ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

AC light Blinking and AC not working..........

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-12, 04:24 PM
mitmaks
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaxonalden
Hope I can get some good advice on this subject.

Have the same issue with the A/C light blinking, swapped the relay with one from O'Rielly, A/C stays on longer but still trips the compressor off. I can reengage the compressor by pushing the "Auto" button but it only works for about 5-10 minutes. Outside temp is 104.
You need to put on A/C manifold to check both low and high pressures. You can borrow it from autozone/oreilly, etc for free.
Old 08-21-12, 01:19 PM
andybisnut
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the blinking A/C light problem in my '03 ES 300, and I have a buddy who's a mechanic. He ordered the new relay for me, and I'm getting it tonight. I'll let you know if it resolves my issue. Hopefully that's it, and not something more complicated / expensive.
Old 08-22-12, 08:24 AM
andybisnut
Rookie

Got the new relay last night, installed it, and so far so good. My blinking A/C light problem is gone away, and the A/C is nice and chilly.
Old 08-25-12, 05:28 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

On two occasions so far I've gotten a blinking A/C light. The first time it happened (exactly a week ago) I found this thread and was about to order a new relay but I tried the A/C again and it worked. So, I left it alone and didn't replace the relay. Today, it happened again, but as soon as i turned the A/C from re-circulate to outdoor air the A/C started working again. So, does that indicate something else is wrong?
Old 08-27-12, 11:40 AM
andybisnut
Rookie

Originally Posted by hypervish
On two occasions so far I've gotten a blinking A/C light. The first time it happened (exactly a week ago) I found this thread and was about to order a new relay but I tried the A/C again and it worked. So, I left it alone and didn't replace the relay. Today, it happened again, but as soon as i turned the A/C from re-circulate to outdoor air the A/C started working again. So, does that indicate something else is wrong?
Hey hypervish,

For what it's worth, I'd say it sounds like you have the relay problem. Mine was fairly random; sometimes it wouldn't work with the re-circulate on, but would work with it off. Sometimes it would work for like 5 min and then blink. Sometimes it would start blinking almost immediately.

You can get the relay for $30 from NAPA, O'Reilly's, or Autozone -- I'd say it's worth a shot. And worst case, you're out $30.

My $.02.
Old 08-27-12, 01:12 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by andybisnut
Hey hypervish,

For what it's worth, I'd say it sounds like you have the relay problem. Mine was fairly random; sometimes it wouldn't work with the re-circulate on, but would work with it off. Sometimes it would work for like 5 min and then blink. Sometimes it would start blinking almost immediately.

You can get the relay for $30 from NAPA, O'Reilly's, or Autozone -- I'd say it's worth a shot. And worst case, you're out $30.

My $.02.
Yeah, I hope it's the relay. If it happens again, I'll go ahead and replace the relay and update this post.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 04-08-13, 06:21 AM
Solo2
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks to this old thread, I just fixed my AC. Bought it at Advance and used a 20% code from my site (www.SphinxRacing.com), came out to 12.xx+tax.

I should count myself lucky. The OEM part lasted 175,000 miles. And the new one has the factory part number stamped on the side, as others mentioned. However, it isn't sold under the BWD anymore, but is under the Intercomp brand.
Old 04-08-13, 09:51 AM
JonnysES
Driver

On the two 96es300's we've had everytime that light blinked it was either from puddles, or the clutch was soon to go out. On the first one the compressor locked up all together but I guess that was from continued use with the bad clutch causing the input shaft to wear out and lock up.
Old 04-09-13, 06:58 PM
punishawr
Driver School Candidate

Hey Guys, thanks to everyone who contributed to the answer to this problem!

I can confirm that Advance Auto Parts has the part BWD/Intermotor Relay # R6034, and it's about $16 and also has the OEM part number 90987-02028 listed in the TSB.

A/C light stopped flashing and cold air started blowing.

However I'm not experiencing the radiator fan turning on and off on about 6 second intervals, with a click preceding the fan turning on. I think the click is the A/C compressor starting up. The interval is so quick that It's hard to tell whether the air coming out of the vent stops coming out cold.

What i'm wondering is does something like this sound like I may be low on refrigerant, and is there an easy way to test the level of refrigerant.
Old 04-10-13, 10:43 AM
BrooklnLex
Rookie

I hope this will work for me. I've had my 2003 for just over 2 years and the warranty just expired in December. I turned on the AC yesterday and got the persistent flashing light with warm air. I hope the relay is the only problem and that I don't have to replace the AC compressor too.
Old 04-10-13, 04:10 PM
jami1
Rookie

MY ac stopped working today too but my AC light is NOT flashing... any idea??

I only had this car for a month... 97 Es 300.. 216000 miles... works great.. no check engine lights... or no flashing AC light.
Old 04-10-13, 05:58 PM
StuckInVA
Driver

Originally Posted by punishawr
Hey Guys, thanks to everyone who contributed to the answer to this problem!

I can confirm that Advance Auto Parts has the part BWD/Intermotor Relay # R6034, and it's about $16 and also has the OEM part number 90987-02028 listed in the TSB.

A/C light stopped flashing and cold air started blowing.

However I'm not experiencing the radiator fan turning on and off on about 6 second intervals, with a click preceding the fan turning on. I think the click is the A/C compressor starting up. The interval is so quick that It's hard to tell whether the air coming out of the vent stops coming out cold.

What i'm wondering is does something like this sound like I may be low on refrigerant, and is there an easy way to test the level of refrigerant.
Go to your local autoparts store, get one of the big cans of refrigerant . they come with gauges to check pressure. Use the gauge to check pressure, if it's ok, return it. If it's not, use the refrigerant. It's a win/win.
Old 04-10-13, 06:47 PM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

You can get a rough idea if your problem is related to low refrigerant level, by doing the following, but you'll need two people for this.

One person starts the car and lowers the temperature to Maximum Cold and lets it idle for a few minutes WITH THE A/C OFF, while the other looks carefully at the A/C compressor. When the observer is ready, turn the A/C on, If the A/C compressor engages for 1 second or so and than immediately disengages, than you're probably low on refrigerant. If the A/C compressor does not engage at all, than you're problem is elsewhere.

Keep in mind that if you're low on refrigerant, than you probably have a leak which will need to be diagnosed and repaired.

There is also a way to diagnose the A/C system on these cars, by pressing certain buttons on the Climate Control panel in a specific sequence. This will cause any A/C related trouble codes to appear on the climate control display. Unfortunately, I don't have access to that procedure right now. Maybe someone in the know can chime in with the correct procedure.

Phil

Last edited by PFB; 04-10-13 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-13-13, 03:08 PM
SmittysGX
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flossie13
autozone has the relay, ACDelco, advanced auto, ebay also carry it... I bought mine at XL auto for $18.00... DO NOT BUY FROM THE DEALER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This just started to happen on our 04 GX470. I’m definitely not going to go to the Stealership, O’Reilly’s here I come!!! Thx for the great Thead!!
Old 06-10-13, 04:30 PM
dawnrm1228
Driver School Candidate

Talking A/C Light Blinking and A/C Not Working

I've read a lot of posts about this issue and have the latest update that I am simply "giddy" about. I went to Advanced Auto Parts this afternoon. . .provided the name of the Lexus part that everyone has accurately said needs to be replaced:

Magnetic Clutch Relay
Old relay part #: 90987-02022
New relay part #: 90987-02028
(BTW, the Lexus parts cost is around ~$60, which is excellent when comparing to the repair estimates everyone was getting from auto repair shops, ranging from $200 up to $1,000))

HOWEVER, I purchased a comparable part (non Lexus) at Advanced Auto Parts with little effort whatsoever. It was called BWD Part #R6034. Then I went outside, popped my auto's lid, went to the fuse box along the right hand side, pulled out the old part, put the new one in and "voila" my A/C was working like an Arctic Blast! Amazing!!. I cancelled my appointment with Firestone for tomorrow, which was charging $35 simply to diagnose the problem. . .and then the cost of "repair" would have been additional. I love the online community; and I hope this post saves someone money, like the earlier posts did for me!!

Dawn

Quick Reply: AC light Blinking and AC not working..........