ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

es330 double din replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-08, 10:43 PM
gotjohno
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default es330 double din replacement

i have an 04 lexus es330 i want to swap out the stock stereo to put in a double din. is there a kit or anything because my car didn't come with navi just the regular stereo.
Old 11-16-08, 06:13 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by gotjohno
i have an 04 lexus es330 i want to swap out the stock stereo to put in a double din. is there a kit or anything because my car didn't come with navi just the regular stereo.
Call Crutchfield
Old 11-16-08, 11:28 PM
gotjohno
Driver School Candidate

they can custom make a dash kit?
Old 11-17-08, 03:00 PM
cuz.
Driver School Candidate

eh, idk about that, but i know you can find them. Crutchfield may have some in stock also try http://www.carstereohelp.com. I didn't think I would ever find one for my 94' but i did, don't know much about newer camrys compared to new es330's but http://www.scosche.com/scosche.carau...04&model=CAMRY
Old 11-18-08, 09:07 AM
Krellos
Driver School Candidate

I have an 05 ES 330 with nav and spent the past few weeks trying to find an affordable way to replace the nav/stereo with a new double-din stereo so I can watch DVDs. This has been a painstaking process. Finding a replacement unit that will fit both the area, and with the existing wiring hasn't been easy and where I did find a place to do it, the cost for customization and parts was almost the same as the stereo (around $1,100 without nav).

By the way, for those who don't know, neither the stock CD changer or steering wheel controls will work if you replace the system. You can buy a kit to hard-wire the new stereo to the steering wheel, but it runs around $170.
Old 11-22-08, 07:22 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

I've successfully completed this task and it is NOT easy. It will take plenty of time and know how. Since the factory stereo relies on the factory amp, it outputs a very low signal into the factory amp. Aftermarket stereos usually send a very high signal. Unless you use the pre-out RCA cables. What this means is if you replace it you will have to use some type of aftermarket interface to match the output of the aftermarket unit with the factory amp. I personally have not seen any such interface for the ES330 even though one might exist. Also, more than likely you will lose usage of your factory subwoofer in the rear deck.

You will have to buy two parts to maintain somewhat of a factory look. You have to buy the dash piece that is for the navigation system so your dash can accomodate the aftermarket double din unit and you will have to buy some Toyota "ears". The dash piece runs close to $100 if I'm not mistaken. The Toyota ears are two black pieces of plastic that fit on both sides of the aftermarket unit to cover up gaps. The ears run about $12 each. Toyota dealers sell them and since the ES has the same navigation system as the Toyota cars, it can use the same ears for aftermarket units.

If you can't find an interface, you will have to do as I did and rewire your ENTIRE audio system. You will have to run wire directly to speakers or to an aftermarket amplifier. Running wire in the ES can be a female dog especially when you don't have a garage.

One thing is for sure...you (like me) will be one of the few ES's on the road with an aftermarket system let alone being self-installed if you follow through but it will probably not be easy.

Last edited by mick_foley; 11-22-08 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-23-08, 09:03 AM
o2ES300
Driver School Candidate

do a search... i believe there may be a thread about aftermarket stereo replacement for this specific model.

I also had the stock non-nav system. had to buy the nav dash from the dealer. cost is about a 100 if not a little higher. like the post above, most double dins if not all are not wide enough. the extra piece that is needed can be bought but you can also used the housing that comes in the box. cut it and clue it to the sides or just buy the housing and have a professional installer do the work.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...carpics012.jpg
Old 11-23-08, 12:34 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

Did you do the install yourself? If so, did you get an aftermarket interface so you can still use the factory speakers?
Old 11-23-08, 07:08 PM
o2ES300
Driver School Candidate

mick..

nope.. no aftermarket interface since i was adding two new amps.

before i installed the head unit, i disconnected the factory amp and sub and re-ran two rca adaptors so i could hook up two new amps to the factory deck, still using the factory speakers. the factory speakers never pop even after i took them out. replaced all speakers with the Infinity Kappa component and the kappa 6.5 triaxle. sounds amazing now. PPI 4 channel to run speakers and PPI 2 channel to run the subs.
Old 11-23-08, 07:31 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

OK....I went a similar route myself. I replaced the headunit and ran wiring to aftermarket speakers in all four doors. Comps up front were run off an amp. Rears in the back were run off the aftermarket deck power. Recently I took out the factory sub and put an aftermarket 8'' sub in its place running off the same amp as the fronts bridged on channels 3 & 4. That 8'' doesn't get too low but it's nice. I went the stealth route to keep a low profile system.

Yeah, I bet those Kappas sound good. I got some budget Phoenix Gold coaxials and comps. The sub is a JBL.
Old 11-23-08, 07:43 PM
mick_foley
Pole Position

And yeah, I forget to add that the ES's factory amp receives a special signal from the factory headunit that stops it from muting. Basically without a special interface, there is no way to get that amp to unmute. Lexus obviously doesn't like its audio systems modified....lol.