ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Are bad strut mounts and alignment lead to poor gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-07, 05:16 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Are bad strut mounts and alignment lead to poor gas mileage?

Ever since last thursday when i filled up that my gas mileage has been getting worse.. Also my front end is getting worse and i just ordered my parts today... I really think that because of the alignment and strut mounts that i'm getting the poor mileage..The car really wonders to the left pretty bad. I'll have to live with it until i get my parts but can this be the cause.. I just noticed it maybe last week and more this week. Or i was thinking the O2 sensors? Are those easy to replace? Any input would be great.. Thanks car has 87k, new timing belt, gaskets etc..

Tony
Old 08-13-07, 05:59 PM
ivory98es3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your Air/Fuel sensors were crapping out, you would get a CEL for them. Make sure your tires are inflated properly - also when the timing belt was changed, what else was changed at that time?

I had my fuel filter replace, valves adjusted, EGR cleaned out, etc....
When was the last time you put some injector cleaner in there?
The only thing a bad alignment is going to do is wear out your tires faster....
HTH
Old 08-13-07, 07:00 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by ivory98es3
If your Air/Fuel sensors were crapping out, you would get a CEL for them. Make sure your tires are inflated properly - also when the timing belt was changed, what else was changed at that time?

I had my fuel filter replace, valves adjusted, EGR cleaned out, etc....
When was the last time you put some injector cleaner in there?
The only thing a bad alignment is going to do is wear out your tires faster....
HTH
Here's a list of what they did

Valve cover gaskets
spark plugs/wires
Timing belt
cam seals
crank seal
water pump
oil pump seal

I've been using SeaFoam the last few times but not this last time.. I've used 2 bottles in the last maybe 3-4 fill ups.. No CEL either.. Its been awhile since i've cleaned the throttle body etc.. and the pVC valve hasn't been done either..

Tony
Old 08-14-07, 04:49 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Ever since last thursday when i filled up that my gas mileage has been getting worse.. Also my front end is getting worse and i just ordered my parts today... I really think that because of the alignment and strut mounts that i'm getting the poor mileage..The car really wonders to the left pretty bad. I'll have to live with it until i get my parts but can this be the cause.. I just noticed it maybe last week and more this week. Or i was thinking the O2 sensors? Are those easy to replace? Any input would be great.. Thanks car has 87k, new timing belt, gaskets etc..

Tony
Hi Tony,

I'm still suffering with the noisy strut problem too! Like yourself, I'm trying to save up the cash to get rid of the problem. Over here in Aust just the strut mounts cost $125 per side! Ouch! I already have the front bushings to go on as well, but are there any other parts I should consider getting as well such as the bearings? I will be doing this very soon.

Also, IMO if your wheel alignment is out then YES, you will definately get bad fuel economy!(not sure about the struts though) The engine is having to work harder due to the increased resistance caused by the wheels not being properly aligned (this will also cause bad premature wear on your tyres) - Think about it, imagine in a worst case senario that your front wheels were really bent and you were trying to go straight - your engine would be reving to the limit and that means burning alot more fuel! Or imagine trying to push your car with bad alignment compared to one that is straight - it is harder to do. The same thing is happening with your engine and the fuel needed to propell it, albeit to a far lesser degree - but it is still happening if you know what I mean.

Keep us updated on the noisy strut problem!

LEX ES300
Old 08-14-07, 06:00 AM
ivory98es3
Driver

You can check the PCV valve by unplugging it and shaking it - if you hear the check clicking, then you are Ok - if not, then replace (they are cheap so I just replace it).

The noisy strut problem - I just fixed mine on my '98. I replaced both mounts, bearings, and struts along the front end = no more noise!! Ride is back to smoothness like she is riding on rails
Old 08-14-07, 06:54 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by ivory98es3
You can check the PCV valve by unplugging it and shaking it - if you hear the check clicking, then you are Ok - if not, then replace (they are cheap so I just replace it).

The noisy strut problem - I just fixed mine on my '98. I replaced both mounts, bearings, and struts along the front end = no more noise!! Ride is back to smoothness like she is riding on rails
I just orderd everything yesterday from ajusa.com.. strut mounts, strut bearings, and struts.. 251.00 + free shipping.. I thought that was a good price for parts... I'm going to toyota after work to get a PCV valve..

Thanks

Tony
Old 08-14-07, 12:26 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

I just replaced my PCV valve and yes I heard a rattle when i shook it but replaced it anyway.. The part was 12.00 and change from the local toyota dealer.. Well its preventative..
Old 08-17-07, 10:34 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Well i received my KyB's today along with my strut mounts.. Really looking forward to getting these parts installed.. I ordered on the 13th and got everything today.. Pretty fast shipping from CA.. Should be Monday or Tuesday before i get these installed..
Old 08-17-07, 11:25 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

It'll be a whole different world for you. Take some before, install and after pictures of the experience.

Old 08-17-07, 11:47 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
It'll be a whole different world for you. Take some before, install and after pictures of the experience.

I'll try.. I'll probably end up dropping the car off at the mechanic.. I'll ask him to keep the old parts to see any wear and tear on the stock parts..
Old 08-17-07, 12:50 PM
bryant
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tmf i just ordered my struts off ajusa all i got was the struts and mounts i couldnt find any bearings are the bearing kyb as well?
Old 08-17-07, 03:23 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by bryant
tmf i just ordered my struts off ajusa all i got was the struts and mounts i couldnt find any bearings are the bearing kyb as well?

The bearings will come with the strut mounts.. and yes the bearing is KYB.. I thought it was a good price considering you get the mount and bearing as a package.. GL..
Old 08-17-07, 03:33 PM
bryant
Driver School Candidate

o ok thanks just making sure yeah the price is unbeatable i paid 198 for the rear two struts
Old 08-17-07, 03:39 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by bryant
o ok thanks just making sure yeah the price is unbeatable i paid 198 for the rear two struts
THats a good price.. I paid 251 for the front struts and strut mounts.. Getting them installed on Monday.. GL..
Old 08-17-07, 08:47 PM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

What color are the struts black or silver?

Quick Reply: Are bad strut mounts and alignment lead to poor gas mileage?