ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

!998 ES300 Headlight Housing

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-07, 12:41 PM
jwrighteh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !998 ES300 Headlight Housing

I have moisture in my passenger side headlight housing. I am attempting to replace it, but I can't figure out how to uninstall the current housing. I can only find one screw attaching it. It is at the top right on a flange extending from the plastic housing to the metal engine compartment frame. A Chilton's for Toyota indicates that I should unfasten and swing out the turn signal housing. I unfastened the only screw I found on the turn signal housing, but it didn't swing anywhere.

I tried to use a free, downloadable 1997 repair manual for this but it does not address this topic.

Does anybody know how to get the housing out?
Old 12-22-07, 01:15 PM
JSM1284
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Try down near the bumper close to the grille, and behind the bumper where it meets the fender.
Old 12-22-07, 01:59 PM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jwrighteh
I have moisture in my passenger side headlight housing. I am attempting to replace it, but I can't figure out how to uninstall the current housing. I can only find one screw attaching it. It is at the top right on a flange extending from the plastic housing to the metal engine compartment frame. A Chilton's for Toyota indicates that I should unfasten and swing out the turn signal housing. I unfastened the only screw I found on the turn signal housing, but it didn't swing anywhere.

I tried to use a free, downloadable 1997 repair manual for this but it does not address this topic.

Does anybody know how to get the housing out?
You're almost there. - You need to remove the turn signal from the car first. Undo the one screw holding the turn signal housing, then gently pull the turn signal housing STRAIGHT forwards towards the front of the car. It should then pop/slide out.

Once the turn signal has been removed you will see that the headlight is also fixed in place by two side bolts/nuts that attach to the body of the car.(these are not visible unless you remove the turn signal indicator first) Undo the nuts as well as the two on top and you should be able to remove the headlight housing. (Don't forget to unplug the headlight wiring harness BEFORE you start trying to pull the headlight housing out too.) Even with all the nuts removed sometimes it takes a bit of careful wiggling for the headlight to be removed. Make sure you have removed all the nuts before trying to pull the headlight housing off!

Hope this helps.

LEX ES300
Old 12-22-07, 02:05 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, that bolt thing should be a screw. that is the only removable screw to hold on the turn signal. but the turn signal itself has a built in type of attachment to the bottom of the headlight. kinda complicated sounding, but rather simple. if you grab the very edge of the turn signal light(closest to doors) and kinda push outward(towards the front of the vehicle) it should be able to pop out of the built in joint. you will have to give it a good nudge. and if you break the joint thing(probably will) dont worry, you still have that screw on top to hold to your headlights.

once the signal light is removed, you should see the rest.

goodluck
Charley

edit: OMFG charley240 FTL!! lol
Old 12-22-07, 02:58 PM
jwrighteh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies folks.