ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Which seal is bad on my 98 es300 (62k miles)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-08, 07:04 PM
770keith
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which seal is bad on my 98 es300 (62k miles)?

I've noticed oil (brown fluid) dripping on the right side of the car almost in line with the right front tire. An independent lexus-only mechanic said I have a bad rear seal. If the rear seal was bad, wouldn't that leak be more towards the center of the engine/car? As long as the oil level is maintained and it's not pouring onto the ground, is there any urgency to fix a seal? Thanks.
Old 05-10-08, 08:26 PM
ivory98es3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any type of fluid leak is bad....get it fixed NOW before it costs more to fix down the road. This is your transportation around town....why take a chance?
Old 05-12-08, 01:00 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Bad rear main seals are a common problem for the high mileage '97-'01 ES. It is an expensive fix which could run well over $500 from the dealer. You can opt to take your car to Toyota for cheaper fix.
Old 05-12-08, 04:37 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i bet its power steering

pic? more info? then i can be more sure
Old 05-12-08, 07:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lexusk8
You can opt to take your car to Toyota for cheaper fix.
Yes, but Toyota charged me extra for a NON toyota car. Rediculous! But maybe it's just that one Toyota dealer that's hating on me.
Old 05-13-08, 02:58 AM
smokesgtp
Driver

It could be the rear valve cover too. Even if it is the main seal there isn't any urgency to fix it right this second. Maintain the oil level and wait until it is leaking to beyond an annoying level if you want to, could be a really long time, it's not gonna harm anything, just make a mess. Make sure it's not the oil pan either it's right in that general area. Try some good high mileage oil, Maxlife Full synthetic stopped my very slight rear valve cover leak in 4k. Good stuff. I have better things to spend my 250$+ on then gaskets every 40k like these cars need.
Old 07-31-09, 02:15 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 770keith
I've noticed oil (brown fluid) dripping on the right side of the car almost in line with the right front tire. An independent lexus-only mechanic said I have a bad rear seal. If the rear seal was bad, wouldn't that leak be more towards the center of the engine/car? As long as the oil level is maintained and it's not pouring onto the ground, is there any urgency to fix a seal? Thanks.
Were you able to get your rear main seal changed and how much did it cost? I know I have to change mine as well but I've been procrastinating...
Old 07-31-09, 05:36 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

the rear main seal is the main seal between the engine and transmission...in order to access the rear main seal on the 1mz-fe V6 engine, you MUST drop the transmission, and its rated at about 8 hours of labor at the dealer i work for....in essence, expect to pay between 500-900 bucks to get it replaced...
Old 07-31-09, 09:21 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Over the past several years, my 94 ES has leaked from the valve cover gaskets, the power steering hose, and the rear main seal. I have had repairs done to the valve cover gaskets and the power steering hose. This stopped most of the drips.

The remaining dripping is from the rear main seal. An independent service shop that specializes in Lexus, Toyota, and Volvo quoted me $900.00 to make this repair. I would expect it to be several hundred dollars more at a Lexus dealer.

I just keep a close eye on the oil level. I can buy a lot of oil for $900.00.
Old 07-31-09, 10:58 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

If it's the rear main seals. If you put it up on a life and you see oil all over the oil pan, the tranny pan, and other areas. I would say, perhaps it would be the rear main seals.
Old 08-03-09, 01:46 PM
03 ES
Lexus Test Driver

theres only one rear main seal....the front main seals are the cam and crank seals, and those have a tendency to leak on high milage 1mz engines if they arent changed...most people have these 3 seals changed when the t-belt/waterpump are replaced...if these leak you will see oil around the timing cover and the passegner side of the motor...valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket both leak as well on the 1mz, but those are easy and cheap fixes for very small leaks
Old 10-17-11, 08:14 AM
VicsIS350
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by 770keith
Ok I have same issue and am kind off confused by responses....a non Lexus mechanic said it's the front seal by inspection thus replacing timing belt, water pump are good recommended fixes but I don't understand how it's the rear when oil leak is right by front right tire suggesting the front seal since engine is facing front right tire. Please people explain why you guys think it's the rear please..TIA
Old 10-17-11, 08:48 AM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would agree with your mechanic's conclusion. It's likely the seals inside the timing belt cover.

When my 94 was leaking oil on the passenger side, I could see oil coming out from around the timing belt cover.

Another possibility would be a power steering leak. This fluid should be red Dexron; however, as leaks occur and drain down the engine, the red coloration tends to get darker. This can lead one to think that the leak is oil when it is not.

The rear main seal on our car was also bad, and we had it replaced this spring. The leakage from this seal was from the middle of the engine toward the driver side.
Old 10-17-11, 09:25 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A temporary fix is to use those "leak stop" additives...
Old 10-17-11, 10:21 AM
mdbrown
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BDSL
A temporary fix is to use those "leak stop" additives...
NEVER use those unless it's an emergency situation (stuck out of town and unable to fix). Clean the engine with a good degreaser (I prefer simple green) and drive it. You'll be able to tell where it's coming from. Make sure you clean the bottom of the motor too. If it's still unclear, do it again and add dye to the oil then you should be able to trace it to the source. Give yourself about 300-500 miles and inspect it.

Quick Reply: Which seal is bad on my 98 es300 (62k miles)?