ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Clutch pedal squeeking

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-07, 05:41 PM
MCG33
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal squeeking

So lately the clutch pedal on my 92 ES has been really noisy whenever i press in/release it. Kind of sounds like a squeeky door, and I am guessing it just needs to be lubed up. I was just wondering where exactly I would do it and what products I should or shouldn't use for this before I just start spraying wd-40 up there and messing something up.

Also when the car is idling I've noticed that my slave cylinder seems to make a rattling sound in the engine bay that goes away when I press in the clutch pedal. Anyone know what might be causing this? I checked the fluid and its just slightly over the full line, so maybe there is too much fluid.. if anyone can help me out here I would appreciate it!
Old 05-01-07, 06:34 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by MCG33
So lately the clutch pedal on my 92 ES has been really noisy whenever i press in/release it. Kind of sounds like a squeeky door, and I am guessing it just needs to be lubed up. I was just wondering where exactly I would do it and what products I should or shouldn't use for this before I just start spraying wd-40 up there and messing something up.

Also when the car is idling I've noticed that my slave cylinder seems to make a rattling sound in the engine bay that goes away when I press in the clutch pedal. Anyone know what might be causing this? I checked the fluid and its just slightly over the full line, so maybe there is too much fluid.. if anyone can help me out here I would appreciate it!
Intesresting! My 92 5 speed does the same things, altough the squeeky pedal is not very loud at all, you can only hear it stopped w/ windows up and radio off. Im gonna leave it the way it is.

When I start it cold it makes a low pitched rumbling noise that goes away once warmed up or if you press the pedal. Im 99.9% sure its the throwout bearing but i can live with that too. Mechanically the car is flawless and runs top notch! 101K so far on original clutch; and i will obviously change the throwout bearing when/if i do the clutch. Has your clutch been replaced before? Also my 2nd gear once in a while will clash a little but not very bad, probably a bad syncro but it hasnt gotten any worse and it never not shifts into gear, not even reverse!

I would just maybe put up with these problems because you need to understand that a 5 speed manual ES 300 is a VERY rare car. Less than 2% of the 92-93 ES 300s sold in the US came equipped with a 5 speed.
Old 05-01-07, 07:00 PM
MCG33
Pole Position

Yeah mechanically everything works good so thats why I haven't messed with it much. The squeeking is fine with the windows down, but a lot of times I roll with the windows up and put the a/c on and the radio off so it can get annoying after a while.. The original owner said he had a new clutch put in around 100k (it has 165k now) and it didn't squeek at all until about 10k miles ago. Also I grind a lot going into 4th gear, but every other gear is smooth. It's especially bad down shifting from 5th when I'm on the highway.

Plus I know what you mean about how rare they are, so I really hope my transmission doesn't die anytime soon. I have a feeling it is going to be a PITA to find a new one if it does. I am going to try changing the transmission fluid and seeing if that helps out. My shifter feels really loose too, I can move the shifter almost an inch to the left when its in 3rd and 4th. Its not as bad in other gears. Have you noticed this too or is mine just worn out?
Old 05-01-07, 07:32 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Cool

Not really its pretty firm but yours has more miles on it. Changing the fluid will help but like mine youve probably got a bad syncronizer. If you dont beat on it it wont be a problem, try double-clutching when you think its gonna grind gears. My shift **** is getting kinda de-formed though!
Old 05-01-07, 08:08 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

HAHAHHAHHAZ.....funny i have the same damn problems.

The clutch squeaks when i press it and hell yeah its annoying. I tried WD-40 but it didnt work. I also have the vibration on the clutch pedal but i dunt think its related to the slave cylinder.

My transmission is pretty tight and shifts good but i do notice that on somedays its buttery smooth on others its a lil rough but definitely much better than other manual cars i've driven.

Also, all 4 of my doors squeak when i open/close it, kinda embarrassing for a lexus. Gotta fix it when i have time.

btw, are your shift ***** worn?

Here's a pic of mine:
Old 05-02-07, 08:27 AM
MCG33
Pole Position

Right on thanks guys. I feel much better knowing I'm not the only one with these problems. Guess I will just deal with em for now!

I also have the squeeky door problem Maniax, except mine is only on the drivers door. Also my shift **** looks about like yours if not worse.. but I just got a new piece of woodgrain for the console because mine was cracked, and it came with a black shift boot, so I am looking for a new shift **** to match. I'd like to see if a sc300 shifter would fit because I like how they look, but if not I may just go with a black Momo or TRD ****.
Old 05-02-07, 09:09 AM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MCG33
Right on thanks guys. I feel much better knowing I'm not the only one with these problems. Guess I will just deal with em for now!

I also have the squeeky door problem Maniax, except mine is only on the drivers door. Also my shift **** looks about like yours if not worse.. but I just got a new piece of woodgrain for the console because mine was cracked, and it came with a black shift boot, so I am looking for a new shift **** to match. I'd like to see if a sc300 shifter would fit because I like how they look, but if not I may just go with a black Momo or TRD ****.
Lemme know if u find a nice shift ****. I've been looking for one for the longest time but I dont want to just settle for any cuz i love how the OEM one feels. I called the toyota dealership for a camry shifter and these ***** wanted like $130+tax for a replacement ****.
Old 05-02-07, 06:03 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Smile

Wow $130 for a freeekin shift **** wtf?

My clutch also shudders a little but its not too bad, its just a warped flywheel, I can thank the previous owner for that. And the shot 2nd gear syncro I can thank the previous owner for that too. All relates to F ucc k ed up shifting. When/ if I do the clutch that will be taken care of.

My doors dont squeak but sometimes the switch for the rear doors that triggers the dome light gets hung up and donsent release all the way and you have to wiggle it. Sometimes its fine than others its like on/dim/on/half dim/on/dim/out/on .... well yeah Sound familiar?