ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Replacing factory stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-02, 09:20 PM
Sabs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing factory stereo

On top of the transmission, manifold, and CV boots I've replaced in the 2 months I've had my car, today my CD changer died. Rather than pay a ton of money for the same thing, I want to get an in-dash mp3 deck.

I've searched and read through old posts, so I understand how the factory stereo is removed. I believe I've found a place online selling the Metra wiring harness: http://www.carstereoproducts.com/csp...%20es-300.html

and I'm getting the metal mounting kit here (hopefully this is the one with the correct texture face): http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wf...00&20KIT&20LX1

I have the Pioneer system, I've read some things about our stock amps... will I need to do anything with the wiring of the amp, or does the only wiring involve the dash? Any other issues I should be aware of? I drive about 100 miles to/from work each day, so I'd like to get this in ASAP so I don't have to be without good music. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-02-02, 09:12 PM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

I'd like to help you, but I'm about to do the same thing myself. The only thing I could think of is that some people complain of hearing the engine reving in the speakers sometimes. ( don't know how to solve that)

Quick question, are the harnesses in stock at that site? I've been looking all over for some.

One more Q, why are you buying the dash kit and the harness from two different sites? The dash kit is for sale at the one with the harness on it.
Old 06-02-02, 09:35 PM
Sabs
Driver School Candidate

I think the dash kit at autotoys is different than the Metra kit at carstereoproducts. I'm hoping it's a closer match to the look of the HVAC controls. I'm also buying my head unit from autotoys.

I don't know if the wiring harness is in stock, and I won't have a chance to call until Tuesday. If you could call them tomorrow and let me know the stock status that would be great, otherwise I'll try to call as soon as I can.
Old 06-03-02, 07:13 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

enging noise blows. oh, and you don't just hear it revving, you hear it in idle, when the stereo is off. it is the most annoying thing in my car. i am going to unground the cable from the chassis and try grounding it somewhere else, inside the trunk maybe. hopefully that will get rid of the noise
Old 06-03-02, 06:16 PM
Sabs
Driver School Candidate

Car Stereo Products does have the wiring harness in stock as of Monday.
Old 06-03-02, 09:18 PM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

Hope they're a decent vendor, just ordered both.

Hey anyone else have that problem with the engine noise other than Eric? I'd like to avoid it if at all possible.
Old 06-04-02, 09:49 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mine is grounded to my chassis, which is probably the reason why it is so bad. as soon as i talk to joe i will fix it sometime and let you guys know if it's still going on
Old 06-06-02, 09:38 PM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

I have a quick question for anyone that might know who's used a Metra wiring harness.

When you use the wiring harness, does that bypass your systems amp and use the head units internal power, or does it bypass that and use the amp in the car?
Old 06-10-02, 05:01 PM
Sabs
Driver School Candidate

Default Need help ASAP

TheBigGuyRy: the harness bypasses the internal amp of the head unit, and all amplification is done by the factory amp.

Received the wiring harness and mounting kit mentioned above. I'm still in the middle of the install, but these parts seem to be working out well.

The problem I ran into was removing the vent. I just cannot get it out. After removing the spring clips, the top removes, the bottom doesn't. I was able to remove the stereo/HVAC unit without taking out the vent, but like in Steve Barnes description, I lost the spring clips in the console. Also be careful when removing the screws, one of them stripped even though I applied ample pressure. Luckily they have socket heads so I was still able to remove it.

So far it's been a more difficult install than most vehicles, simply because of what needs to be done to remove the unit. Should be finished up soon, and once I get a better digital camera I will have pictures.

Last edited by Sabs; 06-11-02 at 12:58 AM.
Old 06-11-02, 09:20 PM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

Well does the internal amp of the ES push more or less than a head unit with MOSFET 50 ...?
Old 06-12-02, 12:36 AM
lexblaze
Driver School Candidate

hey I recently replaced my factory radio with a pioneer premiere but I had to get the kit custom made because lexus specially orders those kits from some exclusive kit company to fit perfectly.
I aslo had to rewire my whole car because the radio did not work with the factory amp. I will post some pics later on today of the radio.
Old 06-12-02, 11:53 AM
lexblaze
Driver School Candidate

here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails Replacing factory stereo-20020612-002.jpg  
Old 06-12-02, 11:54 AM
lexblaze
Driver School Candidate

this is with the radio open
Attached Thumbnails Replacing factory stereo-20020612-003.jpg  
Old 06-12-02, 11:56 AM
lexblaze
Driver School Candidate

this is when i tak the face off, the little screen is hidden behind that black part. Let me know what you all think
Old 06-12-02, 11:57 AM
lexblaze
Driver School Candidate

this is when i take the face off, the little screen is hidden behind that black part. Let me know what you all think
Attached Thumbnails Replacing factory stereo-20020612-004.jpg  

Quick Reply: Replacing factory stereo