ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

vibration issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-14, 07:30 PM
jc2005
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vibration issues

I have a 99 es300 just had the front rotors, calipers and brakes changed and had an alignment done but at highway speeds the car still vibrates really bad. When I got the alignment done they told me I needed 2 mew rear tires. Could that be causing the vibrations or could it be something else?
Old 06-15-14, 10:13 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Bad tires can cause a vibration, but it depends on the type of vibration you're having. Do you feel it through your hands in the steering wheel, in your butt through the car seat, or in your foot from the gas pedal, etc?
Old 06-16-14, 03:54 AM
jc2005
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Bad tires can cause a vibration, but it depends on the type of vibration you're having. Do you feel it through your hands in the steering wheel, in your butt through the car seat, or in your foot from the gas pedal, etc?
I only feel it through my hands in the steering wheel.
Old 06-16-14, 07:15 AM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jc2005
I only feel it through my hands in the steering wheel.
The vibration is coming from the front. Check your lug nuts to make sure the wheels are secured evenly to the hubs. Check your tire pressures. It could be bad tie rod ends (the linkage between the steering rack and the tire). You can check by jacking the front of the car up and trying to shake the wheels back and forth at 3 and 9 o clock for tie rod movement, and at 12 and 6 o clock for ball joint movement.

If it's not the tires or lugs nuts, get it addressed immediately as your joints could be very close to coming apart.
Old 06-16-14, 04:59 PM
jc2005
Driver School Candidate

The vibration is coming from the front. Check your lug nuts to make sure the wheels are secured evenly to the hubs. Check your tire pressures. It could be bad tie rod ends (the linkage between the steering rack and the tire). You can check by jacking the front of the car up and trying to shake the wheels back and forth at 3 and 9 o clock for tie rod movement, and at 12 and 6 o clock for ball joint movement.

If it's not the tires or lugs nuts, get it addressed immediately as your joints could be very close to coming apart.
So I just got home and tried to move both tires and neither one budged. I checked the lug nuts and they were all on fine. I visually checked the air pressure and as you can see from the pictures one could use a little air but I don't think its to the point where it would cause it to vibrate that bad but I will go physically check them later.
Attached Thumbnails vibration issues-win_20140616_195119.jpg   vibration issues-win_20140616_195130.jpg  
Old 06-22-14, 07:07 AM
mark71
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What did you find?? I am having the same problem.
Old 06-22-14, 08:03 AM
jc2005
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mark71
What did you find?? I am having the same problem.
I still haven't found a solution yet. I'm going to have it looked at this week.
Old 06-24-14, 05:26 PM
mark71
Rookie

So what did the mechanic say? Mine said that the tire(s) probably has a "flat spot" and it will work itself out.
total BS.
Old 06-24-14, 05:56 PM
jc2005
Driver School Candidate

So what did the mechanic say? Mine said that the tire(s) probably has a "flat spot" and it will work itself out.
total BS.
Lol yea that doesn't even sound believable. My mechanic found out that it was my brake hose. It was causing my calipers to restrict like my foot was on the brake the whole time. Once he broke the line it loosened all my wheels up. It was so bad that less than 2 weeks after having all of that stuff changed, my brakes are completely gone, my rotors are warped and the calipers are turning a different color because of the heat so they have to be changed again too.
Old 06-27-14, 05:25 PM
mark71
Rookie

"My mechanic found out that it was my brake hose. It was causing my calipers to restrict like my foot was on the brake the whole time. Once he broke the line it loosened all my wheels up..."

LOL!!! My mechanic also mentioned that my caliper was doing the SAME thing. Told me I need 2 new calipers. $700. The guy could barely put 2 sentences together so that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy.

Now I just have to find a mechanic to look at the brake hose. What do you mean he "broke" the line? I have to try and convey this to the next mechanic I talk too about this. if you and I have had this problem I believe it must be a common issue with this generation of ES300.

Mark
Old 06-27-14, 05:47 PM
jc2005
Driver School Candidate

"My mechanic found out that it was my brake hose. It was causing my calipers to restrict like my foot was on the brake the whole time. Once he broke the line it loosened all my wheels up..."

LOL!!! My mechanic also mentioned that my caliper was doing the SAME thing. Told me I need 2 new calipers. $700. The guy could barely put 2 sentences together so that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy.

Now I just have to find a mechanic to look at the brake hose. What do you mean he "broke" the line? I have to try and convey this to the next mechanic I talk too about this. if you and I have had this problem I believe it must be a common issue with this generation of ES300.

Mark
700???? Lmao that is ridiculous and doesn't even sound believable lmao... you can get calipers for around 50 a piece....I'm not sure what he meant by that I assumed it was a term mechanics used and because I trust him I didn't even think to ask especially since he told me I might need the hose replaced beforehand but whatever it means he said as soon as he did it all of the wheels spun normally... it wouldn't surprise me if it was a common issue.... how many miles are on yours?
Old 06-28-14, 07:06 AM
mark71
Rookie

My 98 ES300 has 179, 250 miles.
Old 06-28-14, 08:20 AM
lostape45
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Just curious but what would a vibration from the gas pedal mean?
Old 06-28-14, 09:44 AM
mark71
Rookie

JC2005,

Can you please call your mechanic and find out exactly what was required to fix your issue?
I would appreciate it. Should only be a quick call. Here is why I need to know. I have already told my mechanic that the "brake line needs to be broken loose" and they have no idea what I am talking about.

Mark
Old 06-28-14, 04:24 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

JC2005, Can you please call your mechanic and find out exactly what was required to fix your issue? I would appreciate it. Should only be a quick call. Here is why I need to know. I have already told my mechanic that the "brake line needs to be broken loose" and they have no idea what I am talking about. Mark
Mark, your statement makes very little sense, that's why they had no idea what you meant.

The issue the other guy was having is with his brake calipers. They seized up and caused the vibration he was having. From what I understand, his mechanic damaged one of the brake hoses while trying to remove it from the caliper. You may not need to touch your brake lines, only the calipers.

What you want to have your mechanic do is inspect your brake calipers.

Last edited by Hayk; 06-28-14 at 08:13 PM.

Quick Reply: vibration issues