ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

help with the cooling system ES300 1996

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-08, 08:18 PM
GiantsInFL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with the cooling system ES300 1996

Hey guys my name is Hugo and I just bought a 1996 ES300 and all I want is to drive this car home, the very first day I bought it, the car overheated. I am having some coolant problems with it and was wondering if anyone has had similar problems and if so what could it be. It seems to happen everyime Im on the highway heading home from the shop after it was just "fixed". I have had the hydraulic hose for the fan replaced, the thermostat, and the cap replaced and it is still doing it. It starts out running fine, than while I'm driving on the highway almost home the car gets hot and starts to over heat. Now I took it to my familys mechanic (the place I bought it from was trying to fix it). My guess is the radiator, or waterpump.

The car rides smooth, the engine is good, the transmission is good, the brakes, everything except the fog lights work electronically. I just have the problem with this coolant and its driving me crazy. Are there any suggestions, ideas??
Old 02-21-08, 09:38 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Hugo,

Welcome to Club Lexus.
So, I guess this sort of thing was not what you expected to happen right after buying your ES300. Kinda sucks. Given that what you say has already been replaced (hose, thermostat, rad cap) didn't resolve the overheating problem, I'd be looking at a possibly clogged core in your radiator, or a leaking water pump. Have you removed the radiator cap and looked inside to see if the core is clean? Are there drops of coolant under the car anywhere that would indicate a leak in your water pump, your radiator, or a hose? Has your mechanic done a pressure test on the cooling system? Check the other pressure cap as well (not the rad cap) to make sure it isn't the cause of the problem. If you see "gunk" inside your rad, you might need to have it flushed out, or if the core is too blocked, it might mean you'll need to get a new radiator.
I know this is more questions than answers, but these are some things that might lead you to the exact cause of the problem.
Good luck, and keep us updated.
Old 02-22-08, 09:35 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

overhaeting on the highway only is a sign of engine load based-- since youre going faster you have better cooling and the one thing that comes to my mind that this leaves you with is something about the load is causing the over heating. and im sorry to say, this could be a bad head gasket [one or both]. i have a good understanding of cars so that's what I come up with. look for bubbles foaming up at the filler hole as your car warms up idling from a complete cold engine. examine oil condition, does it look like chocalate milk? if so the coolant and oil are mixing. head gasket means: air from cylinders gets into cooling system and/or the oil gets into the coolant and/or the coolant gets into the oil .... pretty important to get this possibility tested.

the gas leaking into the cooling system, due to bad head gasket, when the cap is on and youre driving on the highway would cause overheating
is my point.

Last edited by llcoolpass; 02-22-08 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-22-08, 03:08 PM
GiantsInFL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my familys mechanic looked at it and found out

that the car had a blown head gasket. So now the dealership will fix it, Im just paying for the part. I just hope this will be the last serious problem I have. Minor stuff I can take, not being able to drive my car home is just ridiculous. But the car drives so smooth and the transmission is in great condition as well. If this takes care of the problem (everyone seems to think it will) than I cant wait to fix the car up. The exterior is in excellent condition, the interior is where it needs the most work (most work besides getting the car to run properly of course). Oh well, this situation has been beyond frustrating and hopefully by this time next week ill be driving the car around. Heres hoping. Thanks guys. I hope to be a member of this board for sometime.

This car is just suppose to last me 2 years (if I can get it running fine) but if all goes to plan I plan to keep it as an extra car. After 2 years my wife and I are getting and should be settled in a new home we plan on purchasing than I will finance a newer (I cant afford brand new) Lexus. Those are the plans anyway.