ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES300: Replacing Cluster Backlighting Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-13, 01:15 PM
Steves330
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New LED Dash

Lexucan,
Another awesome and easy DIY fix. Mine looked your old look and now looks great! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails ES300: Replacing Cluster Backlighting Bulbs-led-dash-light-fix.jpg  
Old 01-23-14, 12:45 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

My needles have died, so I thought if I'm going to pull the cluster out I might as well replace all the lighting while I'm at it....

I'm going to use green LED's - I hope these ones on Ebay will do the trick - http://www.ebay.com/itm/T10-192-194-168-GREEN-LED-interior-speedometer-indicator-license-plate-light-/231130704152?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ALexus%7CModel%3AES300&hash=item35d076a918
I'm probably going to pull the needles from a cluster at a wreckers and send them to the same seller if they will let me just send the needles and repair them... I'm not sure if I want blue or red needles...

When I get the needles back I'll pull my cluster out and do the switch, and replace the backlighting bulbs...
Old 01-23-14, 01:45 AM
gtstcactus
Pole Position

any idea what sort of LEDs the chap in this video has used???

I cant find the remote controlled color changing ones with the T1 3/4 base..
Old 02-22-14, 05:54 AM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did this last night and I can't seem to make any of them work. I tested each LED individually and also made sure of the polarity but once installed none light up. Any suggestions?
Old 02-22-14, 07:34 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LudeNsoL
I did this last night and I can't seem to make any of them work. I tested each LED individually and also made sure of the polarity but once installed none light up. Any suggestions?
Check your ribbon cable and wiring harness connections. Something is preventing a proper electrical connection to the circuit board.
Old 02-22-14, 07:47 AM
LudeNsoL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the quick response and I checked everything. Its all connected all the way screws are snug. Still nothing. And now the tach spring became unsprung and needle does not move. I guess I will now need a new cluster unless there is a way to respiring the coil. ?
Old 02-22-14, 08:09 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by LudeNsoL
Thanks for the quick response and I checked everything. Its all connected all the way screws are snug. Still nothing. And now the tach spring became unsprung and needle does not move. I guess I will now need a new cluster unless there is a way to respiring the coil. ?
You obviously have more serious issues with your cluster than just dead LEDs

That is the risk in working with electronic parts that are two decades old. Wires and plastic can become brittle and break. I'm not sure how to deal with an unsprung tach. You may need to find a replacement for it.

As for the backlighting issue, something is clearly still not properly reconnected.
Old 02-22-14, 10:31 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

We can repair your cluster. Once the spring is messed up there is no going back. We can replace the motor assembly. We also fully rebuild the ES clusters with leds or whatever you need.

Www.taninautoelectronix.com
Old 10-31-14, 04:01 PM
monrovia72
Driver School Candidate

Default Question

I realize that this forum is pretty old, but I'm hoping to get some help. I followed the forum word for word pretty much and replaced my backlights from that gross urine color. When I went into the situation the right-hand side of my dash was pretty much completely dark. Now, after plugging everything back in, it's a lot prettier, but that right hand side is still pretty dark. Could this be a wiring problem? Or should I go back in on the right and switch the polarity of the bulbs, 'cause it's plausible that I put them in, on the wrong polarity. Any suggestions?
Old 10-31-14, 04:02 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Component failure on the circuit board
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 10-31-14, 04:26 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by monrovia72
I realize that this forum is pretty old, but I'm hoping to get some help. I followed the forum word for word pretty much and replaced my backlights from that gross urine color. When I went into the situation the right-hand side of my dash was pretty much completely dark. Now, after plugging everything back in, it's a lot prettier, but that right hand side is still pretty dark. Could this be a wiring problem? Or should I go back in on the right and switch the polarity of the bulbs, 'cause it's plausible that I put them in, on the wrong polarity. Any suggestions?
It's quite possible that one or more of your bulb polarities are wrong. I would recheck them before assuming that there is another problem.
Old 10-31-14, 04:30 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
Component failure on the circuit board
You wish...
Old 11-02-14, 04:23 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

We have clusters sent in all the time with this issue. If he didn't have half of his lighting before and still does not have lighting then it is a component failure on the main board.

The left and right side of the cluster backlighting is powered by two different circuits and one side failure is common.

Old 11-12-14, 11:51 AM
missjez
Driver School Candidate

So a few of my red needles are out and or flickering. My mileage/trip is also out. Will these instructions fix the mileage/odometer readings?
Old 11-12-14, 12:10 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

No. Odometer display not showing up is either a main board issue or the actual odometer display assembly.

Quick Reply: ES300: Replacing Cluster Backlighting Bulbs