ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

i feel so embarrassed

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-02, 08:57 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ECT would be pointless with a stick

The ECT Power button simply raises the shift points of the automatic transmission. Since a manual transmission means just that, that you select your own shift points, the button would be worthless. So I don't think the ES's with a stick have an ECT button.
Old 07-30-02, 09:54 AM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The straight drive ES doesn't have an ECT button, like I said (ECT=Electronic Controlled Transmission) You don't need an electronic controlled transmission if the driver was controlling the transmission
Old 07-30-02, 11:28 AM
LexFather

ECT is for automatic trannies only. Manual would never need it since you can shift when you want to. There is NO ECT button in my ES manual.

I burned the clutch on my ES, but that was due to ME, not cause of a faulty part(s). Since I don't beat it up anymore, it has gone over 80,000 miles on the same clutch.

Before ECT, "fuzzy logic" was how computers figured out when to shifr your car. For instance if you floored it all the time, the car would start to respond accordingly and vice versa.

With ECT, if your relaxing and cruising, you leave it in normal and the car will shif around 3-4000 rpm, for optimum efficiency, smoothness and comfort. In POWER mode, the car shift at 4000-5000 rpm, closer to PEAK H.P. therefore giving you more speed, slightly harder shifts and less efficiency.
Old 07-30-02, 11:35 AM
LexFather

ECT is for automatic trannies only. Manual would never need it since you can shift when you want to. There is NO ECT button in my ES manual.

I burned the clutch on my ES, but that was due to ME, not cause of a faulty part(s). Since I don't beat it up anymore, it has gone over 80,000 miles on the same clutch.

Before ECT, "fuzzy logic" was how computers figured out when to shifr your car. For instance if you floored it all the time, the car would start to respond accordingly and vice versa.

With ECT, if your relaxing and cruising, you leave it in normal and the car will shif around 3-4000 rpm, for optimum efficiency, smoothness and comfort. In POWER mode, the car shift at 4000-5000 rpm, closer to PEAK H.P. therefore giving you more speed, slightly harder shifts and less efficiency.
Old 07-30-02, 12:26 PM
TheOfficeBoy
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wander boy returns!

I was wondering if anyone knew where our rev-limiter is set at.
I'm also curious as to whether or not manually shifting your automatic (Starting in L, then 2, the D, then eventually O/D) will permit even faster pickup than even ECT power mode. My logic (haha, riiiight.... ) is that if we can stay in gear until just before the rev-limiter kicks in, we should be able to be even faster than an ES in D with power on.

Plus I'm too damn lazy to search the forum for our rev-limiter...
BUt I'm guessing it would be very close to the redline (ES300 is, as previously stated, not meant to be a racer)

As for my last post from last week, I apologize... Can't exactly organize my thoughts at work...
Old 07-30-02, 09:24 PM
LexFather

I think it is 6250, I would not reccommend shifting manual on older cars, just leave it in power and drive. Also, every auto mag has found out that the cars are faster just leaving it in Drive.
Old 07-30-02, 10:51 PM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think redline is at 6500 rpm for '92-'93 models, and 6250 for '94-?
Old 07-31-02, 07:39 AM
blux
Pole Position

More power with drive + ect because on the newer models you have to let up the gas pedel before it shifts gears. So if I have it in L and redline I can put it in 2 but it wont shift til I let off the gas. (I think...last time I tried it) I think that sean said that the actual redline was 6950 or somthing....Its not really what is colored red on the tach. I'm sure you all know this, just puttin in my .02
Old 07-31-02, 11:56 AM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, so I guess the fuel-cutoff point for the manual in 6950....but I thought the auto will shift at the posted redline no matter what. I'll have to go out and try manually shifting my auto to see if it can indeed hit 6950. It always shifts at redline when left in drive.
Old 07-31-02, 01:57 PM
blux
Pole Position

Same here if I leave it in drive. Put it in L and see how high you can get it
Old 08-08-02, 09:19 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wanna talk about embarrassing, Tuesday night I was going to Perkins with a group of friends, pulled up next to one at the stoplight. He's got an old beater Dodge Omni, I power braked a little and let it rip when the light turned green. He spun the tires like crazy and pulled ahead of me :eek: The front of my car stayed even with his windshield until I shut down at about 50. He'd popped the clutch at about 4000 RPM, I should've gained a little on him while he was spinning the tires. I think he said it was the 2.2 liter engine from the Charger and a manual transmission, plus the car probably weigh's half of what an ES does. My wheels slow me down a little, and my car needs a little work that could've been affecting things a little. Anyway, I need to try and bump the timing when I get the car running perfect again. Any kind of help would be nice. I think I could've gained back if we'd kept going faster, but it wasn't the right place.

Anyway, that was pretty embarrassing, especially considering the carfull of female friends behind us They still love my car, but they didn't need to know it's slow.

Just thought I'd share my story, never underestimate anyone.

Last edited by Kyle Harty; 08-08-02 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-09-02, 02:55 PM
j2tha0e
Pole Position

um...seriously, i think there is a problem with your story.

i don't think there's a way in hell one of those omnis would have killed you.

i think you should have your car looked at.

maybe you passed him so quick there was second omni just the same, way infront of the first so it twisted your mind making you think you lost.

Old 08-10-02, 10:19 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, I am leaking a little oil, probably be figuring out what that is this week. I had my dad take a quick look at it and he thought he knew what it was, but we'll take a better look soon. I think it might be costing me a little power, at least I hope so because I'm feeling really slow right now.