ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ECM replacement ES300

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-15, 10:23 PM
Fixemall
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey BadES300... I only followed the link mitmaks put up... my wife (am I lucky? She's a car-gal too!) did the follow-up on the telephone as the guy called to tell us what was up, and if he could fix it before he started the work. She's asleep, but I'll ask her tomorrow.

...in the meantime...

I think its worth mentioning that several minor problems disappeared with the ECM fix. The variable speed wipers shut off properly now, the temp and fan controls are always on the mark... some other minor things... BUT

...my wife complained (its her car) that she had lost about 2 MPG after the fix. I also noticed that the car seemed to have a bit more 'git'. Curious, I had her perform an experiment. I asked her to hit the 'performance mode' button on her way to work the following day.

She mentioned that the car seemed to 'go into lope mode'.

I'm reasonably certain that the fixit performed by the ECM rebuilder involved making the performance chips the default in the ECM, rather than the old 'standard run chip'. I told my wife not to worry, that her car was now 22 years old, and that she should simply enjoy the performance. It does run like a champ, but now only gets 23 MPG around town (used to be 25).

I'll see if I can get you that number tomorrow. I apologize for not reading this e-mail earlier today.
Old 01-18-15, 08:03 PM
EddieKat
Driver School Candidate

@Fixemall, Im also interested in the guys number. I also need my ECU looked at...Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 04-04-15, 08:27 AM
NapCity
Driver School Candidate

Default Can you post the contact info

Originally Posted by mitmaks
Yes you can. Send your oem ecu/ecm to this guy and he will fix it for you.
1994 1995 94 95 Camry ES300 ECU ECM Engine Control Computer Repair 89661 33340 | eBay
Can you post the contact info, I need a ECU / ECM for a 1996 Lexus ES 300
Also I find two separate part no:

89661-OW010
89661-33340
Old 06-11-15, 01:26 PM
gparis64
Driver School Candidate

Hi ! how can i remove the ECU from my LS 400/1996 to replace the capacitors ? thank you !
Old 09-15-15, 02:39 PM
cdunca647
Driver School Candidate

Default Contact Info

Originally Posted by NapCity
Can you post the contact info, I need a ECU / ECM for a 1996 Lexus ES 300
Also I find two separate part no:

89661-OW010
89661-33340
Bump to get this gentleman's contact info. I'm looking at a bad ECM as well.
Old 05-24-16, 10:00 AM
mmcdow3
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fantomZ
Posting follow up for future reference since I wasn't able to find much helpful information about this specific issue.

Replacing ECM (ECU) on 1999 Lexus ES300 with a salvage ECM (ECU)

When purchasing a salvage computer to replace a non-working or malfunctioning unit you must match the numbers on the computer. 89661-your#, and you must obtain the key that came from the car the the computer came out of. I had to call about 10 different salvage yards over the US to find one that had both. You have to have the matching key in order to re-program the key that fits your ignition switch. This means master key, not valet key.

Once you have received the computer and matching key, unhook the battery, replace the ECM, hook up the battery and do the following procedure. (The following info copied from another thread on CL, combining for more comprehensive computer replacement guide.)

Key Programming
1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition(The one you got with the salvage computer). Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3.. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key (really your old key, the one that goes with your doors and ignition switch) you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

NOTE: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will come on and start to blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.
If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key. If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.

After this, your key should have received the programming from the key that was originally with the new (salvage) computer and will start the vehicle.

Hope this helps someone else in the future, this was about a 2 month information hunt/PITA to fix the issue that we were having.

-Adam

Does this work for a 2000 RX300 as well?

Last edited by mmcdow3; 05-24-16 at 10:09 AM.
Old 05-25-16, 07:17 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcdow3
Does this work for a 2000 RX300 as well?
Here you go:

Old 05-28-17, 05:01 PM
MAlvis
Driver School Candidate

Default No longer valid link for ES300 ECU repair

1994 1995 94 95 Camry ES300 ECU ECM Engine Control Computer Repair 89661 33340 eBay
This may the group referred to:
Sia Electronics Inc, N Minnie Ave, Tilden, IL (800) 737-0915
Weblink: http://siaelec.com
Ebay Link: http://www.ebay.com/usr/zkboys
Old 03-12-18, 10:53 PM
wsrivers
Driver

1994 1995 94 95 Camry ES300 ECU ECM Engine Control Computer Repair 89661 33340 eBay
Really quick....I seem to be having as per my code reader "Shift Silinoid" problems. It's saying A & E. Now after reading this thread I'm thinking that maybe I can send the original one out to this guy on Ebay nut before I do I just want to be sure that I contact the correct company. So that I'm clear it is " All Computer Resources". Please let me know as a few different companies popped up when I click the link above. Thank you in advance.
Old 03-13-18, 12:38 AM
wmj259
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by wsrivers
Really quick....I seem to be having as per my code reader "Shift Silinoid" problems. It's saying A & E. Now after reading this thread I'm thinking that maybe I can send the original one out to this guy on Ebay nut before I do I just want to be sure that I contact the correct company. So that I'm clear it is " All Computer Resources". Please let me know as a few different companies popped up when I click the link above. Thank you in advance.
Have you confirmed through testing the solenoids that it is indeed the ECM?
Old 03-13-18, 12:54 AM
wsrivers
Driver

No I haven' but....I read through investigating that it is very uncommon for two silinoids to go at the same time. I am by no means a mechanic and do not want to give that impression. I was leaning towards the the ECM because a member was describing his issues and they seemed to mirror mine. He also added that he changed the shift silinoids and had the same issues. Pricing the computer and each silinoid they seemed to be very close in price. One mechanic suggested to get another transmission the only problem is....that one may have the same issue that I'm having now. Another one says he did some cleaning and the light went out and it seemed to shift as intended for a few days but shortly afterwards it was back to the same thing. He suggested changing the computer, silinoids, or trans.
Old 03-13-18, 07:51 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Try one last very simple 10 minute procedure before you go any further. Disconnect the Battery for 10 Minutes, and than reconnect it. If you're very lucky you would have reset everything and all will be ok again, If not, you lost nothing by trying.
Old 03-13-18, 09:19 PM
wsrivers
Driver

Ok.....I'll give that a try tomorrow. We had a NOREASTER today. I'll try anything at this point. I'm confident that it's not a bad trans since the fluid is clean and at the right level. The magnets in the pan didn't have any shaving accumulations on them either. Thanks for your assistance.
Old 03-13-18, 11:03 PM
wmj259
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I would still perform the test that @tomf described. It'll help pinpoint the location of fault. $10 multimeter from Walmart or homedepot will help you.
Old 03-14-18, 12:25 AM
wsrivers
Driver

I don't see any testing instructions from @tomf if someone could assist me with locating this it would be greatly appreciated. I can head over to Walmart to get a multimeter and hopefully resolve this issue. Thanks.

Quick Reply: ECM replacement ES300