ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300 Coilover install Worklog

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-07, 06:29 AM
Smitty
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Seize
Nice write-up and illustrations. Hopefully the rain ceases soon and you can get the other ones in there
yeah hopefully I can get it knocked out today. Ad least I had time to finish another small project I had. I switched up the bezel finally.

My smiling face

-Smitty
Old 07-30-07, 07:33 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OOOOOO I love the car pc. Nice job with the wood trim looks factory. Very nice write up/pics I'm gonna use your write up if I can ever figure out a way to get coilovers to work with my rims.
Old 07-30-07, 01:11 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Update:

Well wanted to finish up today but rain is coming down in buckets. I got meetings for the rest of the week so I wont be getting back to this till probably Thursday or Friday. We'll get it done though.

-Smitty
Old 07-30-07, 09:17 PM
SheehanMat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dope writeup!
Old 07-31-07, 08:43 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Rears
And it continues

Well didnt get off till a little late today but I decided to knock the rears out and get it over with. So get the car jacked up and remove the wheels.

Smitty Tip 2

Always always always use jack stands. It can save your life.

Loosen the bolts that hold the brake line and the break sensor wire.

Old 07-31-07, 08:47 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Now using an allen wrench and a wrench loosen the bolt holding the sway bar link.

Remove the two strut bolts. Careful they can be a little tuff to remove. Use a good breaker bar to get them off.

Loosen the 3 nuts on the top of the strut mount in the rear seats.

And Carefully remove the strut and spring

Shocker

Quick pic with everything removed.

Old 07-31-07, 08:50 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Caution

Dont be stupid like I did and forget to put something under your hub to support the weight and have it hanging by your ABS sensor wire.

I forgot to do that then as I was taking the picture I realized what I forgot to do.
Old 07-31-07, 09:00 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Now what I did was try to line up the coilovers as much as I could with the old strut and springs. Tried to line up where the sway bar link hooks up. I also tried to adjust the total height of the coilover as well to get a good starting place for my ride height.

Once I got the coilover adjusted at the height I wanted and got the sway bar link hole in the correct position I took the coilover for the other side and adjusted it to match the coilover I just finished.

I cant stress this enough but measure 3 and 4 times that way you wont have problems. When I got everything the way I wanted I locked everything in place and measured again.

Now at this point if you look very closely I almost made a mistake. The actual height of the coilover was the same but the height of the spring was different and I almost didnt catch it. That would have made one side higher than the other thus causing me to have to readjust it. Again measure measure measure
Old 07-31-07, 09:07 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Next I adjusted the camber on both coils before they went on. Make sure you line the studs up correctly and the front of the coil to where they will be going once its on the car. That way you can make sure you're adjusting your camber the right way if you decide to adjust camber.

Next up I adjusted the dampering to the standard per the instructions included. I believe the instructions said turn clockwise all the way and that was the hardest sitting and then 2 counter-clockwise turns and you're at the standard setting. I did this as well with both coilovers.

Once I checked and double checked my measurements, my camber and ensured I setup both coilovers for the rears exactly the same I put them back on and put everything back together.

Now unfortunately the instructions included arent all that great and didnt address what to do with the brake line and the brake sensor so I zip tied them out of the way of any moving objects. I am going to be contacting Ksport to find out the correct procedure for this.

Old 07-31-07, 09:12 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Unfortunately it was about 10-10:30 when I finished so I didnt get a chance to take any good pics of the height. I took a quick 20 minute drive and it rides pretty well so far. I do notice that the rear feels stiffer but overall it rides pretty well. I did max out the camber in the rear but I really dont notice a huge difference in look. I will be taking some pics tomorrow sometime and hopefully I can knock out the fronts tomorrow as well. Luckly I got the hardest part over with and the fronts are pretty easy. I did however leave my seats out so that I could adjust the dampering as needed before I cover it all back up. Well thats it for tonight but hope to be done soon.

And yes I know I need to change those ugly rotors out. Thats my next mod. lol

-Smitty
Old 08-04-07, 10:14 AM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

Your Es is gonna look Sweet when your done Smitty.
Im looking forward to droppin mines soon too.
Oh and the new Rims is Tight
Old 08-04-07, 03:33 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Looks sic Smitty. Did you ever get a chance to measure the threaded part of the coilovers to see how much wider it is than stock.
Old 08-04-07, 04:09 PM
lexsterES
Pole Position

Wow!! great write up smitty!!! Hit me up on a pm if you have some questions, I also installed my coilovers myself. My d2's are almost identical to you ksports!! GL and at least you got the harder ones in. Oh, a good way to see your dampering is to use a level against your rims.
Old 08-04-07, 04:13 PM
Smitty
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexsterES
Wow!! great write up smitty!!! Hit me up on a pm if you have some questions, I also installed my coilovers myself. My d2's are almost identical to you ksports!! GL and at least you got the harder ones in. Oh, a good way to see your dampering is to use a level against your rims.
I'll definitely hit u up. I just finished the fronts yesterday and I gotta post up the rest of the pics. Gotta go get an alignment after I finish readjusting the height some more and the camber plate.

Originally Posted by Choas
Looks sic Smitty. Did you ever get a chance to measure the threaded part of the coilovers to see how much wider it is than stock.
I'll measure it for ya soon. I gotta take the fronts off again cuz I need to adjust the camber plate some more. I'm making all the mistakes now so yall dont have too.

Originally Posted by Maxx941
Your Es is gonna look Sweet when your done Smitty.
Im looking forward to droppin mines soon too.
Oh and the new Rims is Tight
Thanks bro. Love the your sig too

-Smitty
Old 08-04-07, 05:27 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Smitty0881
I'll measure it for ya soon. I gotta take the fronts off again cuz I need to adjust the camber plate some more. I'm making all the mistakes now so yall dont have too.

-Smitty
Thanks man and if you get the chance could you check out the rear. Also don't meen to sound like a noob but what is the camber plate

Quick Reply: ES300 Coilover install Worklog