ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Replaced exhaust car doesn't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-09, 07:08 PM
mogalapr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced exhaust car doesn't start

Today I replaced the exhaust on my Lexus ES 300 - 1998 Year. I replaced the center piper and the muffler. Everything went fine. The oxygen sensor took a little tries but it looks fine (Not 100% sure though).

I didn't have any problem with the car over the winter or even before the job. The car wouldn't start any more. Any ideas what is going on?

The battery is fine. Doors and security system work just fine. It tries to start but the engine never takes over. It's like the engine is not firing. I borrowed a diagnostic meter. Despite being plugged it gives a message that there is no communication.
Old 04-24-09, 07:33 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Disconnect the O2 sensors, check your fuses, Try to re-establish communication.
Old 04-24-09, 07:35 PM
mogalapr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GEORGE_JET
Disconnect the O2 sensors, check your fuses, Try to re-establish communication.
I just touched the sensor next to the catalytic converter. Is there a different one? It is a 1998 model. Can an O2 sensor stall a car? It cranks fine just doesn't start.
Old 04-24-09, 07:46 PM
mogalapr
Driver School Candidate

Fuses are good. Still no communication. Any ideas?
Old 04-24-09, 08:04 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Use a voltmeter, and make sure that both of the fuses are supplying power to the ecm. Measure the voltage at the ecm connector. Also verify that the grounds are good. I ask about the O2 sensor because the harness may have been damaged,/ shorted.
Old 04-24-09, 08:09 PM
mogalapr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GEORGE_JET
Use a voltmeter, and make sure that both of the fuses are supplying power to the ecm. Measure the voltage at the ecm connector. Also verify that the grounds are good. I ask about the O2 sensor because the harness may have been damaged,/ shorted.
going out with a volt meter. Any suggestion/place to check grounding? What happens if the harness is damaged / shorted? It might have because the capon top of it loose. Had to turn it hard to get it off the rusted pipe. Am I looking at an expensive repair?
Old 04-24-09, 08:23 PM
mogalapr
Driver School Candidate

Fuses look good. Read almost zero ohms across and beeps too.
Old 04-25-09, 07:04 PM
mmatheny
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

But again, are you getting voltage to the ECM? That's critical!
Old 04-25-09, 07:17 PM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

Check the connector at the ECM for power,on both incomming power leads. You need to establish communication with the ecm. Or you could just start replacing parts, but that gets expensive
Old 04-25-09, 09:02 PM
ivory98es3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure the fuel pump is working too.....the o2 sensor doesn'y really have anything to do with engine start. All it does is measure the output of the catylatic converter to make sure it is doing its job.
Old 04-26-09, 12:14 AM
BoostedE21
Pole Position

IIRC, disconnecting the oxygen sensor just sends the computer into 60% duty cycle, which would still allow you to run. On the other hand, have you checked to see if you're getting spark at the spark plugs? pull your fuel pump relay, pull out a spark plug, and see if you can get it to arc over on the valve cover or something (wear leather gloves or you're in for a shock). Or if you have a timing light, you could just use that to see if it can read the spark in each wire.
Old 04-26-09, 12:17 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you killed the ecu with the welder or maybe something unusual happened re: O-2 sensor

Last edited by llcoolpass; 04-26-09 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-26-09, 01:02 AM
GEORGE_JET
Lead Lap

[QUOTE=llcoolpass;4469520]you killed the ecu with the welder

Man, I didn't even think about a welder, but if he had been welding the new pipe on, the ECM might have been toasted, along with a few other modules.
Old 04-26-09, 03:30 AM
mogalapr
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=GEORGE_JET;4469565]
Originally Posted by llcoolpass
you killed the ecu with the welder

Man, I didn't even think about a welder, but if he had been welding the new pipe on, the ECM might have been toasted, along with a few other modules.
There was no welding involved. Just cut the old rusty screws and piped the new center pipe in with new gasket and screws. The oxygen sensor was tough to remove so had use some force that broke the top casing on the sensor.

The igniter is not receiving any voltage (checked all pins). Should I look at replacing the ECM? What do I need to do - any recalibration?
Old 04-26-09, 03:31 AM
mogalapr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BoostedE21
IIRC, disconnecting the oxygen sensor just sends the computer into 60% duty cycle, which would still allow you to run. On the other hand, have you checked to see if you're getting spark at the spark plugs? pull your fuel pump relay, pull out a spark plug, and see if you can get it to arc over on the valve cover or something (wear leather gloves or you're in for a shock). Or if you have a timing light, you could just use that to see if it can read the spark in each wire.
There is no arc. The igniter is not receiving any feedback.

Quick Reply: Replaced exhaust car doesn't start