ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

First car ever bought is a 94 ES300, but I'm having a few issues already

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-09, 12:23 PM
ChelNam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation First car ever bought is a 94 ES300, but I'm having a few issues already

Nothing major.. but I noticed that a few things lighting up on the dashboard of the ES300 that I was curious about. I had Engine Check, ABS both on and O/D off blinking on and off as I drove(even though I had Overdrive on).

This is not only my first Lexus, but my first car so I'm a bit anxious to get to the bottom of whats causing those to show up. I took it to my local Lexus dealership in Queens, NY and they gave me the following codes:

P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor)

P0325 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor)

P0330 Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2)

P1300 Igniter Circuit Malfunction

Also gave me a price of about $1,300-$1,400 for the parts. The guy at the dealership told me most of the parts are universal and are used in any brand of car and so I might want to go to a local mechanic shop as it might be cheaper, but I'm on the fence as to what to do.

Any ideas?
Old 07-17-09, 12:39 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow.....yeah, thats an expensinve job. The knock sensors are probably $500 labor.

I see your not too far from me (Stamford, CT). I should be able to bang all that out in 8 hours takign my time in my garage for a LOT less then a shop. The knock sensors I have replaced many times on several different cars. they cost about $150 each at the dealer. The O2 sensor costs about $175 at the dealer. The igniter circuit I;m not sure about. (I get 25% off parts at my local Toyota dealer, same parts as the Lexus).

Most of that $1300 is labor. When doign the knock sensors, there is about $100 in additional parts needed to be changed as well (gaskets).

The O2 sensor is a direct job. Nothing else needs to be taken apart or replaced when changing that. You do need an O2 sensor remover and a breaker bar.

Also, I'd change the spark plugs while at it sence they are cheap.

The ABS light is a seperate part, and you need to get the error code for that. 90% of the time, it's one of the wheel speed sensors, which cost about $150 (if I recall correctly), and is normally a pretty easy change. When the ABS light is on, the Anti-Lock part of the brakes do not work.

O/D blinking is another issue in it self. I need to look up how to pull that code as well.

I'm busy as hell doing car work right now, so I'll look that up later, as well as explain to you how to get the ABS error code as well.
Old 07-17-09, 12:47 PM
ChelNam
Driver School Candidate

Awesome man, thanks for the info, keep it coming if possible
Old 07-17-09, 12:52 PM
angmedic91
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChelNam
Nothing major.. but I noticed that a few things lighting up on the dashboard of the ES300 that I was curious about. I had Engine Check, ABS both on and O/D off blinking on and off as I drove(even though I had Overdrive on).

This is not only my first Lexus, but my first car so I'm a bit anxious to get to the bottom of whats causing those to show up. I took it to my local Lexus dealership in Queens, NY and they gave me the following codes:

P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor)

P0325 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor)

P0330 Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2)

P1300 Igniter Circuit Malfunction

Also gave me a price of about $1,300-$1,400 for the parts. The guy at the dealership told me most of the parts are universal and are used in any brand of car and so I might want to go to a local mechanic shop as it might be cheaper, but I'm on the fence as to what to do.

Any ideas?
I'm sort of new my self to CL and a first time owner of a 1998 Lexus ES 300, but I've learned alot by reading the thread on this forum. I'll try to help you, from what I know already.

Bank 1 refers to the front of the engine or front half of the engine and bank 2 refers to the back side. O2 sensor bank 1, means oxygen sensor on front half of exhaust manifold. Here in California with its strict smog emission standard tends to make the parts pricey. An oxygen sensor from Kragen Auto Parts ran me 170 bills and I replaced it myself. Usually the dealer charges twice that amount for parts. The sensor I bought was a Bosch and my engine has two, front and back and a third one post catyalitic converter.

Knock sensor, I'm not familiar with that one, but I read on this forum that one guy replaced his and it was around 800 bills, dont know if that was just for one or two or more.

Igniter Circuit Malfunction, clueless there on that one two, cant help you there.

But, what I can suggest is you buy the parts somewhere else other than the dealer and install what you can and the items you cant install, take them to the dealer or a trusting mechanic and have them install your parts. Here in Cali, labor costs at the dealer is about 100 bills a hour. Hope I was of some help...............
Old 07-17-09, 01:20 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just took a couple quick pics.

02 sensor: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...G/IMG_2988.jpg

Knock sensor. It's under a LOT of things. This is my friends ca rI changed them in about 3 weeks ago: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...G/IMG_2325.jpg

This is the diagnostic port location. It;s on the passenger side of the engine. It;s the black rectangle. The top openes. This is what you will use to get the error code for the ABS light later on when I egt the directions for you: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...G/IMG_2989.jpg
Old 07-17-09, 01:33 PM
ChelNam
Driver School Candidate

Damn, looks like that Knock 1 sensor is definitely a mechanic job from the looks of it. Thanks for the pics ASG and the input ang, extremely helpful.

Any thoughts on what the O/D blinking means? The manual says its a problem w/ the transmission, but other than that dont have a clue :\