ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

A/C recharge on 97 ES300

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-09, 10:50 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default A/C recharge on 97 ES300

well i ususally get a AC recharge about once a year and i think its about time for another one. I usually take it to my mechanic but i've seen the R-134 cans at the parts store so i'd like to do this myself. Should i let my mechanic do this or do it myself? What kind do i need?

My compressor has been making noises for about year buts its still kicking. still blows cold but lately with this FL heat its not blowing cold at full capacity. I'd like to get a new one but there so expensive so i just keep doing the refill and that seems to work for months. I've done this twice.

Thanks
Old 09-06-09, 11:04 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have to fill it up once a year, I would recommend having it leak checked. A common point of leaks is the service ports. With the proper tools, the valves can be replaced without discharging the system. They sell cans of freon with stop leak mixed in. These are a very bad idea, only good for someone unloading their problems onto the next buyer. I would strongly recommend against these.

What type of noises is it making? It could be as simple as the clutch bearing going out. Again this needs specialized tools to replace.

The cans that you see at the store are a very poor substitute for a gauge set. But if you have your mind set on this, the one thing that I strongly recommend.
WEAR SAFETY GLASSES while working with compressed freon. If something goes wrong they will protect your eyes. Take my word on this, I have both ASE and EPA certs for ac work, I wear safety glasses, and I have been surprised a few times. Do not take chances.
Old 09-07-09, 05:32 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by GEORGE_JET
If you have to fill it up once a year, I would recommend having it leak checked. A common point of leaks is the service ports. With the proper tools, the valves can be replaced without discharging the system. They sell cans of freon with stop leak mixed in. These are a very bad idea, only good for someone unloading their problems onto the next buyer. I would strongly recommend against these.

What type of noises is it making? It could be as simple as the clutch bearing going out. Again this needs specialized tools to replace.

The cans that you see at the store are a very poor substitute for a gauge set. But if you have your mind set on this, the one thing that I strongly recommend.
WEAR SAFETY GLASSES while working with compressed freon. If something goes wrong they will protect your eyes. Take my word on this, I have both ASE and EPA certs for ac work, I wear safety glasses, and I have been surprised a few times. Do not take chances.
Yea i believe its the clutchs inside making the noise. Like i said it blows cold but during the day its harder to cool when the FL heat in baking on the car. I've seen some cyclinder cans with a the guage on it that can give readings on the A/C...

Let me know what i should do... Thanks
Old 09-07-09, 11:21 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

The clutchis externally mounted on the compressor, and can be replaced without discharging the system.This takes a couple speciallized tools so is not really practical for most people. Typically your low side pressure should be around 40~ 45 with normal ambient, fast idle (1200 rpm). with a fan blowing on the condensor. Keep the can upright! The can will start to freeze, you can use warm water to keep the can from freezing over DO NOT USE A HEAT GUN< OR OPEN FLAME!!! very dangerous. And wear safety glasses.
Old 09-07-09, 03:04 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

The clutchis externally mounted on the compressor, and can be replaced without discharging the system.This takes a couple speciallized tools so is not really practical for most people. Typically your low side pressure should be around 40~ 45 with normal ambient, fast idle (1200 rpm). with a fan blowing on the condensor. Keep the can upright! The can will start to freeze, you can use warm water to keep the can from freezing over DO NOT USE A HEAT GUN< OR OPEN FLAME!!! very dangerous. And wear safety glasses.
SO does the AC need to blowing when i'm adding the can? i added in the fron right where the inlet cap is? it looks like a screw with a black cover on it?
Old 09-07-09, 04:47 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Set the AC on max cool. I am not positive about the 97 (don't have my manuals at this moment). But if you follow the line, I think you will find that the fitting up front goes into the condenser ( which is the high pressure side). this is not the one that you want.

The low pressure side is near the firewall, passenger side, and a little ways down. You will have to look around a little to find it. I prefer to fill my system a little on the low side, (40~42). It will cool better a little on the low side, better than if you add a little too much.
Old 09-07-09, 04:53 PM
tromly
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Set the AC on max cool. I am not positive about the 97 (don't have my manuals at this moment). But if you follow the line, I think you will find that the fitting up front goes into the condenser ( which is the high pressure side). this is not the one that you want.

The low pressure side is near the firewall, passenger side, and a little ways down. You will have to look around a little to find it. I prefer to fill my system a little on the low side, (40~42). It will cool better a little on the low side, better than if you add a little too much.
+1 George Jet, a little less is much better than too much
Old 09-07-09, 04:53 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Thanks, i thought you used the fitting i the front?
Old 06-13-16, 07:55 PM
belialjaso
Driver School Candidate

My a/c is making a noise. It then shuts off and light for ac in car flashes.. i also smelled like a wiring buring smell. I dont know where to really start seems like its starting to be one thing after another but i love the car. Can someone point me in the direction to start trying to figure out what i can do to fix
Old 06-14-16, 12:22 PM
mmatheny
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Your compressor could be locked up. The burning smell could be the AC clutch.