ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2ES Project Thread: Custom LED Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-09, 09:42 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Teaser

Old 09-04-09, 09:46 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

sleek isaac..
Old 09-05-09, 11:56 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Lol, don't think people liked my teasers (sorry! lol)

Big update as this is the FINAL design of my 3rd brake lights, meaning I will NOT be changing this design in the future since I deem it really good (yay!)

Therefore, without further ado, I give you the rest of the progress pictures. Here is the set up in the back as there was an uber huge amount of space for wiring since I removed the diffusor.

How it still looks in the front, along with how it will look in the housing.

Pics on the car without it on in different angles (ignore the seats!)

Pictures during the afternoon, where the sun is brightest. Sorry for the crappy shots, my camera started acting up...again...grrr

Pictures during the afternoon, around 5pm so its starting to go down...

AND the pics you are all probably wanting. Night time shots, where my camera pretty much died due to the amount of light going into its aperture (lol). As you can see, its a different level of lighting. Super bright compared to OEM and much much more noticeable. I'll definitely never be rearended again for having crappy lights during the day (v1.0 did this quite well too hehe)

This picture is with flash, so the OEMs on the tails are brighter than usual. Apparently the top row of my tail lights don't light up when I step on the brake....at least not for now

Hope you guys enjoyed this update. I will follow up with more when I can. Seeing as I'll need at least 4 days to bake, clear, make diffusors, then take measurements of the tails, it may be a short while. I'll be happy to answer any questions though, as well as requests I guess
Old 09-06-09, 12:45 AM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice, now you want to make one for a 3es ahahaha JK
but good job man
Old 09-06-09, 11:07 PM
Superjatt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DDEENNGGG that looks amazingly amazing
good work bro.. i want a club lexus sticker though
Old 09-07-09, 05:39 AM
BBriBro
Driver

Nice job, I see you too have experience "redoing" what you thought was finished. I'm looking forward to seeing your tails. It sounds as though you are going to make a PCB and I'm curious how you will go around the corner with that. Good luck ! and keep us posted.
Old 09-09-09, 10:12 AM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Originally Posted by DixonPai
Very nice, now you want to make one for a 3es ahahaha JK
but good job man
Could be arranged but I don't have a 3ES 3rd brake light . But thanks
Originally Posted by Superjatt
DDEENNGGG that looks amazingly amazing
good work bro.. i want a club lexus sticker though
Thanks AJ. You'll be able to see it at the meet on Thursday if you are able to make it
Originally Posted by BBriBro
Nice job, I see you too have experience "redoing" what you thought was finished. I'm looking forward to seeing your tails. It sounds as though you are going to make a PCB and I'm curious how you will go around the corner with that. Good luck ! and keep us posted.
Haha, I'm OCD when it comes to improving past projects. It sorta carried over from detailing haha. For the tails, I was thinking a _-_ design, sorta like the 1LS but turned counterclockwise. As for the corner part, I'm not too sure how I will do it but I am considering something out of a BMW 5 series, where they have a set of 3 LEDs just on the far corner of the tail lights. I guess the design will go _-_ : or something. Sorta hard to explain on paper though.

They will all be PCB until I get a laser printer to etch copper boards
Old 09-13-09, 08:02 AM
psedog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats on getting this project finished. It sucks that you had to find out the hard way about the voltage fluctuation. On your test did you rev the engine at all? You voltage raises as RPM's raise as well.
Be careful, the LED mod bug won't stop once you start
I agree with you. Cutting the PCB boards are a pain the butt. I found it easier to use an exacto knife to trace and then use a pair of pliers to snap the piece off. Then use a dremel to clean it all up.

I'm working on my own project as well. I finished up my front fender lights and am almost done with my taillights. Those were a pain in the butt to open (I actually destroyed one and had to buy another). Next will be the headlights. As you did, I bought Halo's as well. I am also going to do add projectors to the headlights.

Project thread
Side lights video

Taillights video

Old 09-13-09, 01:05 PM
cyco
Pole Position

Not gonna lie, those G35 lights are pretty sweet.
Old 09-14-09, 02:32 AM
psedog
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Cyco. Hopefully it will inspire some ideas in the original posters future efforts.
Old 09-14-09, 01:01 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Very cool. Definitely wish I had the circular lights as those I can be much more creative on. I might take the side marker idea though. I picked up a set of Windom sidemarkers off ebay a while back and there is just enough space for about 4 LEDs in there
Old 09-19-09, 05:27 PM
swifty562
Lead Lap

i just jizz in my pants! great job guys! i'm a LED,SMD freak... i plan on doin LED,SMD mods... but haven't had the chance... ***college is alot of studying and partying*** hahaha.
Old 09-26-09, 02:35 AM
sfolexus
Driver School Candidate

Nice job. You should consider doing the same thing for the front turn signals or even incorporate some white LEDs in the lower air dam like on the new Audis.
Old 09-29-09, 02:08 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Originally Posted by swifty562
i just jizz in my pants! great job guys! i'm a LED,SMD freak... i plan on doin LED,SMD mods... but haven't had the chance... ***college is alot of studying and partying*** hahaha.
Thanks bud . Definitely finding now that school is super busy work, probably since I just transferred but still haha. Currently working on acquiring another set of 95-96 tails so I can work on it slowly. That way I wont be pressed for time and I can come up with different designs
Originally Posted by sfolexus
Nice job. You should consider doing the same thing for the front turn signals or even incorporate some white LEDs in the lower air dam like on the new Audis.
Haha, I would do the turn signals but I don't know how to overcome the hyperblink. Still have not found a way since I'm still learning about it . I might do bars for turn signals, sorta like how the BMW M5 has it though. Sorta still coming up with designs

Small update!

Been super busy with school but the 3rd brake is still going strong. So strong that I'm sorta feeling bad for people behind me since it lights up their faces extremely well lol. But, at least its more noticeable during the day than my current tails are

Anyway, I've been researching reflectors to enhance the light of the LED during the day and night. I cannot source the real reflectors but I did discover a simple and easy method to use. Liberty Bells sold from Michael's of all places! By drilling or tapping a hole big enough for the round part of the LED to go through, the light seen is intensified. Although the light pattern is reduced from 120 degrees to about 60 degrees or so, the fact of the matter is that you can see the light even better during the day! Here are a series of pictures courtesy of a member from HID planet who came up with the idea

Pretty much I've been cutting and finding the right glue to mount them with. I've settled on plastic/metal glue and doubling its grip with silicone/caulk. So far they look great! Pretty much, once I get the measurements or the second set of tails, it will be a pretty simple day of soldering and cutting
Old 09-29-09, 07:18 PM
BBriBro
Driver

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Liberty Bells sold from Michael's of all places!
pretty ingenious, I see some potential here !

Quick Reply: 2ES Project Thread: Custom LED Lighting