ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-10, 06:52 PM
nsjoel808
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question please help

I have a 5 speed 92 es300, it starts fine and then the idle slowly drops till it dies. It is running rich (smoked plugs/tail pipe) it is misfiring and smoking out the tail (white)

I have done a compression test and got 125 all the way around with a cold engine (won't idle long enough to get warm) is this normal?

I pulled codes 24 (Intake temperature sensor circuit fault)
and 32 (High airflow meter voltage)
I this Maf?

there are cracks in the exhaust, and smoke coming from the exhaust manifold, i cant physically see a crack but im assuming that the manifold needs to be replaced.

any input would be helpfull
Old 01-22-10, 06:57 PM
nsjoel808
Driver School Candidate

1 more thing, can u use a 1mz exhaust manifold on a 3vz? parts seem scarce in my area for my car
Old 01-22-10, 07:34 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"1 more thing, can u use a 1mz exhaust manifold on a 3vz? parts seem scarce in my area for my car"
that's so funny, i wonder /notice that too!! I dont konw the answer yet.

your compression test was supposed to be approx 180. you are low. you maybe didn't 1) let it compress 5 times [audibly whines 5 times] 2) block throttle open 3) messed up gauge

otherwise, for all cyl to be like that, the engine would have to be EXTREMELY heavily used up.

did you pull this car out of a creek or what?!?! lol sorry

anyway, lets try to be organized about diagnosing this rare baby.
first , i want you to make sure everything is plugged in [like sensors]. then rest the ecu [unplug battery -- if you have the radio code, write it down incase you need to reenter it later].
then turn ign key on [dont start engine] for 10 second, turn off, then do the code check procedure with your expensive code reader [paper clip, anybody?]. lol
let us know what you find. i will be here attentively since i know the 92/93 cars well. feel free to hit me up on ''aim'' if you have to, otherwise, here's fine.

Last edited by llcoolpass; 01-22-10 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-22-10, 08:34 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nsjoel808
I have a 5 speed 92 es300, it starts fine and then the idle slowly drops till it dies. It is running rich (smoked plugs/tail pipe) it is misfiring and smoking out the tail (white)

I have done a compression test and got 125 all the way around with a cold engine (won't idle long enough to get warm) is this normal?

I pulled codes 24 (Intake temperature sensor circuit fault)
and 32 (High airflow meter voltage)
I this Maf?

there are cracks in the exhaust, and smoke coming from the exhaust manifold, i cant physically see a crack but im assuming that the manifold needs to be replaced.

any input would be helpfull

Did you recently purchase this car? Do you have any idea of it's history?
This is a interesting combination of codes. One thing that would generate both at the same time would be a open in the circuit for Pin 5 of the Air flow sensor. This supplies a ground to both the airflow meter potentiometer and the intake temp sensor. If you pop the cover off the pot you will be able to measure this easily.

As for the manifold. You see smoke, can you hear a leak? Smoke can just be oil getting onto the maniflod and burning. If you do not hear anything I would assume check for oil leaks, very common to have a leaking valve cover gasket.
Old 01-22-10, 08:39 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Forgot to address the compression, what was the difference between the high and the low? If they were close I would suggest borrowing another gauge and verify that it is good. What part of Hi are you in, I spent a couple years in puna, on the big island.
Old 01-22-10, 10:09 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, unfrtunatley the 1MZ headers (manifold) are extremely different from the 3VZ. Friend and I compared to see hoping that it would work.
Old 01-23-10, 02:19 PM
nsjoel808
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
"1 more thing, can u use a 1mz exhaust manifold on a 3vz? parts seem scarce in my area for my car"
that's so funny, i wonder /notice that too!! I dont konw the answer yet.

your compression test was supposed to be approx 180. you are low. you maybe didn't 1) let it compress 5 times [audibly whines 5 times] 2) block throttle open 3) messed up gauge

otherwise, for all cyl to be like that, the engine would have to be EXTREMELY heavily used up.

did you pull this car out of a creek or what?!?! lol sorry

anyway, lets try to be organized about diagnosing this rare baby.
first , i want you to make sure everything is plugged in [like sensors]. then rest the ecu [unplug battery -- if you have the radio code, write it down incase you need to reenter it later].
then turn ign key on [dont start engine] for 10 second, turn off, then do the code check procedure with your expensive code reader [paper clip, anybody?]. lol
let us know what you find. i will be here attentively since i know the 92/93 cars well. feel free to hit me up on ''aim'' if you have to, otherwise, here's fine.
reset ecu, same codes pulled up, the car has been sitting for at least a year, i dont think i did the test correctly, my friend said he knew how to do it, we pulled and tested one at a time. he said as long as the numbers are similar, its not blown. i figured they would be lower if the car is not warmed up.
Old 01-23-10, 02:30 PM
nsjoel808
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GEORGE_JET
Did you recently purchase this car? Do you have any idea of it's history?
This is a interesting combination of codes. One thing that would generate both at the same time would be a open in the circuit for Pin 5 of the Air flow sensor. This supplies a ground to both the airflow meter potentiometer and the intake temp sensor. If you pop the cover off the pot you will be able to measure this easily.

As for the manifold. You see smoke, can you hear a leak? Smoke can just be oil getting onto the maniflod and burning. If you do not hear anything I would assume check for oil leaks, very common to have a leaking valve cover gasket.
so i should get an voltmeter and test pin 5, wat should it read? so replace maf, would a faulty one give my symptoms?
cant hear anything, would it make a hissing noise? just see smoke, coming from front exhaust manifold with no oil leaks around it
Old 01-23-10, 02:34 PM
nsjoel808
Driver School Candidate

Im on the north shore of oahu, parts are rare and expensive, if i were to find a cherry engine 1mz would it mate with the manual tranny or would i have to get one from a 92-93?
Old 01-23-10, 05:29 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

so i should get an voltmeter and test pin 5, wat should it read? so replace maf, would a faulty one give my symptoms?
cant hear anything, would it make a hissing noise? just see smoke, coming from front exhaust manifold with no oil leaks around it
You should see 0 volts (make sure that it is hooked up to the airflow meter when you measure, or you will just be wasting your time). It is easy to pull the cover off the airflow meter and check the voltage.

If the manifold was cracked, you should hear a noise, it should be obvious. You could try using some brake cleaner ( WHILE THE ENGINE IS COLD ) to clean the entire area.

Is there any smoke coming out the rear exhaust pipe?
Old 01-24-10, 10:52 AM
nsjoel808
Driver School Candidate

ya there is, white, smells of fuel, i know its running rich
Old 01-24-10, 11:08 AM
Gerson
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another 5 speed member, keep it alive bro since they are rare. U can swap a 1mz engine but u also have to swap out mounts, harness, ecu, and axles may fit. Tranny may fit but not too sure on that.
Old 01-24-10, 01:25 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

ya there is, white, smells of fuel, i know its running rich
White is NOT fuel, but I am sure that it is running rich and that you do smell fuel. I would guess that the white smoke is condensation. I would focus on the airflow meter problem. That would explain the major symptoms and should get the car running resonably well.

I would then re-evaluate the remaining symptoms and proceed with troubleshooting. Sometimes when there are several problems it is best to focus on one or two of the major ones.