ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

HID Conversion on 2001 ES300

Old 12-20-09, 08:46 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Default HID Conversion on 2001 ES300

Hey Guys,

I'm going to be doing a conversion to HID's on my 2001 ES300. I've settled on 4300k and I'd like to go with a quality kit such as this below from Philips as I have heard going with cheaper kits can lead to issues.

http://www.hidxenonlights.com/lexus-...sion-kit-p-195

How difficult is the process of converting on a 2001 ES300, does anyone have experience with the above kit etc. are the type of questions I have. Of particular concern is the connecting to the positive battery terminal as I have little experience is this particular field.

Thank you very much for your time

P.S.

I found this post from a fellow member that seems to be exactly what I am concerned with, however it doesn't seem he every made the thread unfortunately.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/3752326-post25.html
Old 12-20-09, 09:23 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Its not hard, the problem with my 2001, is that the clips holding the bulbs in place, did not sit right with the aftermarket HID's...

So a dab of silicone, and bending the clips fixed that. lol

And do not get that kit. Many will say you get what you pay for, but in the end at that price it is too much to justify i have kit that has lasted me for over a year, and it was 1/5th the price, shipped...

Check the clublxus vendor, hidextra.com, they ave a GREAT promo going on and well based upon the revies all over the web they hold true to quality products.

Like i said, i spent 55$, vs. 270$ and the kit still works as well as the expensive one...
Old 12-20-09, 09:23 PM
R1R
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, make sure you buy a kit with a relay harness. The kit that you are planning to buy does not look like it includes a relay harness. If you want to do this install 100% correct, you must use a relay harness, otherwise your lights will eventually flicker or only one light might turn on initially. Also, if you don't use a relay harness, eventually your OEM connector will melt over time.

A relay harness allows the HID's to get power directly from the battery. This puts less stress on the OEM headlight wiring, which was not designed for HID's in the first place. The relay kit also allows the ballast to get full power on startup safely, which is stressful on OEM wiring if you don't use it. The HID's also warm up much faster with a relay kit installed.

Installing an HID kit on the ES300 is very easy. Taking out the headlights and side-marker lights is also very easy, which makes the install simple. I just put a new 6000k HID kit on my car, but 4300k will give you the most lumen output. Also, I agree with 01LEXPL, $270 is way too much money these days for an HID kit. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited by R1R; 12-20-09 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-20-09, 09:33 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Thank you both very much for the reply. I thought $270 sounded very high, but being I have no experience with this type of upgrade on a car I wasn't sure. I appreciate the advice on a relay, I had noticed some kits had it while others didn't. Could either of you direct me to a cheaper, quality kit then that is 4300k (looking for the pure bright look), has a relay and uses the D2R bulbs (apparently that's what the 2001 ES300 takes)?

Also, I think I have the non-HID headlamps, but I'm not sure as I don't have the car with me as of now as I just purchased it yesterday. Is it really that big of an issue, because it doesn't seem like the HID and non-HID headlamps on a 2001 ES300 are that much different.

And just our of curiosity, where did you end up placing the ballast? I took a quick look under the hood and it seems tight up front where the headlights are.

Thank you both very much for your replies. I especially appreciate help when it saves me money!

Last edited by GoodRevs; 12-20-09 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-20-09, 09:47 PM
R1R
Driver

Before you do anything, first check to make sure if the car has factory HID's or not. D2R bulbs are for cars that already have HID's from the factory. If your car already has factory HID's, then there is no point in buying an HID kit. The headlights housing is completely different for HID and non-HID factory cars. You can tell just by looking at the reflector design, whether or not it is factory HID. If you have a picture of the front of the car, we can tell you. If your car does not have a factory HID's, then you need an HID kit with H7 low beam bulbs. I bought my kit from these guys, $100 overnight shipped with relay harness (coupon code=300c):

http://shop.3bspecialties.com/
Old 12-20-09, 09:53 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the front. I'm sure the bulbs aren't HID though, it's obvious when the lights are on at night. My father has an 03 ES with HID and the difference is night and day (literally). So, my 2001 ES300 has non-HID factory installed bulbs. I wasn't sure if the headlamps were HID but I suppose it'd be unusual for the car to have HID headlamps but not HID lights. Therefore, I definitely need the kit, but you're saying the D2R HID bulbs are only for replacing existing HID units and the H7 HID bulbs are for replacing existing non-HID units?
Old 12-20-09, 10:04 PM
R1R
Driver

Yes, D2R's are for cars with existing reflector type factory HID's. These are just bulbs. Your car will need a 35 watt H7 HID kit with ballast and all wiring + relay harness.
Old 12-20-09, 10:10 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Thanks again for the quick reply. So I found this kit at the site you provided, seems like exactly what you're describing I need,

http://shop.3bspecialties.com/3BSpec...-HID-H7-4k.htm

At the very bottom it lists "Harness Options" with either Plug and Play Harness or Relay Harness. Go with the relay harness, correct?
Old 12-21-09, 12:21 AM
R1R
Driver

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
Thanks again for the quick reply. So I found this kit at the site you provided, seems like exactly what you're describing I need,

http://shop.3bspecialties.com/3BSpec...-HID-H7-4k.htm

At the very bottom it lists "Harness Options" with either Plug and Play Harness or Relay Harness. Go with the relay harness, correct?
Yes, get the relay harness and make sure to use the coupon code (300c). Also, in the comments section, tell them you want the free overnight shipping. Call them and make sure they have it in stock, before you place your order.
Old 12-21-09, 07:09 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Thank You R1R, you have been more than helpful. My last question is regarding the relay. Is it overly difficult to wire it into the ballasts? I'm guessing the instructions included cover the topic, but I'm still concerned on how the relay works and if I'll be able to do it.

This diagram looks fairly helpful. And that kit's relay should fit directly into the OEM bulb socket?

Last edited by GoodRevs; 12-21-09 at 08:14 AM.
Old 12-21-09, 09:07 AM
R1R
Driver

It is very simple. I just did it last week. One side of the relay connects to the battery and OEM headlight harness. The opposite side just connects to the ballast. There are also two grounds. One goes to the battery and the other goes to any free place on the car. Not to worry, it is very simple. You don't even need to use a diagram. I'll help you out when you get it. The relay from 3BSpecialties works with the ES300 for sure. I tried a relay from Ebay once and I could not get it to work.
Old 12-21-09, 09:39 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Thanks R1R. I called and they had them in stock and said I should have it tomorrow if I order by 3pm, so I ordered overnight with the relay harness for $100. I did a lot of reading on whether or not I really need the relay harness and it seems pretty divided, so I figured I'd play it safe and avoid frying the OEM wiring like you suggested.

I think I'll do this work on Saturday because it's supposed to be 40 degrees that day up in NH, haha. I'll set up my laptop in the garage so I'll have access to tutorials and diagrams if need be.

Thank you very much for the help R1R, hopefully I can get it wired properly. Where did you happen to put the ballasts and relay's btw, it looks pretty snug all around underneath the hood.

Last edited by GoodRevs; 12-21-09 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-21-09, 11:06 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

****. I gotta look into this relay business. I have been running a plug'n'play kit all along.

I never knew about the sensitive wiring... :S
Old 12-21-09, 11:27 AM
R1R
Driver

Originally Posted by GoodRevs
Thank you very much for the help R1R, hopefully I can get it wired properly. Where did you happen to put the ballasts and relay's btw, it looks pretty snug all around underneath the hood.
Once you get your kit and are ready to go, I'll send you some pictures of my setup. The ballasts come with brackets, but I used 3M double sided tape. You will have to buy some if you don't already have it. The kit also comes with zip ties. I'll take pics of where you should run your relay wiring and where you should zip tie it. It is easy.
Old 12-21-09, 08:17 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by R1R
Once you get your kit and are ready to go, I'll send you some pictures of my setup. The ballasts come with brackets, but I used 3M double sided tape. You will have to buy some if you don't already have it. The kit also comes with zip ties. I'll take pics of where you should run your relay wiring and where you should zip tie it. It is easy.
Please do. I want to do it right, in the spring. Too cold now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HID Conversion on 2001 ES300