ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Fwd & Lts

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-02, 02:38 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fwd & Lts

LTS: Low Traction Surface

If your dad is anything close to my age you will probably want to take him out quickly and teach him about the uniqueness of FWD handling in certain circumstances. FWD can be extremely hazardous on LTS (low traction surfaces), especially for someone who has primarily driven RWD for all or most of their lives.

Ever since FWD became so popular the industry has been trying to solve its LTS handling problem. When you encounter a LTS in a REAR WHEEL DRIVE, RWD, even with an automatic transmission (as most are these days) instinctively lifting your foot from the throttle will not have a detrimental affect, in most cases it will even be helpful. But that's only a small part of the equation, if your dad has never driven a FWD on LTS his reaction will be the same as he would for a RWD, and in many FWD vehicles that can be extremely dangerous.

The Cadillac engineers had this problem in SPADES with their high torque V8 northstar engine, lift the throttle on a LTS and instantly do a 180, or worse. Their near term solution was to put an over-running clutch between the engine and the driveline, so that the "deceleration" torque of that engine didn't BRAKE the front wheels on throttle lift.

You may have alreay noticed that their, Cadillac's, new long range plain is to rid themselves of FWD vehicles altogether.

Even my 2001 AWD RX300 will automatically shift the transmission into the highest gear on throttle lift (unless cruise control is active, and NO ONE should have cruise control active if LTS is even suspected, EVER!) to prevent or minimize engine braking and the resulting potential for loss of control in this predominantly FWD (even with the AWD {VC} fully activated)vehicle.

I have heard arguments recently that back in the early eighties the increasing popularity of FWD was the initiating factor for more thoroughly exploring/expanding the use of ABS. Until the advent of FWD, mechanical brake pressure proportioning valves were the common solution for allocating brake HP front vs rear. With FWD, engine braking on the front became a VARIABLE to be reckoned with. Because of the driving and handling dynamics of RWD, this engine braking variable didn't have to be reckoned with, as a matter of fact it was considered an ASSET, especially on LTS.

Be carefull out there....
Old 01-06-02, 03:49 PM
CPerez100
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Thanx for the info ...
Old 01-07-02, 12:21 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up

Thanks alot West, You have saved the me and my familys life once again.
Old 01-10-02, 11:52 AM
willard west
Pole Position

Posed my question to a group gathered around the water cooler.

Question: I firmly believe FWD vehicles are more hazardous on LTS than RWD but how do I properly relate that in a CL post?

"FWD cars will get you smartly, firmly and safely up a slippery incline, but they will often come down slippery inclines BACKWARDS!"

"RWD cars are no threat because they will not get you up the incline to begin with!"

Admittedly a strange but true way of making my point.
Old 01-10-02, 05:23 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

hahaha, good point