ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Bypass amplifier help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-10, 05:13 PM
dallison
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i drove around today with music that sounded like hell just running off the head unit. Are we sure that the stock amp can't be used with an aftermarket HU?
Old 03-27-10, 06:50 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dallison
i drove around today with music that sounded like hell just running off the head unit. Are we sure that the stock amp can't be used with an aftermarket HU?
I'm sure it can be but its also a lot of work. Unless you're running aftermarket speakers, the amp on your headunit should be more than enough to power your stock speakers, even at high volumes.
Old 03-30-10, 07:35 PM
dcapo
Driver

now, where is the amp location on the es 00
Old 03-30-10, 08:21 PM
RogerKlotz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dcapo
now, where is the amp location on the es 00
Behind the glove box.
Old 04-02-10, 07:17 AM
ivory98es3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pearl86
Does anyone know how to bypass a 1998 Lexus ES300 amplifier? I installed a new multimedia system. When the key is turn on ON (not ignited) the system sounds good. However, when I turn the key on the Ignition, there is a static/ high pitch noise. I was told that I need to bypass the Lexus amplifier otherwise, it will be a matter of time before I burn it.
I had the same problem iut able to fix it. Everyone says to by-pass the factory amp but doing so you will lose the functionality of the stock sub in the rear package tray. The easiest thing to do is the following and worked for me 100%.

Run your power and ground wires straight to the battery and install 2 ground loop isolators on the RCA outputs of your HU going into the install harness....

Worked for me and I didn't have any noise at all!
Old 04-03-10, 07:38 AM
adreano17
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

a way to stop the buzzing is to get 2 ground loop isolators. 1 for each 2 sets of rcas (front back). i've seen people on here say you have to bypass the amp. not at all. its difficult finding a solution. but mine is these 2 GLI and its no noise at all. and this is without the ground. so with my ground attatched, it will be even more silent
Old 04-03-10, 07:41 AM
adreano17
Advanced

Originally Posted by ivory98es3
I had the same problem iut able to fix it. Everyone says to by-pass the factory amp but doing so you will lose the functionality of the stock sub in the rear package tray. The easiest thing to do is the following and worked for me 100%.

Run your power and ground wires straight to the battery and install 2 ground loop isolators on the RCA outputs of your HU going into the install harness....

Worked for me and I didn't have any noise at all!
i didn't even see your post. i basically posted the same thing lol. but i used the factory 12v without running the wires to the battery. and it isnt a good idea to run a ground back to the battery. its susceptible to pick up noise and interference. but if its working, then dont fix it.
Old 04-03-10, 05:21 PM
ivory98es3
Driver

No worries, if more than one person comes up with the same solution, then it must be true. We just re-affirmed that adding GLI's into the install process of an aftermarket HU saves the use of the stock amp and recovers the use of the stock sub......
Old 04-07-10, 10:41 AM
dallison
Intermediate

nice, i'll have to look for the gli's it's driving me nuts.
Old 04-07-10, 10:56 AM
adreano17
Advanced

Originally Posted by dallison
nice, i'll have to look for the gli's it's driving me nuts.
make sure you have the factory integrated wiring harness. without this, the rcas on the GLI's will have no purpose nor connection point.
Old 04-10-10, 12:56 AM
argy
Driver School Candidate

you can get an amp intergration harness for the lexus.... thats what i did to mine. the only thing u need is a radio that has fronts and rears rca's which isnt that bad.. and if u have subs.. obviouslly sub rca's
Old 04-10-10, 05:11 PM
dallison
Intermediate

well, i got tired of the crappy sound from bypassing the amp.

I bought a couple gli from wally world for $15 each.

somehow i blew a fuse and couldn't get any power from the yellow memory wire. So i had to eventually tap into the memory on the clock.

Everything works very well and now i need to clean up my dirty seats from the install.

thanks all for the help
Old 04-10-10, 05:27 PM
exxonham
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey if you need the manual than i have it pm me or look on google forget which site but free download type car than manual that should work
Old 04-11-10, 03:59 AM
dallison
Intermediate

thanks, i appreciate the offer.

I checked everything in the car to make sure it was in working condition since i couldn't figure out why the memory (yellow) wouldn't work.

i must have loosened or damaged the yellow wire somehow, but who knows
Old 06-10-10, 01:46 PM
cmotek24
Driver School Candidate

Great write-up! It is quite simple.

Is the harness labeled "A" and part of the ones on "B" that I didn't but the input to the stock amplifier?

I installed a Clarion 609 unit and the internal amp sounds MUCH better than the stock amp, so I'm VERY happy! And no more static.

This was the most "stock" looking one I could find. What you guys think?

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Quick Reply: Bypass amplifier help