ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Slight flicker of lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-09, 10:51 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Slight flicker of lights

I noticed the other day that the lights that illuminate the rear license plate flicker slightly on my 2001 ES300. The front and rear interior reading lights also seem to flicker slightly as well. I thought perhaps the HID headlights I installed may be drawing too much power, but even with them off the lights continue to flicker. I'm wondering what the issue could be and how to diagnose it.
Old 12-29-09, 11:43 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bulb is on its way out
corrosion on the bulb
Old 12-30-09, 07:02 AM
Limen
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
bulb is on its way out
corrosion on the bulb
Yeah, most likely this...
Old 12-30-09, 07:50 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Here you go, have a read:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...f-the-day.html

I went through the same, don't know if the extent on your car is as bad as it were on mine...
Old 12-30-09, 08:31 AM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bulb is on its way out
corrosion on the bulb
I would agree if it were only the one rear light, but he is stating the interior reading lights are flickering as well.

Did these lights just start flickering after installing your HID aftermarket kit or were they doing it before as well?

It sounds more like a grounding issue to me or if it just started after hooking up your HID kit, I would recheck every connection and did you tap into a wire that you shouldn't have?
Old 12-30-09, 08:55 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike DeAno
I would agree if it were only the one rear light, but he is stating the interior reading lights are flickering as well.

Did these lights just start flickering after installing your HID aftermarket kit or were they doing it before as well?

It sounds more like a grounding issue to me or if it just started after hooking up your HID kit, I would recheck every connection and did you tap into a wire that you shouldn't have?
This is what I was thinking. One flickering light would indicate a dieing bulb, but a whole set sounds like something else.

To best honest I don't remember if they flickered before I installed the kit; I installed it pretty much right away which in hindsight was probably not the best idea. I did ground everything properly as far as I know. One ground on the battery and another on the bolt that holds the washing fluid tank. I will recheck everything this weekend. I did not splice or tap into any wire. The kit is powered directly from the battery by a relay harness.

Here's the thing though. The headlights don't flicker. The dash doesn't flicker. The front door lights don't flicker. The interior trunk like doesn't flicker (I think). So I'm thinking that maybe there is a power line that goes from the front to rear interior reading light and also powers the license plate lights that is causing the issue.
Old 12-30-09, 11:08 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

are you sure water hasn't been collecting in the rear and leading the wires to corrode? if i remmeber correctly, its a problem on 2nd gen es 300 in particular [97+]
maybe you have a bad ground
maybe you have a chipmunk

Old 12-30-09, 11:20 AM
R1R
Driver

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
I noticed the other day that the lights that illuminate the rear license plate flicker slightly on my 2001 ES300. The front and rear interior reading lights also seem to flicker slightly as well. I thought perhaps the HID headlights I installed may be drawing too much power, but even with them off the lights continue to flicker. I'm wondering what the issue could be and how to diagnose it.
HID's draw less power than conventional bulbs, so it would have to be something else I think. Maybe the bulbs are on their way out.
Old 12-30-09, 04:44 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

I looked over the car more carefully, apparently I missed a few. Here's a list of what's flickering:

- Front, left and right orange signal lights
- Front interior reading light
- Rear interior reading light
- All rear lights, including brake and license plate illumination lights

However, as the car warms up and runs say for 15 minutes, the flickering is significantly reduced. Also, when I open the sunroof or lower the windows the interior lights dim, due to what I assume is increased strain on the battery.

My guess is that the battery is simply old. I looked on the sticker and the holes to be punched out to signify date and year were intact so I don't think there's any way to judge it's age, but here is a picture I took, maybe someone can identify the model of the battery and a ballpark idea of how old it is (sorry for the low light);

So that's my guess as what the issue is: the battery. I had a similar issue on my Cadillac, where the battery became such an issue that on occasions when I would brake the added strain of lighting up the brake lights caused the entire dash to turn off (it was a digital dash so it was a big problem, haha). A new battery fixed the issue, it never happened again.
The following users liked this post:
irishman88 (09-10-21)
Old 12-30-09, 07:25 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

you didn't take your car to a place to have the complete charging system checked for free? what are we , your car donkeys? I got better things to do with my time, pal.

and you didn't even check for the things I said. you just keep describing the diming. stop wasting your time and ours. stop guessing and start diagnosing, or GIVE IT TO THE PROFESSIONALS AND PAY THEM.
Old 12-30-09, 08:59 PM
mmlex1987
Intermediate

I still do not think it is the battery! I think it has a grounding issue and you still are unaware if the flickering occurred prior to installing the HID kit. I personally think you would have noticed the flickering of all of the lights you have described as currently flickering. Just for some free diagnosis, bypass/disconnect your aftermarket HID kit temporarily and see if the problem goes away. You could very well have a defective ballast or something, which leads me to another question... Does this problem only happen when the HIDs are on?
Old 12-30-09, 09:58 PM
R1R
Driver

Yeah, just disconnect the HID's from the battery and see what happens.

It could also be that your alternator is going bad.

I have the same battery as you and mine is almost 4 years old. I think I am going to have to get a replacement soon.
Old 12-30-09, 10:01 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike DeAno
I still do not think it is the battery! I think it has a grounding issue and you still are unaware if the flickering occurred prior to installing the HID kit. I personally think you would have noticed the flickering of all of the lights you have described as currently flickering. Just for some free diagnosis, bypass/disconnect your aftermarket HID kit temporarily and see if the problem goes away. You could very well have a defective ballast or something, which leads me to another question... Does this problem only happen when the HIDs are on?
No. The HID kit has nothing to do with it. I went through the same and this was prior to getting HIDs & LED bulbs.

He should check the alternator, and replace battery, since in either case; and old battery is an old battery and should be changed.

you didn't take your car to a place to have the complete charging system checked for free? what are we , your car donkeys? I got better things to do with my time, pal.

and you didn't even check for the things I said. you just keep describing the diming. stop wasting your time and ours. stop guessing and start diagnosing, or GIVE IT TO THE PROFESSIONALS AND PAY THEM.
Shut the **** up, get out of here then. No one asks you, let alone begs you for your 'help', chump.

Better things to do with your time? LMAO, you clown. Why are you on an online forum in the first place then? Clearly you have time to kill.
Old 12-30-09, 10:59 PM
97'ES
Driver

my vote is a bad ground but I would definitely replace the battery, good call.

He's right, finally someone told you to shut up. Unfortunately we can't all say what were thinking 24/7 and you seem to think your special. There's suppose to be an intellectual filter between brain and mouth and yours is malfunctioning, could be a bit dirty, time for a new one. Routine maintenance lol. Your like online bi-polar its kinda funny actually yet a shame because you do have some useful knowledge between all the bs.

btw that thread showing your rear valve train at 150k on dino oil supposedly untouched im calling bull****. You cleaned it. The 1mz is a good engine, made wards ten best. The sludge bull**** is exactly what a conservative like yourself should hate, litigious nonsense drummed up by a few dumb fu ks who can't change oil and some scum**** lawyers who saw $$$. Toyota never admitted any guilt. Maybe it's you who's jealous. Btw they only made 2.5% 5 speeds because no one wants a ****ing 5 speed softie cruiser.

let us know what you find out goodrevs, sorry to jack the thread but I've grown tired of this childishness as well and moderators seem to no longer exist around here.
Old 12-30-09, 11:11 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Thank you all again for the help, just trying to sort everything out before the 60 day warrenty runs out, although I doubt they'd pay for and replace something like an old battery. I won't bother addressing llcoolpass, judging from some of your posts it seems he's established a reputation for himself already.

Mike, I wasn't aware a bad ground could cause these issue's. I'll try and get out there tomorrow and re-establish the grounds and clean the connections. I was unsure of the left ballast ground, I placed it between the bolt and plastic part of the washer fluid tank. Looking back now I can't believe I did that because that's not a true ground, is it? Which leads me to a question for you R1R whose already been a tremendous help, but how exactly did you attach it to the bolt on the washer fluid tank?

I also thought of the alternator, but I don't wanna go down that road until I've ruled out the battery. And it's likely a good idea to go ahead and replace the battery, especially with this cold weather. I also hope to do that tomorrow. I guess I better disconnect the HID lights before I bring it in. Hopefully a new battery will fix the issue.

Quick Reply: Slight flicker of lights