ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

01 ES 300 Parking brake light staying on.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-09, 06:10 PM
patz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 ES 300 Parking brake light staying on.

I have an ES 300 (01), and I love this car, touch wood, so far it's been a dream.
I recently discovered, after a bout of very cold weather (range of around -15 f , for a few days ), I climbed into the car , started it, and noticed the Parking (emergency) brake light had come on. I did NOT have the brake engaged. I pressed it on/off a few times, brake def not on, or not stuck on, but the light stayed on. I checked the brake fluid, and it was at the MIN line. I figured that was normal considering the very cold weather for a few days.

I phoned the really nice, and reputable local dealer, and they said this can happen sometimes when it gets really cold. He said it's very possible for things to not function correctly in the extreme cold weather, said for me to wait a few days til the local temp comes up, and then if it is still doing it, there is a possibility it could need adjustment, or lubrication or something and bring it in.
I have driven the car, and it seem like after it warms up a bit, the light will go off, then after a minute or two, come back on, then off.
So I wonder if he is right, or should I be very concerned? I bought this car not too long ago, (6months) and again, touch wood, have had no problems (minus a noise in the trunk right rear side when I go over larger bumps, kinda klunks a little) Maybe the jack or my spare?..anyway about the parking brake light, anybody have any suggestions, or have this problem?
Thanks for any help!
Old 01-20-09, 07:19 PM
ALarsh
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Exact same thing happened to me. Add more brake fluid to get it into the middle, it will stay off then.

Happy driving!
Old 01-20-09, 07:26 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Lexus/Toyota have very sensitive sensors in the brake resevoir. Even though you may be above the MIN mark, the BRAKE light will come on. Like ALarsh stated, just add more fluid. Bring it up to just under the MAX line.

The noise you hear in the back when you go over bumps is the notorious rear sway bar bushing. This is a very common part to wear out. Its a $10 part and about a 30 minute job to replace. Get it replaced (there are two bushings) and the klunk noise will be gone.

steviej
Old 01-21-09, 04:34 AM
patz
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you!

To both of the people who replied to my original post,
THANK YOU!!!! I feel much better to know that it's something so simple.
I'm hoping that it's OK that I am able to do this ( I know NOTHING about cars!)
Should I have any concern that I need to add brake fluid? Or is this common when it get so cold?
I will certainly have the rear bushing looked at, thank you for the tip!
Old 01-21-09, 06:36 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

patz, first add fluid and see if the light goes out. If is doesn't, then start to be a little concerned and get it checked out. I sure it is just a combination of the cold and needing fluid. As you brake pads wear away, more fluid is needed to fill the space the removed pad material now allows the caliper to expand. Reserve brake fluid from the reservoir is pulled into the calipers thus lowering the level in the reservoir.

Add fluid and watch it monthly. If you find you have to constantly add fluid to keep the level at the same mark, then have you brakes checked out. If you add fluid, the light goes out and the level is stable, then you are fine.

steviej
Old 02-26-09, 06:02 PM
eslex96
Driver School Candidate

SteveJ hit on it, Its likely lo fluid level that said. Unless you have a leak the fluid that was in the reservoir is now in the calipers because the pads have wore. Start shopping for pads ... they are have wore down.

Enjoy,