ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Which Model Year Are The Quietest?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-07, 08:56 AM
iamgine
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Model Year Are The Quietest?

First post here..please be lenient

I am on the highway a lot and I am thinking of buying Lexus because it is said to be the quietest car around. I have my eyes set on the ES300/330. I wanted to buy the LS430 but it is too big and long I feel it's going to be hard to find parking spots (besides, it gets terrible mpg). So, which model year do you think provide the quietest ride out of all the ES models? Quietness is a very important feature to me because I want to be able to hear my music uninterrupted by road/wind noise. Or perhaps suggest me another model/car?

Thanks.
Old 07-16-07, 08:59 AM
Sash
Lead Lap

I've got a 97 ES300, on the highway with all the windows shut I can faintly here my engine running, that's if I don't have my music on at all. With the music on I really don't here anything around me.
Old 07-16-07, 11:04 AM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Theyre all quiet. Even the older ones were way ahead of everything else.
Old 07-16-07, 12:03 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Lightbulb

Most replies to this type of question would be conjecture and opinion.
If you want objective information that is the result of testing, you're going to have to do some homework. Consult one (or more) automotive magazine(s) that actually tested interior noise (dB) levels for each generation of ES.

You can use this reference for the years of each generation, and it will give you some additional information that you might consider pre-purchase.

Welcome, and good luck with your purchasing decision and process!
Old 07-16-07, 03:31 PM
13loody
Pole Position

Just sound dampen your entire interior with Dynamat Xtreme (if you have the extra cash) or Second Skin. The two are almost identical, except for the price and brand recognition, which may or may not help you when reselling the car. If you know someone at Best Buy, s/he can get the Dynamat Xtreme cheaper than Second Skin, and you'll have the benefit of resale value as well. It's SOOOO much quieter than anything stock. You should use the Dynamat paint/spray/goop thing for the wheel well between the metal and liner. IIRC, that should only add ~100lbs to your car. Avoid cheap crap that comes off with summer heat and gives off nauseating odors from the ASSphalt stuff put in for mass loading. Never made that mistake, and I never will. It's great having friends you can experiment this kind of stuff on first ^_^

Other than that, you may want to check on the window seals. It pisses me off when people closes the door by pushing on the window! It get's misaligned slightly and when I'm on the freeway, there's a gap just big enough to annoy the hell out of me with wind noise. People have used double-sided tape, and whatnot to fix that issue.. there's a topic on that, just search.
Old 07-16-07, 04:11 PM
iamgine
Driver School Candidate

Do you guys actually dampen your Lexus even more?? Doesn't people buy Lexus so they don't have to deal with sound dampening? I tried it before and boy it takes dedication to do properly. I have neither the time or the energy to do it. And I really don't think DIY dampening on any car can be better than Lexus unless you're really dedicated to it and have done it on several cars before.
Old 07-16-07, 05:48 PM
13loody
Pole Position

There are people who enjoy a VERY quiet ride, and then there are those who throw in sound systems that would benefit greatly from sound dampening. Although Lexus' are generally quiet, but they can be quieter.

Dedication is needed for anything worth pursuing in my opinion. Sound dampening only takes a weekend. You could even break it up, doing the trunk, back seats, wheel wells, then front seats/footing. Also, you're adding to it, not replacing so of course it will be better than Lexus' original.

I personally think any DIY can EASILY be better than original with the extra thought put into it. One can easily surpass Lexus' standards. Their logo is "Pursuing perfection," not "Perfect. Period." Newer Lexus' are very quiet, needing almost no additional sound dampening, but our cars are over a decade old so they can use it.
Old 07-16-07, 05:59 PM
bren_speed
Driver

I've owned a 1997 ES300 and now own a 2003 ES300. The 2003 ES is much quieter than the 97. The car is so quiet i have to look at the RPM gauge to make sure the car is running. The 97 made some wind noise from the window(driver side) and I could hear the engine(like an air intake sound). I'm sure the newer ES 350 is quieter but I haven't bought one yet. My next Lex will be a GS350.

Lexus's own(ed):
1993 SC400(sold)
1997 ES300(sold)
2003 GS300
2003 ES300
Old 07-16-07, 06:12 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Well technology has improved over the years and Lexus has been the benchmark since its debut, just like Toyota has. Id rather hear my sweet engine whine than add 100 lbs to my car. Its heavy enough as it is.
Old 07-16-07, 09:36 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
Most replies to this type of question would be conjecture and opinion.
If you want objective information that is the result of testing, you're going to have to do some homework. Consult one (or more) automotive magazine(s) that actually tested interior noise (dB) levels for each generation of ES.

You can use this reference for the years of each generation, and it will give you some additional information that you might consider pre-purchase.

Welcome, and good luck with your purchasing decision and process!
yeah true. what youre actually referring to i believe is NVH(noise vehicle handling). and 92-2001 were actually really good. if you dont believe, go and test drive one. im sure youll be happy. if you decide elsewise, dynamat/other liners will do what you need.
Goodluck
Charley