the motor. It still gets reception, just not as effective. I rarely listen to the radio anymore anyways, mainly my iPod.

As for the CD changer sleeve, check ebay or a junk yard. Should be plenty cheap.

Why would the CD Changer get used now days? I have a tape adaptor for my iPod and haven't touched a CD in years now. Tape adaptor works and sounds great and all my music is at my fingertips.
Old 03-19-10, 07:55 PM
R1R
Driver

Guys, you can get a new power antenna mast on Ebay for $9.99.

They are dirt cheap now, and you can install it yourself. Just a thought.
Old 04-06-10, 11:37 PM
jhumphrey
Driver School Candidate

hey i had the same problem with my 93 es its just the radio itself going out buy a aftermarket and have it put in or put it in yourself that or buy a new or newish lexus stock radio i myself installed a sony aftermarket hu and everything works just fine now its just the sound ports going out on the 16 year old radio
Old 04-07-10, 01:57 PM
rrjimenez
Driver School Candidate

kind of off topic but has anyone had any issues with the stock amps shutting off when the volume is raised on an aftermarket deck? i have a pioneer deh-11u or something and when i purchased my 93 es300 the guy left me the lexus radio harness... since the speaker wire where phono plugs and not actual speaker "wires" i hit a local radioshack and got some female phono plugs.. soldered them to some 18gauge wire i had and went throught the process of testing which pug was what speaker 1 at a time... when i figure it out i wire up all the female phon plugs to my radios harness then wired the other wires to the car's harness then plugged the phono speaker plugs in and walaa i had sound.... but when i raised the volume the amp went off until i turned off/on the car...i know its the amp because i have a sub that was still thumping when the speakers went off
Old 04-08-10, 01:30 PM
argy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when my amp got wet one time and it stopped working i switched out the amp and i thought it was going to fix my problem with the radio sound... i have my volume up all the way and i get small sound but reception is good my tape deck sounds great with my subs now im just waiting to get my double din.. i got my harness and my kit already at my house now i gotta man up and find the best screen for my car.. the sound ports seem to be dying though thats forsure so its not only your its the radio itself.. my friend switched out his radio and the car sounds great ... i grabbed the last amp intergration harness from work and pretty much i just need to get any type of radio with all RCA fronts and rears and sub inputs so i can still keep my new factory amp in the car when i get my new stereo.