ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

headers? Y-Pipe? etc? is these any good?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-07, 11:55 AM
swifty562
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headers? Y-Pipe? etc? is these any good?

i was on motors.ebay and i decided to look for some parts.. and to find out some guy or company by OBX offering stainless steel headers...

check it out
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-S...QQcmdZViewItem

need some insight on this for those who have custom y-pipes etc... is this any good? if it is.. price seems reasonable
Old 05-26-07, 02:10 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Nobody, anywhere I know of has run them yet. Talk from afew mr2 v6 swappers of someone going to try them.

Search OBX, SSA autochrome, you'll find what you're looking for.

AFA them fitting I'd definately let someone be the guinney pig. See, all the v6 flanges, and headers are slightly different in shape, size & construction.
3vz-fe different than 1mz-fe. A/T's are diferent than M/T's. They'll either be designed to bolt to one, or the other. Probably not both.
May take some minor re-drilling to get them to fit. And the EGR's are in different locations, so for anyone keeping EGR on whatever it doesn't directly fit, that'll take some minor modifications. (or delete EGR) Just not as nice. I think his made 12whp(15bhp) in conjunction with an intake.

Otherwise. They're always cheap. The merge is short & the rear bank is cut to angles. Sorta reminds me of that y-pipe what's his name had afew copies of made say 5-6 years ago. Pre ToyotaNation when it was just tt-cc.

http://east.search.yahoo.com/search?...tab-web-t&b=11
Old 05-26-07, 03:24 PM
swifty562
Lead Lap

after reading some post on a maxima fourm... it seems like obx have some problem with fitment. and it seems like the one they're selling have smaller flanges in the stock pipes...

http://forums.nycmaximas.org/showthread.php?t=20592

the fourm was talking about hotshot, obx, and cattman

i'm not sure with the one on ebay that i found ,but it seems to me that the flanges are smaller... i can't say, because theres no info about it.
Old 05-26-07, 05:03 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Right. It's pretty much gunna be a try it & see.
It's not the headers that will make power (same as the maxima's) the differance in the stock logs & those aftermarket headers is pretty neglidgeable N/A. The stock logs do have a sorta *weak) flow strategy in them, they're not just smoothe walled logs on the inside if you take a look. Which is why they're really not all that restrictive. They're just untuned b/c they're too short for the stock powerband to be useful.

The power mostly comes from fixing the y-pipe. Take the vq30de maxima's for instance. They get 15-19whp just fixing the y-pipe. The header/y-pipe combinations for the longest time on them only got 15-20whp on the N/A engines. More on the supercharged ones. For lack of a better explaination. It's like fixing a problem from the wrong end. You're fixing problems, but problems that are not as evidant at 200-230bhp as they are at 275-300bhp.

At any rate. Buy these shorty headers to get the y-pipe. Not to get "headers" hehehe. The header part really won't do much unless you're running a very high rpm engine (8-9K+), or you're running a blower / lotta n2o.

http://www.v6performance.net/forums/...archid=1394884
Honda/Acura guys have obx headers aswell. Just be careful when you run into the odd i4 thread on v6performance lol
Old 05-26-07, 07:33 PM
GrahamHill
Rookie

Looks like a better design y-pipe from that one would help out!
Old 05-26-07, 09:25 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

On occasion on www.solaraguy.org, these types of headers come up and the thinking is they were prototypes from Megan Racing, which was doing some development work for some 1MZFE headers, using the Solara as the guinea pig.
Old 05-26-07, 10:40 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

megan racing did some 1mz-fe stuff.

i just remembered who it was. warpspeed performance (warpspeed motorsports). They did a handful of 1-off y-pipes that look similar to those.

It's pretty much always sole people doing their own pipes.
A pair of australians had liverpool exhaust do a 2 production run 2 years ago. At the time they were offering $450 USD + Shipping. Some of the problems were exhaust leaks. http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t76173.html

There's always JP Performance (gay) headers for a 1mz-fe modified. JP Performance made atleast 1 set of y-pipes for the later year 1mz-fe's. (tho no production)

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t69133.html

wontonjohnny did his 3vz-fe's himself
2wickedtoyz hacked his OEM 1mz-fe up
KirbyDude had one made
terrastrife had a nice flowing one made. It's interesting in that they can't be made simpler, but it's not the easyest to install (hard pipes), and the merge could still be elongated by not using a pre-fabbed pressed merge. It's probably been my favorite toy v6 y-pipe I've seen. It does exactly what the exhaust should do. Get the stuff away from the engine in an expadited manner.
Old 05-26-07, 10:46 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

and the sorta "original" y-pipes you'll find online for toyota v6's. would have been the 2-5 ultimate y-pipes made way back on tt-cc.
those look nearly identical to the obx ones. Just... The OBX ones don't look nearly as good.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t158255.html

Those made around 10whp.

Anyways... There are others out there too that have gone custom.

Last edited by Pheonix; 05-27-07 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-27-07, 07:01 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I also remember Xerd coming out with 'long-tube' headers, http://community.webshots.com/album/81275001JjUuiM however a lot of people complained about customer service issues among other things.
Old 05-27-07, 09:52 AM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know that with some OBX aplications on other models, the fit is not exact. For example, on some altima's you have to shave a little bit of the block for the downpipe to clear.
Old 05-27-07, 10:20 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mcelligott
I know that with some OBX aplications on other models, the fit is not exact. For example, on some altima's you have to shave a little bit of the block for the downpipe to clear.
I agree. TunedRX300 and I came to a similar conclusion with the 1MZFE in the RX300 that the pipe running underneath the engine and the cutoff going to the rear bank wouldn't be an exact fit. I am sure other models may have a similar issue.
Old 05-27-07, 12:32 PM
swifty562
Lead Lap

so who wants to be the guinney pig to try this out? i'm so close to getting a custom made instead...
Old 05-27-07, 01:37 PM
huerdo623
Pole Position

Phoenix, or anyone,do I need to get headers if I get a new muffler system, I just want a little more umph.
Old 05-27-07, 02:20 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

No. You can either have the OEM muffler cut off & a new one welded in, or you can replace it from the cat-converter back.
But alittle more ooomph is exactly what you get. The stock exhaust from the cat converter backwards is not particularly restrictive on the stock engine. Afew horsepower to be gained, but it's mostly sound & style - like an intake mod.
Old 05-27-07, 03:07 PM
huerdo623
Pole Position

Oh, ok so it is going to be a 1000 dollor project with not much power to show for.

Quick Reply: headers? Y-Pipe? etc? is these any good?