ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Lucasoil additives - tranny and oil - are they good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-09, 09:44 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Lucasoil additives - tranny and oil - are they good?

I'm going to change my oil and tranny fluid on Monday and was wondering if these 2 products are good to use? My dad's friend who is a mechanic says he recommends them.

Car is a ES 300 2001 with 120,000 km on it. Oil will be 5w30 quaker state synthetic. Tranny fluid is castrol import ATF.

http://www.lucasoil.ca/products/prod...cat=Automotive

and

http://www.lucasoil.ca/products/prod...cat=Automotive

Any opinions or negative stuff? Can't hurt my car can it?
Old 06-21-09, 05:33 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Read on the site that it's good as preventative maintainance, gonna go ahead with it...unless anyone tells me my engine will explode!!!
Old 06-21-09, 07:46 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Don't bother. Your car is a baby. ~180km's here and the thing runs mint. All it gets is regular oil [Amsoil FTW!] and that is it. *i have an 01 as well.

No need to mess around with the tranny fluid, my mech told me this, unless it is the time to change the oil, then do it. Otherwise do not pour any of that additive junk into it!

Mind you he works on lexus' imports/diesel trucks & anything. And he is a firm believer in NOT using additives in PERFECTLY working cars. there is NO point in doing so. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

By the way, has the car been run on synthetic all its life? If not do not bother pouring in synthetic go with regular oil!

Synthetic Oil Stabilizer - useless, synthetic already has this inside as part of the oil, otherwise it would not work.

Transmission Fix - Is your tranny exhibiting signs of wear/bad shifts? Probably not, another money waster/gimmick.

Side note, my father had a caravan, the van was barely driven, used some of that stuff when it was 'getting rough' *the shifting* and it did NOTHING! And a whole bunch of mechanics suggested it and confirmed it should 'do the trick'/ 3 months later and only 135km's on the clock it was dead...

So... NO do not out this junk in the car it = useless for you.
Old 06-21-09, 09:13 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

I am not sure if it's been run on synthetic or not, I should find out. I bought the car used in mint condition when it had 60,000 km. Been running synthetic in it ever since. Isn't it better to run synthetic anyways?

My tranny fluid interval is now so I gotta change it, along with the filter and gasket.

And no my car isn't displaying any signs of anything, only thought about adding this stuff since it might be better and a preventative thing too?

I only plan on adding 300 ml of the oil additive as oil cap is 4.7 and the jug of quaker state is 4.4.
Old 06-21-09, 09:21 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Also what Amsoil regular oil are you using? I use Amsoil in my Harley but don't see any non synthetic ones for cars on the site?
Old 06-22-09, 11:06 AM
buci
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Using additives in engine or trans oil is the same as using them in foods(NOT GOOD).Take a look at this before you screw up something.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

Quote"I only plan on adding 300 ml of the oil additive as oil cap is 4.7 and the jug of quaker state is 4.4."

Maybe you should use Lucas and a Magnetic fuel saver too and save some gas while your at it.It will line up your gas molecules in straight lines,very straight lines.

Last edited by buci; 06-22-09 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-22-09, 06:55 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bumbobee
Also what Amsoil regular oil are you using? I use Amsoil in my Harley but don't see any non synthetic ones for cars on the site?
I do not recall, it is whatever the manual suggests! Yes i have and still use Amsoil every now and again depending on the stock my mech. has and if not i have another brand they use.

In terms of 'synthetic being better' lol. Is this ever a misconception. To have a car properly run on synthetic you have to start FRESH.

So a full engine flush/clean is supposed to be done prior to converting to synthetic... Stick to regular oil. I notice i my vehicle it goes in golden it comes out golden many miles later!
Old 06-22-09, 07:24 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
I do not recall, it is whatever the manual suggests! Yes i have and still use Amsoil every now and again depending on the stock my mech. has and if not i have another brand they use.

In terms of 'synthetic being better' lol. Is this ever a misconception. To have a car properly run on synthetic you have to start FRESH.

So a full engine flush/clean is supposed to be done prior to converting to synthetic... Stick to regular oil. I notice i my vehicle it goes in golden it comes out golden many miles later!
Hmm, so random question, my motorcycle which I got new didn't come with synthetic oil for the break in. I switched to synthetic after 1400 km when the break in was complete. Does that mean synthetic isn't going to work in my bike because I didn't start "fresh"?

Should I flush/clean the engine and switch to synthetic then?

/confused
Old 06-22-09, 07:46 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

dunno, break ins are a wee bit different...

But vehicles are not an exception, can you do it? Sure. Can it have adverse affects? [of which i do not recall at the moment] Yes.

I have had numerous debates/discussions with a few automotive gurus and they all say the same.

If you want to switch to synthetic properly, many times the person wont. Because it is costly to clean/flush the motor and for what? 1,000-2000 more miles/km's?

In my eyes = useless, and furthermore i believe in leaving it as it was made to be... If the car came like that [purchased used] i wont do anything to change how it was run for the last [previous] 80k miles...
Old 06-22-09, 09:15 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Hmm yea, I posted in another forum and they said using synthetic in my car isn't beneficial and I should just use regular. Dunno if I should switch back after I did 60,000 km on synthetic.

They also said the fresh start stuff is BS. Not sure who to believe.
Old 06-23-09, 06:41 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

^^ Believe who you want. Now that i have more details, so yes keep running on synthetic then.

Especially since you ran it for the last 60k...
Old 06-23-09, 08:05 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Rule of thumb here is once you convert your car/bike to run on the synthetics, is not an advisable practice to go backward and run on the conventional oils again. Lucas is a good product to use for preventive maintenance, however the bottom line is there is no such thing as a "Genie in a bottle" or a "Mechanic in a bottle".

Hmm, so random question, my motorcycle which I got new didn't come with synthetic oil for the break in. I switched to synthetic after 1400 km when the break in was complete. Does that mean synthetic isn't going to work in my bike because I didn't start "fresh"?

Should I flush/clean the engine and switch to synthetic then?
Answer to your question is simple. You are the owner since the bike was new. You rode it thru the break in period and you converted it to synthetic; you are fine. You did exactly what is advised to be done when the car/bike did not come with synthetic to begin with. As I stated above, now that it is on the synthetic fluids, you should keep it there, and it is not advisable to revert back to the conventional oils. So in essence, you DID start fresh. No worries.

Some people will argue that Synthetics are better; others will argue that Conventionals are better. It truly is a matter of choice, and in some cases climate in which you live in. Advantage of synthetics is the "lubricity" factor. Synthetics have a higher lubrication threshold, don't suffer from viscosity breakdown as quickly as conventional oils, and will adhere to the oiled surfaces(cylinder walls to name a few) alot better then regular oil . No they are not "super oils", however they will last a bit longer than the regular oils; advantage = longer oil change intervals, better internal lubrication of the engine parts, disadvantage = Pricier then regular oils.

Bottom line,, if you like the regular oils, use them. If you like the synthetics, use them. Each side of this debate will have both positive as well as negative points. Is pretty much the same as the debate over Hybrid vs. Non-Hybrid.
Old 06-23-09, 10:15 AM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Wow how do I view 2nd pg from my phone?
Old 06-23-09, 02:08 PM
Bumbobee
Pit Crew

Thanks for the post trukn1.

I changed my oil/tranny fluid today, used synthetic oil + some lucasoil additive. ATF fluid + a bottle of lucas tranny fluid. All good so far, I like how smooth the car feels after every oil change.

Ill keep you guys posted if my engine/transmission explode which might be the case according to some peeps here
Old 06-24-09, 12:13 PM
97'ES
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Synthetic oil being better is not a matter of choice or opinion. Start running it ANYTIME! Less friction equals better protection, PERIOD. The package of additives in a quality synthetic is not comparable to any conventional oil. Any synthetic oil offers much better protection against high temperature breakdown as trukn pointed out and much better flow at low temperatures as well. Worried about sludge? Run mobil 1 and never again worry. Your car might leak a little more if it already has a problem, but synthetic will not cause a leak. Going back probably isn't a good idea, but who the hell would want to. This **** has been around since the 70's guys pick up a book.

Quick Reply: Lucasoil additives - tranny and oil - are they good?