ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Bad News

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-01, 05:57 AM
IrockLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad News

Ok Everyone I have a really big and really expensive problem as so the local lexus dealer told me. I noticed my car was not holding oil like it should. I changed my oil and then 1000 miles later the oil light was already coming on. So I took it down and they said that that engine was sludged pretty bad (caused by whoever had it for 10 years before me not changing the oil). They said that if it was only in the upper part of the engine that labor itself would just be 1200 not including parts ect. If they had to go into the bottom part of the engine then we would really be talking major $$$. They recomended that it might be cheaper to look around and try to find a used Camry V6 engine or even a ES 300 one. I dont really like the idea of having a Camry engine so they told me that another option was to go with a rebuilt JASPER engine. I have never heard of this company before and dont know their work but if anyone has any suggestions or ANY help at all pleeeeeze let me know.

Thanks
IrockLex (By the way it is a 94')
Old 12-11-01, 08:05 AM
CPerez100
Lexus Test Driver

I will recommend just getting a used engine. Not camry, but from another ES300....

Good luck !, sorry to hear about your problem
Old 12-11-01, 08:56 AM
CPerez100
Lexus Test Driver

one friend told me that there is some type of OIL in the market that can extend the life of the engine... ask around... we're trying to find out the name of it. At least it will give you more time before it dies out while you are saving $$
Old 12-11-01, 10:06 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

what kind of problems were you having, please describe in detail!

Thanks
Old 12-11-01, 11:52 AM
IrockLex
Driver School Candidate

The problems were the oil was somehow burning and also it would smoke when starting after sitting overnight very sluggish acceleration ect. They told me I would have to replace all valve seals, gaskets, valves and probably a new set of rings. They said that the engine was sludged pretty badly.
Old 12-11-01, 12:12 PM
Captain Ratman
Pole Position

Unhappy Engine is Probably Toast

Originally posted by IrockLex
The problems were the oil was somehow burning and also it would smoke when starting after sitting overnight very sluggish acceleration ect. They told me I would have to replace all valve seals, gaskets, valves and probably a new set of rings. They said that the engine was sludged pretty badly.
If sludge was allowed to build-up the way that Lexus described it, then it prematurely wore down all of the friction points at which the engine operated. I am sure that they did a compression test which revealed very "low" compression (I believe that the earlier lex's have about a 10.5:1 ratio) which is usually less than 60 lbs. I guess the question is: are you loosing oil into you radiator fluid via a "blown gasket" or is it simply burning out the back? I would say in this case that your probably burning it out the back. Try this.......floor the accelerator and look at your rearview mirror. If you see a lot of smoke (black or blue-black) then your valves, rings, valve seats, etc. are shot and your getting a condition called "blow by" (excessive oil seeping into combustion chamber causing it to burn). If it is a lighter color such as grey, white or light blue then your head gasket is blown. Also, pull out a spark plug and look at the electrode. If it is very black and wet, then you have "blow by" and your engine needs re-built or replaced. If it is white in color or reddish-white then your head gasket is blown. You never mentioned the engines mileage....how many miles does it have?

In any event, sounds like your motor is shot considering the amount of oil you are loosing. Take a look at your spark plugs and let me know what you see. If possible, take a pic of one of them and post a reply.

Thanks,

Scott.
Old 12-11-01, 01:08 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

The product is called "Restore" and it comes in 6 cylinder bottle and 8 cylinder bottle. You can get it at your local auto parts store or Walmart. When did your car start doing all this? How long have you had the car? Please give us the mileage and the conditon of the vehicle.

Thank You,

Erfan Afshar
Old 12-11-01, 01:10 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

perez,

can you please post a pic of your car?

Thanks
Old 12-11-01, 01:20 PM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

I have found your jasper motor, click on the link below and you will find a remanufactured motor with warranty for $5600.00. Jasper remanufactures motors for virtually any vehicle.

http://www.jasperengines.com/frames.html

goto product catalog and input your info.

Hope this helps you in your endeavors

Thanks

Erfan
Old 12-11-01, 05:13 PM
VZV21
Rookie

Default Re: Bad News

Originally posted by IrockLex
I dont really like the idea of having a Camry engine so they told me that another option was to go with a rebuilt JASPER engine. I have never heard of this company before and dont know their work but if anyone has any suggestions or ANY help at all pleeeeeze let me know.

Thanks
IrockLex (By the way it is a 94')
uhhh......I hope you do realize that up until about 1997, the Camry and ES300/250 had the exact same engine, except for engine covers and black traim paint (ES250 versus Red trim in the Camry).

Jasper is pretty much a well known engine rebuilding company. There engines are also warrantied as well (can't remember the terms). Now what's gonna happen, is it will say it's for the Camry also, that engine may very well have a toyota badge on it. Just swap the engine covers if this bothers you.

Among other things, Restore is a oil additive, which its little pellots will seal the imperfections in the cylinder wall, restoring the compression to closer to original levels. Though I use this product, I always wondered how much does the oil filter filter out this stuff. Shake well before using.....it is available in even smaller 4 cylinder cans.
Old 12-11-01, 10:41 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

This is not a remedy, but it is related to the problem with your car. Maybe it will help someone else...

[Quote by "The Ikon"]I was at a local Lexus repair shop and the mechanics told me to be aware of extreme sludge build up in the engine. They said it was a big problem now with the ES3 92-96. They also said every time the Lexus dealer in which they use to work got an ES3 from trade or from Lexus auction the 1st thing they(mechanics) would do is take off the valve cover to inspect for build up.

One of the guys said once it has moderate to major build up, the dealer would not accept the trade(if so, it would be shipped out immediately to be sold)! They said it was also a concern at Lexus training school too. There's no way to remove it once it starts to form. He said the best car to buy is one that change the oil(with documentation) religiously at 3 to 5K miles.

They actually showed me what to look for from an engine(out of a 95 ES3 with about 90,000 miles) they were rebuilding. They said it is worth the 20 minutes to remove the cover and inspect it, maybe both sides...

They also said the info was in their Lexus service bulletins, and to ask any service department or Lexus mechanic about it.... [Quote end]***

entire link https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=20741

Your/this problem occurs more than you know...

Let us know the outcome...

The Ikon
Old 12-12-01, 05:50 AM
IrockLex
Driver School Candidate

My engine has 68K on it and it is a 94'. I have only had the car for 4 months. So whoever had it before me obviously didnt change the oil. If you ask me that is just plain dumb I meand like 25$ every 3K miles isnt going to make you bankrupt. Only down the road if you dont do it. A pic of my car is posted in the gallery on the second page under "my lex" is a pic from far away because I dont have a digital camera or scanner but I can take pics and use a friends for inspection of the engine, spark plugs ect.
Old 12-12-01, 06:45 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Where did you buy the car? and how much? . I bought my 1995 about 4 months ago with 93K on the clock and i recently had the valve stem seals done and the valve cover gaskets and the Toyota dealership that did the work pulled the valve cover gaskets off and lo and behold the motor was clean as a babys behind. The cams and sprockets and the interior of the head was clean and had the usual oil film on it. And so i was very happy to see that. The person before me was very responsible and took care of thier car, It was a woman. I love Women, they are so responsible when it comes to maintanence and such.

Last edited by Erfan; 12-12-01 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-12-01, 06:56 AM
Erfan
Lexus Test Driver

Irocklex,

If I were you, I would hang on to the car for another 6 months to a year and save up for a nice down payment and then trade it in for a 1996 or higher ES300, and please this time have the valve cover pulled off and check it through and through. I for one would not invest anymore in that car unless you really want to keep it, becuase a motor is going to cost at least $3k or more and that is putting the horse before the carriage if you know what i mean. Just keep driving it and put gas in it and change the oil and then trade her in.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Erfan
[IMG]file:///C:/My%20Music/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/010521_mideast_new02.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Erfan; 12-12-01 at 09:25 AM.
Old 12-12-01, 03:15 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Re: Bad News

Originally posted by VZV21

uhhh......I hope you do realize that up until about 1997, the Camry and ES300/250 had the exact same engine, except for engine covers and black traim paint (ES250 versus Red trim in the Camry).

Whaaaaaa...??? The ES3 and the ES250 have two totally different engines.

Last edited by SecPole14; 12-12-01 at 04:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Bad News