ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

How to remove old hood struts from ES300

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-08, 12:20 PM
tj7447
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile How to remove old hood struts from ES300

I am trying to remove the old struts from the hood of a 94 ES300, one form says it has a pin on the part attached to the hood and to remove the pin, but I don't see a pin. Does it just pop off with a screwdriver? Help
Old 03-04-08, 02:52 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There sould be like a metal band going across the end of the strut horizontally. Get a small screw driver and get it behind that band and pull it out, Then pull the strut off the hood.

That is how most of them are, it should be the same, maybe a little different on your car
Old 03-04-08, 07:59 PM
CUMan
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They don't pop off like most hood struts. The ball joints are held to the strut itself by a clip inside the body of the strut. It is very difficult to separate the parts so you can reuse the ball joint.

The OEM hood struts come with new ball joints. To replace the strut, you unscrew both ends from the car body and screw the new ones in place.

Some of the struts sold on E-bay come with the ball joints. The ones I purchased for my 94 ES have the clips mentioned in the above post. This enables you to change out the struts thereafter by popping off the old strut and pushing the new one into place.
Old 03-05-08, 10:46 AM
tj7447
Driver School Candidate

Default Hood struts

Thanks for the help, There is not any clips on the oem struts. You have to unscrew the ***** on the hood and it will come off with the strut. I guess you could the grind part of it and get the ball off and reuse it. but mine came with new ***** so I used them. Thanks again.
Old 11-29-14, 12:13 PM
Shazbot4
Driver School Candidate

Default how to remove the hood lift supports and re-use the ball joint

to get the strut off, work the bolt on the hood side back and fourth till the blue lock tight gives out then unscrew normally. makes sure you have the wrench on there perfectly every time or you will strip the bolt head cause it's real good lock-tight.

once the strut is removed from the car put it in a vice so it's secure with the ball joint end facing up. doesnt matter where just make sure it's locked down good. doesn't need to be a big vice. get a small pair of vice grips and lock them onto the neck of the ball joint. so it's firmly gripped the smallest part between the ball and the washer not on the threads. then with a good amount of leverage push down on the vice grips and eventually the ball joint will pop out of the socket undamaged and the threads intact for re use. it's pressed in there good so really push hard. you dont need to remove the pin inside the ball joint(not that you could anyway)

wish they built the whole car this way, nothing would ever break. talk about over kill
Old 01-14-16, 06:22 PM
KSES300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Shazbot4
to get the strut off, work the bolt on the hood side back and fourth till the blue lock tight gives out then unscrew normally. makes sure you have the wrench on there perfectly every time or you will strip the bolt head cause it's real good lock-tight.

once the strut is removed from the car put it in a vice so it's secure with the ball joint end facing up. doesnt matter where just make sure it's locked down good. doesn't need to be a big vice. get a small pair of vice grips and lock them onto the neck of the ball joint. so it's firmly gripped the smallest part between the ball and the washer not on the threads. then with a good amount of leverage push down on the vice grips and eventually the ball joint will pop out of the socket undamaged and the threads intact for re use. it's pressed in there good so really push hard. you dont need to remove the pin inside the ball joint(not that you could anyway)

wish they built the whole car this way, nothing would ever break. talk about over kill
I bought the 3rd party version of these struts. I know I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, but I attempted this removal method and the pressure I applied must have been in the wrong place because the ball joint in the bracket that I was attempting to preserve broke off. I ended up drilling out the bracket and filing down it's surface to accommodate the new pin and strut.