ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Damaged fuel line - please help

Old 10-31-09, 04:30 AM
moskiter
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged fuel line - please help

I just discovered what was the cause of fuel leak in the Lexus I bought.. It's ES300... somebody was trying to change fuel filter probably by removing the lower bolt (in the picture) which can not be spun and the upper (filter's) bolt should be moved. This way he damaged the fuel line where fuel leaks now (in the connection from the bottom of the fuel filter). I checked where the fuel line goes and it goes directly to the firewall without any connection on its way. I have no idea where can I buy this line and how to replace it. What should I do to fix it?

EDIT: it is 1996 ES300 model

or maybe I can somehow patch the line together with the bolt and lower portion of the thread...?

Last edited by moskiter; 10-31-09 at 05:45 AM.
Old 10-31-09, 06:18 AM
moskiter
Driver School Candidate

OK

I did some googling and found out that fuel lines are normally made of steel. I found something like THIS

I don't think it is going to fit my Lexus and I don't know how I can connect it to my line but it gave me a bit of hope... I found out also that some people use cheaper, rubber lines, but I have no idea how I would connect a fuel filter to rubber hose...
Old 11-01-09, 11:34 AM
moskiter
Driver School Candidate

so finally I tore off the fuel line and went to an auto part store only to find out that I can't buy a pipe with this kind of connector and they recommend to either look for it at junk cars or use old connector somehow...
Old 11-01-09, 01:38 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

junk yard is your best bet, it is best to replace the entire line because you are dealing with app 60 psi of pressuruzed gas. There are several style fittings that can be used to splice a section of line, but it is best to have a professional deal with this type of repair.
Old 11-04-09, 01:09 AM
moskiter
Driver School Candidate

it is always the easiest to have a professional help, however I'd love to do it myslelf. The problem why replacing the entire line may be complicated is that it goes through the firewall without any connection and it probably goes directly to the fuel pump...
Old 11-04-09, 02:03 AM
twiinccut
Driver School Candidate

I think this is enough .....
I do agree with you. Those are the most effective way
Old 11-04-09, 03:19 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

well there are several companies that make professional fittings. One that I am familar with is SwedgeLock, you can get a compression union that is designed to handle at least 1000 psi. It is easy to use, but you must make a clean cut on the line,, ie a tubing cutter. The only downside is that these fittings are expensive. You can sometimes find them on ebay, but you will still be looking at around $40 or more dollars for 1 fitting. Make sure you use steel, not brass.
Old 11-05-09, 07:36 AM
moskiter
Driver School Candidate

Thank you George. In the meantime I found out about another method of of connecting fuel/brake lines. Using a flare tool like these --> http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/tools...e=snapon-store

These are expensive high-end ones but there are many cheaper ones available. And firstly of course I need to cut a line at some junk yard but it won't be hard since most Lexus have the same connectors and lines I guess and junk yards are packed with those cars... And this line cutter looks awesome --> http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Old 11-05-09, 07:48 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Snap on makes some excellent tools, but you do pay the price. Craftsman tools (from sears) are about half the price, but still very good quality. Make sure that you buy a flare tool for mild steel, also a double flare is much prefered over a single flare. The fuel line has around 60 psi, so leak tight fitting is manditory.

I would suggest cutting out a much longer piece of tubing, and using the extra to practice doing a couple flares. Using the tool is not very difficult, but I recomend a couple practice flares before you do the actual repair.
Old 11-05-09, 08:27 AM
moskiter
Driver School Candidate

Thanks,
do you know what bubble flaring is? And since Lexus uses all metric measurements I will have to buy one with metric adaptors I believe... or not? First of all I need to measure the outside diameter of my fuel line with a caliper...
Old 11-07-09, 05:56 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

I would suggest cutting off the old end, and then using a flare union to splice on a replacement end. From the looks of your picture, you are going to have to cut a couple inches off the end of the line. I imagine that would leave you will too short of a line to easily flare, and then hook to the fuel filter. With a flare union.
Of course I would at least suggest using a swedglelock union to do this type of splice. You can look up swedgelocks homepage, they have a good description on how to install the fitting. It is very easy to do. We use these type of fittings for compressed gases all the time.
Old 04-07-14, 10:28 PM
erockxl
Driver School Candidate

Default Damaged, fuel, line

Look tape that fuel line up with Gorilla Tape and sell it,