ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2nd Generation (92-96) ES300 Suspension Reference

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-07, 10:23 AM
TrackMonky
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdelement
well if you are even considering ksports. goto the classifieds i have a full set i need to get rid of ASAP.

the ksports are perfect in regards to height adjustment. But on colorado roads(full of bad pot holes) they did blow the rear shock cartridges. but are easily replaced.
o well ya im just buying the springs if anything...im just trying to get a nicer look thats it....i have a friend with a camry maybe he might want it....just tell me the price....
Old 06-23-07, 10:00 PM
Lexcited
Driver School Candidate

Default secocond gen lex es300

hey all you 2nd gen fans.... i need some advice i want to redo the suspension on my 93 es 300 ... its most deffinately about that time! i live in the bronx and the roads are relentless so i dont want to do any lowering ... is there any one out that can give me some good recomendations in putting together a new suspension system... feel free to send private messages as well thanks alot really appreciateyou guys taking you time to help out.... you guys are the best!!!
Old 06-29-07, 08:16 AM
Toronto
Driver School Candidate

Truly wonderful of Sloooow to seed this thread.

I've tried to learn from preceding posts and threads and done due diligence but still pretty vague about suspension things for my 1995 ES300. it is basically the family bus.

For serious sport, I've been a biker the last 46 seasons... BMW R1100S, an 1100 cc twin, about .12 HP/lb compared to ES300 at maybe .06 HP/lb.

But hard for me to tolerate the degree of sway on cornering. So, for small bucks, I'd like to firm up the handling a bit.

1. Will ANY suspension component that fits a Camry LE V6 1995 fit my ES300?

2. Does it make design sense (and modest cost) to upgrade (1) the rear sway bar, and (2) the rubber bits for the rear and front sway bars?

3. Is the Whiteline BTR36 the only (or the favored) sway bar?

Many thanks. Astonishing how much better life is with help on the Internet!
Old 06-29-07, 09:15 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Toronto
Truly wonderful of Sloooow to seed this thread.
Glad to be of service to my Lex-brethren!

1. Will ANY suspension component that fits a Camry LE V6 1995 fit my ES300?
Yes. The ES and the Camry are one. (Which is why I also happen to spend a lot of time browsing ToyotaNation.com's "Gen 3 & 4" Camry forum in tandem with this site). Match your ES's year/generation to the same year/generation Camry and you have a bevy of parts.

2. Does it make design sense (and modest cost) to upgrade (1) the rear sway bar, and (2) the rubber bits for the rear and front sway bars?
(1) Having done this now I can vouch that it makes great sense to upgrade the rear sway bar (RSB).
(2) You might as well replace the bushings while you're at it. One, they likely are quite aged and need replacement. Two, the aftermarket bushings are oftentimes (not always) made up of superior materials compared to the OEMs.

3. Is the Whiteline BTR36 the only (or the favored) sway bar?
In my research for a 2nd gen ES RSB, I could find no other provider. If you find others, purchase them and find them to be of recommendable quality, please post up here and I'll update the list.

In contrast, there are front strut tower brace (STB) providers all over the place, especially eBay, where you can find them as low as $20. There are all kinds of debates about the functionality and quality-of-materials of these versus "name brands" but no one's provided any lab-testing to prove/disprove their side to-date. "Caveat emptor" in that area! (I went with Whiteline because I got an excellent price from a vendor over on TN.com, plus, I wanted a company I could call and get support from should there be any issues, plus Whiteline's a proven, known suspension company.)

Welcome to the forum and let us know if there is anything else we can help you with. I'll step back now and let any gurus jump in with anything I missed.
Old 07-02-07, 06:47 AM
Toronto
Driver School Candidate

Slooooooow - a million thanks. Hope I spelled your name right.

Comic relief: about to dip the front bumper in hydrochloric acid to unclog the headlight spritzers when i discovered they only work when the headlights are on. Yeah, they work when the headlights are on just fine (and messy). Lexus.... i shudda knowed.
Old 07-04-07, 07:19 PM
AdvanSC300
Rookie

I wonder why Eibach has two different part numbers for the 92-96 ES300
(8235.140) and the 92-96 Camry sedan (8226.140),I just hope they fit properly,becuase I just ordered some 92-96 Camry Eibach springs for my 96 ES300....
Old 07-05-07, 07:32 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Originally Posted by AdvanSC300
I wonder why Eibach has two different part numbers for the 92-96 ES300
(8235.140) and the 92-96 Camry sedan (8226.140),I just hope they fit properly,becuase I just ordered some 92-96 Camry Eibach springs for my 96 ES300....
Make sure and let us know the result? And I'll update/modify the parts listing as is appropriate.

That's how this list came to be and works. Through the blood, sweat and tears of 2nd Gen owners' experiences.
Old 07-10-07, 02:00 PM
AdvanSC300
Rookie

Well the Eibach springs (8226.140)for a 92-96 camry worked on my ES300,the ride quality,and handling is great,but when I was installing them it seems like the front springs were having a hard time fiting inside the Sturt properly,so I took my "dead blow" hammer and I made them fit,I used OEM spec KYB struts...

Note!Don't use a regular hammer,if you have the same trouble fitting these springs on your sturts..

Last edited by AdvanSC300; 07-10-07 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-22-07, 03:45 PM
girlswin2
Driver School Candidate

help please, which one would you purchase out of these 3 different struts? I'm putting them on my 92 es300, thanks........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...9709&rd=1&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3230&rd=1&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...4678&rd=1&rd=1
Old 07-22-07, 06:45 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by girlswin2
help please, which one would you purchase out of these 3 different struts? I'm putting them on my 92 es300, thanks........

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...9709&rd=1&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3230&rd=1&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...4678&rd=1&rd=1
None of these are a bad choice.
In (very short)summation, based on the data I've collected:
  1. Tokico - stiffer, sharper, "more harsh," "more sporty"
  2. Bilstein - not a lot of data on these for the 2nd generation. Well-established company though.
  3. KYB GR-2 - "the closest to stock," many reports of ride improvement without harshness, many raves/few rants on this site and others.
I hope that helps in some way. I tried not to inundate you with details. If you want to know more, feel free to PM or post here. Good luck!
Old 07-22-07, 07:01 PM
girlswin2
Driver School Candidate

thankyou very much I appreciate your info sir........
Old 08-06-07, 07:19 PM
girlswin2
Driver School Candidate

I purchased some drop zone 1.8" lowering springs for my 92 es300 off ebay. Had them put on today, and when I went to pick the car up I wanted to cry. The rear wheel was tucked into the wheel well, can't even see the top of the tire.. The entire car is slammed to the ground. I hate it! It looks more like a 5.8 " drop! all I wanted to do was eliminate the huge gap in the wheel well, now I eliminated the gap and half the tires also I just want a simple drop..... HELP PLEASE.... Point me to the right springs.................. for some reason my tranny felt funny when i hit the gas a little hard, does this have anything to do with the springs?

Last edited by girlswin2; 08-06-07 at 07:23 PM.
Old 08-06-07, 08:23 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i went the eibachs. and once they settled they are perfect.
Old 08-07-07, 01:19 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Question

Does your car now look somewhat like this one in the rear (and front?)?

Originally Posted by girlswin2
I purchased some drop zone 1.8" lowering springs for my 92 es300 off ebay. Had them put on today, and when I went to pick the car up I wanted to cry. The rear wheel was tucked into the wheel well, can't even see the top of the tire.. The entire car is slammed to the ground. I hate it! It looks more like a 5.8 " drop! all I wanted to do was eliminate the huge gap in the wheel well, now I eliminated the gap and half the tires also I just want a simple drop..... HELP PLEASE.... Point me to the right springs.................. for some reason my tranny felt funny when i hit the gas a little hard, does this have anything to do with the springs?
Old 08-07-07, 06:56 PM
girlswin2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
Does your car now look somewhat like this one in the rear (and front?)?

lol, yes they look exactly like that. The rear seems lower than the front. It's on the stock rims and tires, and I feel a vibration around 40mph. I believe they are rubbing.

Quick Reply: 2nd Generation (92-96) ES300 Suspension Reference