ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2nd Gen 1994 ES300 owner asking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-08, 03:23 PM
rgindallas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd Gen 1994 ES300 owner asking for advice

Hello everyone. I'm glad to have found this forum. You all have some real knowledge I can use.

I'm buying a 94 ES300 my Dad has owned since new. It's a 5th anniversary edition model with very low miles. It's been serviced regularly(for as few miles it has) and is in excellent condition. I'm lucky to be in this position, I know, and want to ask a few questions for some advice.

These are my questions/comments, and I was hoping for a little advice from you folks.

Appearance:
I plan on tinting the windows with the darkest allowed by law in rear and the 35% on sides. Having had every car since my first ride at age 16 titned, I'd feel naked without it. With this light grayish-white color, I'm leaning on a black or charcoal metallic film since the car has an external antennae so no interference issues would be casued by that type of film, but I am open to suggestions on color and type.
I'm thinking of switching the gold -"L"s-, -ES300- and -Lexus- badges to chrome. I'm thinking it would be a better match to the color and styling of the car, to me anyway.
I'm also thinking of adding a carpeted trunk mat in black, for a even more quiet and something I can take out and vacuum.

Wheels/Tires:
I plan on keeping the stock anniversary wheels as I think they look pretty good, even for 15 inchers in this new world of much bigger and cooler looking wheels. They are unique to me as a somewhat limited edition wheel of the second generation cars. Maybe a black powder coat process on them with a 1 inch bare lip would be cool...seen that done here locally for a few Vette owners and it looked slick.
Tires are still good, but I'm leaning at buying some new ones because of their age and I'd like to start off fresh and safe. Not looking for an extreme performance tire really, I've had my 'extreme' phase fulfilled with a new Vette a few years ago, which I modified like crazy and founddoing that to be rewarding and also more of a worry as when a car isn't initially designed for heavy mods, changing it too far of the stock spectrum can cause problems and issues that lessen the 'fun'. Any recommendations for a better than average performance tire that still allows that sweet Lexus ride? Not looking to get a million miles out of a set, but don't want just 25k either.

Suspension:
I'd like to lower it some. I've read about the 1-1.8 inch drops and think the 1 inch will do me just fine. I'd like to close the gap some, but don't think the slammed look, while extremely cool looking, is for me. Anyone wishing they hadn't done a 1 inch drop after doing it?
From what I've read and do believe, I don't think I'll need any other suspension mods with just a 1 inch drop. Is that the consensus from knowledgeable owners here that have done this?

Sound:
The stock sound system is pretty good for what it is, and for me, probably good enough, save for maybe a subwoofer. I've been in the car a bunch of times but Dad never has the radio on and we're usually talking and catching up on stuff. I was thinking of just adding one of those bazooka tube subs for better bass with the remote bass adjustment dial under the dash(as long as it doesn't crowd my knee room(I'm 6'2"). Seems like the bazooka sub wouldn't take up much room. Is a trunk mounted plan smart, or somewhere else inside the car the way to go?Anyone have any helpful hints or experience in doing that?

Lighting:
It seems the Silver Star bulbs are pretty well liked for both high and low beam, but has anyone replaced the yellow fog light-bulbs(I've read they are clear behind the reflector) with the Silver Star bulbs for fogs? I like the contrasting look of the yellow and white bulb look, just looking to increase the light color of all of them. To me, it makes the car look a little newer, so to speak.

Age of vehicle:
Is there anything one can think of that I should prepare for with this low mileage car at the age of 14 years? In particular any items that would just degrade over time rather than miles. I'd appreciate the heads up so I can plan and look for indications that an age related "wear out" factor may be looming.
Well, thanks in advance for any help and/or response you can give me.

BTW, the new Lexus models, and newer than this ES300 are stunners I rode in a clients new LS last year, what a piece of machinery, WOW!!

Last edited by rgindallas; 05-05-08 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-04-08, 08:02 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by rgindallas
Hello everyone. I'm buying a 94 ES300 my Dad has owned since new.
to ClubLexus and the ES forum in particular. Make sure you post up some interior and exterior pics of your new ride for us. (You might have already by the time I finish replying to this monster post.) You threw out quite a bit of stuff here, so I've attempted to distill it down to core thoughts and help where I can.

Appearance:
I plan on tinting the windows with the darkest allowed by law in rear and the 35% on sides. With this light grayish-white color, I'm leaning on a black or charcoal metallic film
You didn't specify the color exactly, but it's hard to go wrong with dark, dark tint - especially in Texas. Go dark and stay cool, plus it'll help preserve and protect that newish interior.

I'm thinking of switching the gold -"L"s-, -ES300- and -Lexus- badges to chrome.
That's one of many personal preference items there, i.e. "it's up to you." There's a real strange anti-gold package bias amongst a majority of CL members that I don't understand. But if you're part of that crowd, replace away. A lot of folks on here consider the black pearl emblems the cream-of-the-crop, and you might consider as these as well with your white or gray car. eBay seems to be a popular source for these.

I'm also thinking of adding a carpeted trunk mat in black, for a even more quiet and something I can take out and vacuum.
Can't go wrong with that.

Wheels/Tires:
I plan on keeping the stock anniversary wheels as I think they look pretty good, even for 15 inchers.
Maybe a black powder coat process on them with a 1 inch bare lip would be cool...
If they're anniversary wheels, you might reconsider covering them in paint. Staying with 15s and the stock tire size will ensure the luxurious ride and stock appearance.
It sounds like you're not concerned with making this ES a show car, so the "retro" look isn't going to cost you any points.

Tires are still good, but I'm leaning at buying some new ones because of their age. Any recommendations for a better than average performance tire that still allows that sweet Lexus ride?
Use the search tool for this one. There've been no less than 3 threads about tires in the last six months. In one of them I posted data from Consumer Reports and others posted their opinions and experiences with the tires they use. Good info.

Suspension:
I'd like to lower it some. I've read about the 1-1.8 inch drops and think the 1 inch will do me just fine. I'd like to close the gap some, but don't think the slammed look, while extremely cool looking, is for me. Anyone wishing they hadn't done a 1 inch drop after doing it?

From what I've read and do believe, I don't think I'll need any other suspension mods with just a 1 inch drop. Is that the consensus from knowledgeable owners here that have done this?
Quoting a few ES veteran gurus and based on personal experience, if you're going an inch or less, don't bother. You won't be able to tell any real difference in the appearance. You'll be sacrificing some ride quality without any discernable improvement in aesthetics or performance. And you'll likely end up going back to stock to improve the ride, or going with a more aggressive drop that actually makes a difference, appearance-wise.
Anything between 1.3 and 1.5 inches is going to be optimal. Drops up to 1.5" won't require a camber kit either. You've got a 2nd gen ES, so check out the available manufacturers and vendors in the 2nd Gen ES Suspension sticky.

Sound: I was thinking of just adding one of those bazooka tube subs for better bass with the remote bass adjustment dial under the dash(as long as it doesn't crowd my knee room(I'm 6'2"). Seems like the bazooka sub wouldn't take up much room. Is a trunk mounted plan smart, or somewhere else inside the car the way to go?Anyone have any helpful hints or experience in doing that?
The fun part is going to be adding that tube while keeping the stock HeadUnit (HU) and amp. You're looking at installing a line-level converter so you can run a signal back to the sub.

Lighting:
It seems the Silver Star bulbs are pretty well liked for both high and low beam, but has anyone replaced the yellow fog light-bulbs(I've read they are clear behind the reflector) with the Silver Star bulbs for fogs? I like the contrasting look of the yellow and white bulb look, just looking to increase the light color of all of them. To me, it makes the car look a little newer, so to speak.
I've only replaced the headlamps with SilverStars; not the fogs. But I doubt there's an "Oh my God!" kinda difference. But they're not that expensive, so try it out and show some pics with the results.

Age of vehicle:
Is there anything one can think of that I should prepare for with this low mileage car at the age of 14 years? In particular any items that would just degrade over time rather than miles. I'd appreciate the heads up so I can plan and look for indications that an age related "wear out" factor may be looming.
On one hand, the services have been performed, so that's good. On the other hand, low mileage doesn't keep Father Time from degrading the fluids and rubber on the car. Start inspecting and replacing as needed, moving from system to system: Exhaust, braking, steering, suspension, and so on.
Old 05-04-08, 11:02 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to CL !!

Slooooooow has given you lots of good advice (in addition to the complimentary CL welcome mat ) but I have a few comments in some areas:

I plan on tinting the windows with the darkest allowed by law in rear and the 35% on sides. Having had every car since my first ride at age 16 titned, I'd feel naked without it. With this light grayish-white color, I'm leaning on a black or charcoal metallic film since the car has an external antennae so no interference issues would be casued by that type of film, but I am open to suggestions on color and type.
I feel naked too in a car with no tints. Always adds a lot to the appearance as well as pretecting the interior against UV fading. I went with 5% on the rear side and back windows and 50% on the front side windows. Here we're not supposed to have any on the front side windows, but I figured I could get away with 50% and haven't been stopped yet (2 years now).

I'm thinking of switching the gold -"L"s-, -ES300- and -Lexus- badges to chrome. I'm thinking it would be a better match to the color and styling of the car, to me anyway.
I'd have to agree with you. Plus, the "gold" emblems just don't wear all that well over time. Once they are shot they tend to look pretty tacky and the only option then is to live with it or replace them. The chrome looks very nice on all colors, but another nice option is the black pearl as Slooooooow mentioned.

I know Sylvania-Osram (the makers of the Silverstar brand) make a replacement H3 foglight bulb but I don't think they are classed as "Silverstar", so not sure how much difference you would see from the OEM version. But I do agree that the contrast between the yellow fogs and the headlights looks cool. I changed my Silverstar Ultra lowbeam headlights to 4300K Xenon HID bulbs. The contrast in color between my yellow fogs and the white (with a slight tinge of blue) of the HID headlights is really awesome!

Belts, hoses and fluids would be the three at the top of my list.

BTW, the new Lexus models, and newer than this ES300 are stunners I rode in a clients new LS last year, what a piece of machinery, WOW!!
I agree. I had the chance to sit in a 2008 LS600hL recently. The dash and center console were lit up like the instrument panel in a commercial jet-liner! Pretty amazing! But as far as the ES300 is concerned, I am still partial to the exterior styling of the 2nd and 3rd generations. The 5th gen is definitely nice though with its "L-Finesse" influence.

Let's see some pics of your new ride!

Last edited by Lexucan; 05-04-08 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-04-08, 12:19 PM
Avidstarr
Rookie

In case you're looking into a set of springs im selling my H&R Sport Springs. So far based on what i've seen on this forum, they settle nicely.

Slooooooow show him a pic of your car!!! haha

Here is the link - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=353051
Old 05-04-08, 04:38 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude my es is better than the same gen ls, but the later ls's are good-looking
the is300 'altezaa' of old [now] was hot. everything else pretty sucky
Old 05-04-08, 11:48 PM
rgindallas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
to ClubLexus and the ES forum in particular. Make sure you post up some interior and exterior pics of your new ride for us. (You might have already by the time I finish replying to this monster post.) You threw out quite a bit of stuff here, so I've attempted to distill it down to core thoughts and help where I can.

You didn't specify the color exactly, but it's hard to go wrong with dark, dark tint - especially in Texas. Go dark and stay cool, plus it'll help preserve and protect that newish interior.

That's one of many personal preference items there, i.e. "it's up to you." There's a real strange anti-gold package bias amongst a majority of CL members that I don't understand. But if you're part of that crowd, replace away. A lot of folks on here consider the black pearl emblems the cream-of-the-crop, and you might consider as these as well with your white or gray car. eBay seems to be a popular source for these.

Can't go wrong with that.

If they're anniversary wheels, you might reconsider covering them in paint. Staying with 15s and the stock tire size will ensure the luxurious ride and stock appearance.
It sounds like you're not concerned with making this ES a show car, so the "retro" look isn't going to cost you any points.

Use the search tool for this one. There've been no less than 3 threads about tires in the last six months. In one of them I posted data from Consumer Reports and others posted their opinions and experiences with the tires they use. Good info.

Quoting a few ES veteran gurus and based on personal experience, if you're going an inch or less, don't bother. You won't be able to tell any real difference in the appearance. You'll be sacrificing some ride quality without any discernable improvement in aesthetics or performance. And you'll likely end up going back to stock to improve the ride, or going with a more aggressive drop that actually makes a difference, appearance-wise.
Anything between 1.3 and 1.5 inches is going to be optimal. Drops up to 1.5" won't require a camber kit either. You've got a 2nd gen ES, so check out the available manufacturers and vendors in the 2nd Gen ES Suspension sticky.

The fun part is going to be adding that tube while keeping the stock HeadUnit (HU) and amp. You're looking at installing a line-level converter so you can run a signal back to the sub.

I've only replaced the headlamps with SilverStars; not the fogs. But I doubt there's an "Oh my God!" kinda difference. But they're not that expensive, so try it out and show some pics with the results.

On one hand, the services have been performed, so that's good. On the other hand, low mileage doesn't keep Father Time from degrading the fluids and rubber on the car. Start inspecting and replacing as needed, moving from system to system: Exhaust, braking, steering, suspension, and so on.
Thanks for taking the time for the lengthy reply Slooooooow. I think I have enough "o"s in there. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, check.

No pics yet, though you are right on the lengthy post, I could have had reg pics developed and back from the kodak shop by now.

The color is: Diamond White Pearl Tri-coat with Silver Metallic Clearcoat (Cladding). Leather is tan with only the most minor wrinkles and no rips or tears. It's been in the garage more than out in it's 14 years and will be back in a garage with me only to sit outside at work.

Tint: I agree on the darkest tint. That's the route I will go.

Emblems: I will checkout the the black pearl emblems off ebay. That might be pretty cool looking with the dark tint. To me, and not to take a shot a gold fans, it just doesn't match anything on the car to my eye. So chrome or that black pearl are my options.

Wheels: The reason I like them is because they are "full" looking even if the size is small. If I did replace them, I like the look of a black 8 or so spoke wheel with a polished lip in 16 or 17 inch.

Tires: I will search those posts out for direction.

Suspension: I hear ya' on the 1 inch drop not being much. And if I'm going to sacrifice some straight line ride quality, I'd probably want to pick up some points on looks. I did read through the suspension posts and vendors so I am up to speed on who and what, but I appreicate the heads up on ride/comfort/looks issues. Since I wasn't going to increase wheel size, at least at this point, I thought a small drop would shorten the body/tire gap a little. Maybe a 1.3 inch drop would be better based on those desires without, at this point, wanting to do shocks, struts, camber kit upgrades.

Stereo: I wouldn't think adding a line level converter would be too hard at the time the sub is installed, but thanks for the tip. I'll search that out. I like the stock look of the factory setup as it matches the cars interior.

Lighting: I'll just go with the SS's in the headlights, high and low for sure. I just wanted the output on the fogs to sort of match. I think Sylvania makes a fog bulb that is somewhat brighter, I'll see what they offer locally and just as soon get it all done at once.

Fluids and rubber: Will check all of those. Thanks for that tip.

Thanks again for the welcome and the tips. It's exactly what I was looking for.

Take care,

RG

Last edited by rgindallas; 05-05-08 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-04-08, 11:54 PM
rgindallas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Avidstarr
In case you're looking into a set of springs im selling my H&R Sport Springs. So far based on what i've seen on this forum, they settle nicely.

Slooooooow show him a pic of your car!!! haha

Here is the link - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=353051
Thank you, Avidstarr, I'll check out your link.

RG
Old 05-04-08, 11:55 PM
rgindallas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
dude my es is better than the same gen ls, but the later ls's are good-looking
the is300 'altezaa' of old [now] was hot. everything else pretty sucky
Thak you, too, llcoolpass...I know they didn't make a 5 speed in my year, but it would be fun!!!

RG
Old 05-05-08, 12:16 AM
rgindallas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexucan
Welcome to CL !!

Slooooooow has given you lots of good advice (in addition to the complimentary CL welcome mat ) but I have a few comments in some areas:

I feel naked too in a car with no tints. Always adds a lot to the appearance as well as pretecting the interior against UV fading. I went with 5% on the rear side and back windows and 50% on the front side windows. Here we're not supposed to have any on the front side windows, but I figured I could get away with 50% and haven't been stopped yet (2 years now).

I'd have to agree with you. Plus, the "gold" emblems just don't wear all that well over time. Once they are shot they tend to look pretty tacky and the only option then is to live with it or replace them. The chrome looks very nice on all colors, but another nice option is the black pearl as Slooooooow mentioned.

I know Sylvania-Osram (the makers of the Silverstar brand) make a replacement H3 foglight bulb but I don't think they are classed as "Silverstar", so not sure how much difference you would see from the OEM version. But I do agree that the contrast between the yellow fogs and the headlights looks cool. I changed my Silverstar Ultra lowbeam headlights to 4300K Xenon HID bulbs. The contrast in color between my yellow fogs and the white (with a slight tinge of blue) of the HID headlights is really awesome!

Belts, hoses and fluids would be the three at the top of my list.

I agree. I had the chance to sit in a 2008 LS600hL recently. The dash and center console were lit up like the instrument panel in a commercial jet-liner! Pretty amazing! But as far as the ES300 is concerned, I am still partial to the exterior styling of the 2nd and 3rd generations. The 5th gen is definitely nice though with its "L-Finesse" influence.

Let's see some pics of your new ride!
Thanks, Lexucan.

I would do the same as you if they didn't allow tint on the sides here. And it's so damn hot here in the summer that we need the relief option that tint offers. I've got nothing to hide, but I am so used to tint, I can't imagaine not having any on the sides.

The emblems are perfect at this point, but I hear ya' on the options.

I'll probably replace the fog bulbs at the same time to try and keep it all the same as far as time on the bulbs and looks are concerned. The contrast of the yellow fog/white headlight reminds me of BMW's I used to see as a kid. I thought that look was so cool.

HID's do rock.

I checked out your link on the backlighting of the dash guage area. Way cool my freind, way cool. Really makes a difference. When it's time to do that(they are very good and even right now) I will re-read it and try and replicate that look.

Belts, hoses and fluids. Check.

I agree on the new rides being top notch and amazing looking.

I'll get some pics up with before and after as soon as I complete those changes.

Thanks again for your reply.

Have a good day.

RG

Last edited by rgindallas; 05-05-08 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-05-08, 09:07 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome...It looks like you've meet the founding fathers of this website...Slooooow, llcoopass, lexucan....oops did I say founding father? I meant to say no life and always on CL like myself. hahaha just kidding guys.

honestly these guys are the best bunch of folks I've ever had the pleasure chatting with on the forums. They certainly bring a lot to the table when it comes to their rides.

I tried the hook on phonics reading style for your post along with the replies and so far its a doozy...from what I gather or what is of interest to me was the first the charcoal emblem. I agree that many love-em, however on pearl white I think it would like sort of funky...I'd go with the chrome/silver but that's just my opin...

The other point of interest for me was the lowering option...I agree with Slooooooow on the drop...and the many folks on here do like the H&R coils so it's definitely a good choice if you decide to go with them.

You got great advice on everything else so no comment.

Definitely post some pics....we love looking at these beauties and cry when we hear of one that passes on.
Old 05-05-08, 09:49 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kinda late but WELCOME TO CL. Kinda feeling lazy today but I think Slooooooow more than answered your questions. Don't be afraid to search I even find myself using it all the time. Don't worry I'll over answer your future questions trust me lol.
Old 05-05-08, 06:49 PM
rtk7
Pole Position

welcome to CL
these guys are great on here with info helped me alot
dont get silverstars get a hid kit it looks so good and you see 10x better at night
Old 05-05-08, 10:56 PM
rgindallas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kphu
Welcome...It looks like you've meet the founding fathers of this website...Slooooow, llcoopass, lexucan....oops did I say founding father? I meant to say no life and always on CL like myself. hahaha just kidding guys.

honestly these guys are the best bunch of folks I've ever had the pleasure chatting with on the forums. They certainly bring a lot to the table when it comes to their rides.

I tried the hook on phonics reading style for your post along with the replies and so far its a doozy...from what I gather or what is of interest to me was the first the charcoal emblem. I agree that many love-em, however on pearl white I think it would like sort of funky...I'd go with the chrome/silver but that's just my opin...

The other point of interest for me was the lowering option...I agree with Slooooooow on the drop...and the many folks on here do like the H&R coils so it's definitely a good choice if you decide to go with them.

You got great advice on everything else so no comment.

Definitely post some pics....we love looking at these beauties and cry when we hear of one that passes on.
kphu,

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

Yes, the welcome by your "founding fathers" is just what I was looking for. As for having a life, if we all do what we like, then we are all good. I've 'lived' on a few forums in my day.

The emblems: I was thinking chrome at first, but, will check out the 'colored' approach. Maybe just a colored-paper mock up to see if such a strong color contrast would look good to my eye before buying. Maybe the colored accent would look cool, or maybe not. I'm real particular about the overall look of any car I've modded and like to check out options. Thanks for the opinion. That's what I'd hope to get here.

The suspension: I have been reading up on springs in the sticky that is posted. Good info in there.

Take care,

RG
Old 05-05-08, 10:58 PM
rgindallas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Choas
Kinda late but WELCOME TO CL. Kinda feeling lazy today but I think Slooooooow more than answered your questions. Don't be afraid to search I even find myself using it all the time. Don't worry I'll over answer your future questions trust me lol.

Choas,

Over answer away, at your leisure. I look forward to it.

Thanks for chiming in!!

RG

Last edited by rgindallas; 05-05-08 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-05-08, 11:02 PM
rgindallas
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rtk7
welcome to CL
these guys are great on here with info helped me alot
dont get silverstars get a hid kit it looks so good and you see 10x better at night
rtk7,

I hear ya'. I'm sure the hid kits are better overall.I just have to take it one step at a time. Maybe just bulbs will fulfill the need for me, maybe not. I'm trying to keep a 'low' modding budget on this car, but I've said that before.

Thanks for the input on my future output.

RG

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen 1994 ES300 owner asking for advice