ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

My ES launches slow compared to Camry

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-02, 10:06 PM
Sabs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My ES launches slow compared to Camry

Here's the scoop, 2 cars:

My '93 ES300, 100k miles and just had to replace the transmission. New Lex plugs at 80k, Yokahama Decibels, anything else I should note?

vs my mother's '98 Camry V6.

I would say that acceleration above 50mph is similar, but the Camry launches much quicker and pulls quite a bit harder. Haven't timed them with a stopwatch or anything, but I know I'm not imagining the difference in acceleration.

Anyone else driven both cars in the same generation? Or if not, how hard does your ES launch? Although my tires have better traction than stock, I'm unable to break the tires loose on dry pavement from a dead stop. In the Camry, although it has some cheaper Yokahamas, I can punch it at 15 mph and break the tires loose. Does this seem off?
Old 05-17-02, 10:31 PM
RacingAristo

So your mother anticipated the launch? One of the factors you have to consider is that your ES is a lot older than the Camry. I once raced my 97 M3 with my friend's 97 M3 (both had no engine mod at all). Same generation but his car has 20k more mileages and you can really see the difference.
Old 05-18-02, 02:57 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although my tires have better traction than stock, I'm unable to break the tires loose on dry pavement from a dead stop. In the Camry, although it has some cheaper Yokahamas, I can punch it at 15 mph and break the tires loose. Does this seem off?
I don't understand what you mean. Logically, shouldn't your new tires not be able to break free as easily. So your mom's older ones which are worn more would be able to break free easier. If I neutral drop, i can burn the wheels doing 15
Old 05-18-02, 04:44 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

maybe you have a *doomed* ES. j/k. check those air hoses people! and your motor mounts. the tires you got on shouldn't really be a problem unless you got the new tires because you got really heavy aftermarket wheels or something. plus, yokohamas are generally soft rubbers. maybe your mom's camry doesn't have that spare tire in the trunk or something. i dont know. what happened to your transmission anyway?
and i used to be able to burn my tires but they were really bald. i got new tires and i cant do it anymore.
Old 05-18-02, 05:11 PM
blux
Pole Position

Default Breakin' Loose

w0rd, I wish I could break the tires loose in my 96 ES....I've only been able to do it on wet pavement. Just got brand new Continential (sp) tires though, dont want to wear em' too fast.....
Old 05-18-02, 05:27 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

i got new tires too, i used to neutral drop all the time. left lots of smoke. now i have my new tires, and its harder to break loose. but i still can, and if you are having trouble spinning from a stand still, try turning the wheel left or right when accelerating, the wheels break loose easy. i can burn with the e-brake on
Old 05-18-02, 10:18 PM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what's a neutral drop? is taht when you pop it into gear after revving the engine in neutral? If so, that's BAD for the tranny.
Old 05-19-02, 12:08 AM
Sabs
Driver School Candidate

The reason I mentioned the tires is because I think that my tires, on the ES, make better traction and would be a bit harder to break loose. However, I know there is still quite a difference in acceleration. I know the '93-'94ES has a different engine than a '98 Camry so this is part of the reason, just wondering if I should have similar acceleration or if my car is a slow ES.

I'd take it down to the drag strip to test, but I don't feel like spending $20 to get beat by barely-modded civics and pickup trucks.

I purchased my ES a little over a month ago, and it had some transmission problems. The clutch packs were worn, not sure for what reason. After a rather large chunk of change the rebuilt I had the transmission replaced with seems to work well. Wish I would have posted earlier in the "maintenence" section though, as I'm told I could have requested a rebuilt with a better torque converter, which would help it off the line - and this wouldn't have cost any more money. Too late now.

On the plus side, I refinished my car today and it turned out quite well. Wet sanded out the scratches, used 3M rubbing compounds, and Wizards Sealant and Polish. Shines like new.
Old 05-19-02, 03:09 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

yeah that is a neutral drop. i can burn without it though, just turn the wheel, that will break the tires loose. ill get it on camera
Old 05-19-02, 03:58 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

No neutral drops please! Automatics aren’t made for that! Maybe step on the brake then the gas and then once your revved let the brake go, that’s much easier on your tranny then revving in neutral and then dropping it into gear. Ouch!
Old 05-19-02, 05:40 PM
RacingAristo

You are going to say bye bye to your stock tranny soon if you continue to use neutral drop.
Old 05-20-02, 07:21 AM
Ferdi
Driver School Candidate

Default Camry

A little late reply..

When I blew my motor, I replaced it with a Camry 3l. I had to change a number of censors etc as well, but the engines a re virtually identical. I have now tried to take on a 3l Camry and it does take me on the pull off. It felt to me as if my Lexus was heavier and as if the transmission changed at the wrong shift points.

Regards

Ferdi Kruger
South Africa
Old 05-20-02, 06:34 PM
EGainer
Lexus Champion

i haven't neutral dropped in a while, i just have been burning regular, no e-brake, no brake, no neutral drop. just the power button
Old 05-20-02, 06:41 PM
TheBigGuyRy
Driver

hey anyone wanna explain to me what the "ECT" button does and what the Overdrive button on the shifter does?
Old 05-20-02, 06:58 PM
Nabeel
Lexus Test Driver

Overdrive allows the transmission to select fourth gear sooner and more often, for better fuel economy. ECT button raises the shift points a bit, to get the most out of each gear and to keep teh engine in the optimum part of the power band when shifting to the next gear.

Quick Reply: My ES launches slow compared to Camry