ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Repeat Ignition coil !#(*&^#%@#

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-08, 01:18 PM
mzeitlin
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Repeat Ignition coil !#(*&^#%@#

I have replaced the same ignition coil now 3 times in a row. Each one lasts about two weeks and then fail. What can be causing this ??

The spark plugs are all new (replaced after the first ignition coil failed at 70,000 miles).

I get a P302 cylinder misfire - you can feel it and smell it when it happens. I buy a new ignition coil (variable valve single coil), problem solved - and then it happens again.

Anyone else experience this?

2000 ES300

Thanks in advance
Old 06-06-08, 01:24 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Where are you getting the coil? And what brand is it?
Old 06-07-08, 05:09 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the wires may be bad
the connectors may lack electrical conductivity
the spark plugs may be gapped wrong
you may not have the recommended spark plugs
your engine bay may be abnormally hot
the coil may be horrible quality [try a toyota]
Old 06-07-08, 11:40 AM
mzeitlin
Pit Crew

I thought about the wires - but the coil itself has failed (test continuity)
They are BorgWaner coils, but the plastic housing says Toyoto Denso with the Denso part number.

spark plugs are brand new and gapped at .044 as per manual. They are the NGK Iridium plugs identical to the OEM.

If it happens again, I'll get rid of the car - no longer reliable as I thought Lexus were. I only have 70,000 miles on the car. I thought it should go over 100k easy with proper maintenance.
Old 06-07-08, 07:51 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lexus is not magical thing, i can't believe a mechanic like you just said that... perhaps it's just from frusturation? e.g. this can happen to any car, need I remind you?

your whole car is reliable, except that your replace coils are failing. why are the failing? are you SURE this most recent coil has failed?
are the wires within spec?
is the coil being subjected to excess temperatures?
are the replacement coils correct for your car?

the spark plugs you got are AWESOME. one little though about them [those specific units], if you aren't super careful, when you gap them, you can really hurt the electrodes. did you check them carefully after you gapped them - before you installed them?

nothing agianst borg warner, but that's not necessarily from toyota, or was it? or was it advance auto parts?

last, I am hopeful your connectors are in good shape, i'm thinking that a bad connection here or there may lead to stress on the coil via heat buildup via abnormally long coil field duration.

if nothing else works [if NONE of this solves it], then i would get an aftermarket 'performance' [e.g. Accel or MSD brands] coil and wire something up to it. I've had luck with that on my mazda v6. At this time, I'm not sure how compatible your ignition is to that concept, since you have 2000 M.Y. I have 1993, and a '93 is accepting of this mod, for certain.

Last edited by llcoolpass; 06-07-08 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-08-08, 01:35 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Check the wiring going to the coil. I've had issues where I have replaced 3 alternators in a month because they kept failing, But come to realive it was a wiring problem going to it. But you couldnt see it cause the wires were broke within the insulation.....
Old 06-09-08, 04:28 PM
mzeitlin
Pit Crew

I suspect you and 'coolpass' are right.

I replaced the number 2 ignition coil with a factory OEM replacement (from Toyota) to give one more shot at the fix. The part actually fits where the after-market parts required some sanding to fit. I'm told by the parts folks that the replacement part is updated (different part number).

We'll see. If it fails, then I have the warranty on it and I will take the car in for them to check out the wiring harness.
Old 06-09-08, 04:39 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

I will be Extremely surprised to see the new coil fail.
Old 06-10-08, 08:33 AM
mzeitlin
Pit Crew

I suspect you are correct - I need to find a source for 5 more apart from the dealer ...
Old 10-08-11, 05:46 PM
soozcruz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my car lost power, while driving to work on thursday, that must've been when one of the coils failed...had it towed into a garage, as i didn't know what to do..the guy called me and said one of the two coils was gone, so i was drivingon four cylinders, instead of eight...once he replaces that one coil, hope that's the end of it! reading all this stuff makes me a little nervous...great car though, have had it three years
Old 10-08-11, 06:56 PM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by soozcruz
my car lost power, while driving to work on thursday, that must've been when one of the coils failed...had it towed into a garage, as i didn't know what to do..the guy called me and said one of the two coils was gone, so i was drivingon four cylinders, instead of eight...once he replaces that one coil, hope that's the end of it! reading all this stuff makes me a little nervous...great car though, have had it three years
Eight cylinders??
Old 10-09-11, 04:07 AM
MikeLex
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Igntion coil price at www.trdparts.com/oemtoyotaparts.html : $76.18
Could anyone explain why TRD is able to sell original Toyota parts at 25% off MSRP price?
Old 10-09-11, 06:26 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by soozcruz
he's an idiot, if he thinks your 3.0L has 8 cylinders... secondly he's an idiot if he thinks there are only two coils, one of which is dead. There's one per cylinder, making 6 coil packs.

you need to take your car to someone competent.

No, reason to be nervous. Coil's by some are considered normal maintenance , if you are worried about them failing replace all 6. I won't suggest you to that though, because I know many people who have never had issues with coil packs.
Old 10-09-11, 09:02 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
he's an idiot, if he thinks your 3.0L has 8 cylinders... secondly he's an idiot if he thinks there are only two coils, one of which is dead. There's one per cylinder, making 6 coil packs.

you need to take your car to someone competent.

No, reason to be nervous. Coil's by some are considered normal maintenance , if you are worried about them failing replace all 6. I won't suggest you to that though, because I know many people who have never had issues with coil packs.
Actually the ES has 3 coil packs on the front and 3 spark plug wires for the back cylinders. Not sure if they changed that down the road, but that's how my 1998 is.
Old 10-10-11, 04:49 AM
soozcruz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, i DO have an 8 cylinder, 93 lex, ls 400, so now i'm totally confused...and i'm pretty sure he said engine coil, that i had two, one for each of four cylinders...i need to call him this morning, and ask him what..? he's not a lexus mechanic, but he's been in business, owning that garage for over 20 yrs...argh...i can't afford a screw up...HELP...why are you saying there are not 8 cylinders..?

Quick Reply: Repeat Ignition coil !#(*&^#%@#