ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES Annoyances 2nd Gen

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-07, 06:29 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ES Annoyances 2nd Gen

I have a 95 es 300 and these are some problems I have (onces not mentioned before...i.e burnt out needles)
Hopefully, we can find some inexpensive ways to DIY fix these and post in the sticky thread

Air Bag Cover Popped out.

Dunno if anyone else has this problem...i think it would be a safety issue.. (And i think u are supposed to have the air bags checked after 10 years) but maybe one of the clips broke. Double sided tape didn't work.

Driver's Side Sun Visor Does not Lock in the Up position.

Both Driver's and Passenger Bucket Seat foam is bulging out the side...
(Mainly an annoyance)

Front windows not aligned, The glass broke through the rubber seal...by A LOT. Wind noise from the area 60 mph +

The top of the car under the window frame is cracked.

Finally, The trim on the rear doors sticks out and theres a huge body
gap

So.. Post any annoying things gone wrong and some Fixes.
Old 10-27-07, 06:59 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

When I wash my car i spray some leather cleaner on the window seals and give the windows a slight tug. No wind noise as of yet. I dont have a passenger airbag as those came out in 94. One thing i did notice was when the drivers door is closed the mirror rattles a little bit im not gonna worry about it. Ive got to change the passenger door light as it just burnt out other than that no real annoyances with my ES300.
Old 10-27-07, 10:30 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hahaz sucker...I don't even have a passenger side airbag on my 93!
Old 10-27-07, 11:06 PM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

Hahaha, Pwnd, so far i have none of those problems.

Although there is a nice 7 inch crack in my drivers seat leather, need to go dee-bo a seat from a junkyard...
Old 10-27-07, 11:38 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BadViper22
Hahaha, Pwnd, so far i have none of those problems.

Although there is a nice 7 inch crack in my drivers seat leather, need to go dee-bo a seat from a junkyard...
HEHEH I already took care of that
Pics will explain...

Drivers seat Before. (Diagonal rip in middle insert and seams came apart at side bolster)

After. (Yeah its not perfect...but hey, it only costs 20 bucks)

Too bad it doesn't look like that after a couple years of driving Gonna re-dye it soon.
Old 10-28-07, 05:13 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what a laundry list of annoyances. I'm glad my 3rd gen just needs a new cup holder and B pillars. About your air bag yes I agree unfortunately the only way to fix it is to get it serviced. About your sun visor thats a very common problem in cars of any make. I have a theory that if you have a mirror there and its like that It's most likely a woman owned your car and broke it putting makeup on too many times in the car. This is an easy fix 2-4 screws I believe and it may be a camry part. Just remove your old one go to the boneyard and see if its the same. With your seats all you could do is get some brand new seats. I believe my seats on my 97 are the same its no big deal. Now when it comes to your windows your in for lots of fun to fix this so it doesn't happen again. What I think you have to do is take the door apart and realign the window then replace the broken seal. This should take care of your wind noise. With the cracked paint I think you already know this one. You gotta re-sand and repaint the top of the car. With your door gap you need to replace the pins and hinges. Eventually the door will scrape the paint in the door jam and it will rust (one of my rear doors is like this). If it gets bad enough your door won't open and close right either. Lots O fun with this stuff hopefully in the spring when I fix and repaint my es I might fix the door on mine and I'll let you know what it will cost.
Old 10-28-07, 07:46 AM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tuan92129
HEHEH I already took care of that
Pics will explain...

Drivers seat Before. (Diagonal rip in middle insert and seams came apart at side bolster)

After. (Yeah its not perfect...but hey, it only costs 20 bucks)

Too bad it doesn't look like that after a couple years of driving Gonna re-dye it soon.

If the second seat is the same one as the first, I must say you did one helluva great clean up job on that!
What product did you use?
Old 10-28-07, 11:37 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

If the second seat is the same one as the first, I must say you did one helluva great clean up job on that!
What product did you use?
I didn't actually clean it, but the neglected seats had cracks and tears..and the leather color coat was all faded, so i went ahead and redyed them.
I used 'dye' (its actually kind of like paint) from Leather Renew.

So what a laundry list of annoyances. I'm glad my 3rd gen just needs a new cup holder and B pillars. About your air bag yes I agree unfortunately the only way to fix it is to get it serviced. About your sun visor thats a very common problem in cars of any make. I have a theory that if you have a mirror there and its like that It's most likely a woman owned your car and broke it putting makeup on too many times in the car. This is an easy fix 2-4 screws I believe and it may be a camry part. Just remove your old one go to the boneyard and see if its the same. With your seats all you could do is get some brand new seats. I believe my seats on my 97 are the same its no big deal. Now when it comes to your windows your in for lots of fun to fix this so it doesn't happen again. What I think you have to do is take the door apart and realign the window then replace the broken seal. This should take care of your wind noise. With the cracked paint I think you already know this one. You gotta re-sand and repaint the top of the car. With your door gap you need to replace the pins and hinges. Eventually the door will scrape the paint in the door jam and it will rust (one of my rear doors is like this). If it gets bad enough your door won't open and close right either. Lots O fun with this stuff hopefully in the spring when I fix and repaint my es I might fix the door on mine and I'll let you know what it will cost.
yeah...my mom bought the car new and used the mirrors for like 10 years
Old 10-28-07, 12:58 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Seat Repairs

As you said, your seat repair doesn't look perfect, but hey, it sure looks a lot better than covering them up with cheap looking seat covers! Good work!
I had a split seam between two of the leather panels on my driver's seat when I bought the car, so I took the car to a local automotive upholstery shop and they removed the seat, removed the seat cover, resewed the seam that had come apart, fitted the seat cover back on, and reinstalled the seat for $60 bucks. Took a couple of hours and looks perfect again. I thought that was an awesome deal. So, when I eventually get a tear in the leather (there is a fairly large crack now in one of the panels) I'll be taking it back to the same folks to have a new panel sewn in. The seats are black so matching the color is not a big problem.
Old 10-28-07, 08:48 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Tuan can you link me to the seat re dye kit you used?

I need to fix my passenger seat crack
Old 10-28-07, 09:01 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maniax
Tuan can you link me to the seat re dye kit you used?

I need to fix my passenger seat crack
I think this is it

http://www.leatherrenew.com/
Old 10-28-07, 09:23 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

The tan color for 95-96 (non coach edition) is "Ivory 2"
for the 92-94 tan..seems to be more of the "Ivory 3" color.
If the rest of the seat isn't in good condition, you should probably re-dye (paint) the entire bottom seat to it matches.
If the leather is still in good condition without many cracks (back seat), then just leave it alone b/c factory finish will last longer.
Old 10-28-07, 09:52 PM
licensed
Driver School Candidate

i have the seat foam bulging problem, the window and wind noise problem, and the door trim problem on my 96. as long as i'm going i'll mention burnt out lights and needles for the gauges, fast right blinker, cupholder wont pop out. also the driver side plastic seat belt cover thing fell off. whatever.
Old 10-29-07, 10:02 PM
es300_2524
Driver School Candidate

great thread, i got the same exact seat and visor problem.
Old 10-30-07, 12:36 AM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

cupholder wont pop out.
Go look into the DIY Thread Sticky! I had the same problem...just a 1/2 hour DIY free fix = perfectly working cup holders

Quick Reply: ES Annoyances 2nd Gen