ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2nd Generation (92-96) ES300 Suspension Reference

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-07, 04:50 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

54682-2_1065 - H&R Sport Spring (Toyota Camry 6CYL 1992-1996) - $230.30
I found these on ebay for $135 shipped...and they are supposed to be genuine. Still considering if i will buy them or not...
How much is installation usually? and do i need to buy anything else besides the springs?
Also, what are the differences between some of the generic springs compared to the brand name ones, since the car already has 210k miles and i don't really want to spend too much $$ on it.
Old 05-02-07, 04:57 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default cost of current installation

here are my recent purchases

CAMRY-LEXUS ES300 SHOCK STRUT MOUNTS REAR 92-63-94-95-96
$69.88

CAMRY-LEXUS ES300 REAR STRUT MOUNT FRONT 92-93-94-95-96
$99.69

EIBACH PRO-KIT TOYOTA CAMRY (96-03)
$235.00

TOKICO HP SHOCKS STRUTS TOYOTA CAMRY 94 - 96
$349.00

now because i didnt have the original or normal strut spring currently installed i had to spend $221 directly from lexus for the top and bottom spring mounts(perches, insulators) whatever you wanna call them

local shop was going to charge $580+alignment. but i talked them down to $384+60 alignment.

*someone send me an offer on the currently ksports i have. offer somethin

Last edited by 3rdelement; 05-02-07 at 04:57 PM. Reason: front and rear addition to discription
Old 05-11-07, 02:45 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Question

Originally Posted by iDrive
So I decided to go with a B&G springs a month ago. It's been that long and still no springs. Every week they keep telling me a new ship date and again a new ship date. Anyone know where I can at least get my springs within 2 weeks without having to pay a ridiculous amount for shipping?
From which site/store did you order them?
Have you received any ETA yet?

I'm about to begin looking for alternatives to my Whiteline group buy order, as I'm furstrated on the wait as well.
Old 05-12-07, 07:55 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Question

As stated in the suspension thread specific to my car, I'm totally frustrated waiting on the Whiteline springs and have been shopping for something available right here, right now.

Now this item on eBay is a curiosity. It's item 170109579902.

Model(s): Lexus...
Choose adjustment option:
1) IS 300 -- Apr.1999 - 2005 -- 1.8" drop
2)
ES 300 -- 2002 - 2004 -- 1.7" drop
3)
ES 300 -- 1997 - 2001 -- 1.5" drop
4)
ES 300 -- 1992 - 1996 -- 1.7" drop
That's a decent drop.
Does anyone have any experience with this vendor/manufacturer?

Still searching eBay. I'll post anything else I find...
Old 05-12-07, 07:58 AM
iDrive
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my friends & I have bought 3 sets of rims from TireRack. I'm also about to buy another set from them. They have always been exceptionally fast when it came to ordering rims. I found out this morning they also sell suspension. Not sure how fast they'll bring springs in, but I'll probably buy it frm them and I'll tell u how quick they are when I get em.
Old 05-12-07, 08:54 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Question

Originally Posted by iDrive
Well my friends & I have bought 3 sets of rims from TireRack. I'm also about to buy another set from them. They have always been exceptionally fast when it came to ordering rims. I found out this morning they also sell suspension. Not sure how fast they'll bring springs in, but I'll probably buy it frm them and I'll tell u how quick they are when I get em.
Which brands do they offer and which one are you thinking of getting?
Old 05-12-07, 09:52 AM
iDrive
Rookie

Well since there weren't any options under Lexus ES300 '96, I checked under 1996 Toyota Camry LE V6 which should be the same thing right? Well if so, they're selling H&R Sport Spring Set (Avg Low 1.3"F 1.25"R) and Eibach Pro-Kit Spring Set (Avg Low 1.0"F 1.0"R ). I'm not real sure which one i want but they both have gotten great reviews.
Old 05-13-07, 01:07 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Just as I was about to pull the trigger on some H&Rs from TireRack.com (they look GREAT on KyleOk's car that I found on a search), I came across these on Shox.com:

Suspension Techniques
60375 – Sporttech Lowering Springs – Part # 60375 (Toyota Camry 92-96 V6 exc. wagon) – Drop Fr./Rear 1.4”/1.4”

$213.43 (http://www.shox.com)

A 1.4" drop is closer to the 1.5" I was hoping for from the Whitelines! Anyone ever used/know of Suspension Techniques? I added this to the reference above.

The H&Rs are still a better value while on sale at $140 for only a tenth of an inch less drop though. Hmmmm...
Old 05-13-07, 01:19 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Exclamation

Just found an OOOOOLD post, but with GREAT advice, while we're considering our suspension upgrades and overhauls:

Originally Posted by Keith13b
For obvious reasons; the springs are stiffer. So they will tear apart a set of stock struts.

I had a friend (with an RX-7) that put a front coil over adaptor kit onto his factory struts and dropped in #400 front springs. Needless to say the struts didn't last one autocross. He blew them both out within two runs!

Always upgrade the springs/struts as a set. Kinda like spark plugs; do one - do 'em all!!

Keith

P.S. For those that don't understand; the stronger spring will simply pull the strut back a lot quicker than a softer spring, so its that violent return to expanded state that ruptures seals and what not. The strut needs to be able to handle the spring weight when it returns. In racing applications, springs an struts are sold in weight ranges.
Originally Posted by Keith13b
The stiffer springs can travel the same distance, they are merely stronger, so, under exact conditions, they compress and re-rebound at a much quicker rate (hence the harsher ride). Remember it simply takes more energy to compress a stiffer spring, but they will still travel the same distance. I think you might be confusing energy absorbtion of the strut and spring compression. If your spring rate doesn't match your dampener (strut) rate, then you have an unstable suspension. The dampening rate needs to match the spring weight so both can function together as a whole. One will take the initial blow (spring), the other brings everything back to normal at a controled rate (strut). If they don't match, then you're in for one hell of a harsh ride because you are not dampening the car with both the shock and the spring. Both elements are key. Your spring is trying to work within its parameters, and the strut is doing something totally diferent. If the strut can't balance it out, you have an unsafe, unbalanced, bumpy ride.

Example: If you are making many hard left and right hand turns consecutively, you can slowly jack down the cars suspension down because the dampening system can not correct itself in time for the next turn. A few turns later, you have jacked down and compressed the dampening system (struts/springs) and you are riding on bumpstops. Now, the next turn or bump you encounter, you will have no suspension travel and you will most likely lose control of your vehicle.

Stiffer springs and stronger struts will prevent this from occuring. If you get a matched pair, you will have considerably better handeling, with a slight loss of ride smoothness. Mismatch the dampening system and you could knock your molars out! Many people don't research their suspension. They just want to lower their car, so they get sport springs without understanding how everything works together. They don't realize that the whole system needs to be adjusted, not just the springs.

For every day use....it really doesn't matter. Its mainy for hi performance, spirited driving; or if you like to race. I would never change just the springs and leave the stock struts then then try to haul @ss on an on ramp. Thats asking for disaster. The car would most likely handle better with the stock suspension.

If you're going to do it, do it right. Change out springs and struts and your ride won't be so bad. It will still be considerably stiffer than stock, but nothing out of reason.

Hope this helps,
Keith
Old 05-15-07, 05:46 PM
iDrive
Rookie

Originally Posted by 3rdelement
received my eibachs(being installed today with all the other parts) in about 5 days. gotta check ebay...and find out if they are close to you.
PIC OR BAN! lol..
Old 05-17-07, 07:54 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

I've decided I'm going to lower the car this summer, and initially thought all i would need to pay for are the H&R springs and labor...about $200
After reading about how you need to upgrade the struts to match the springs or else the handling/road feel would be horrible.
How much would replacing the struts/installation be? and are there any recommendations for some relatively inexpensive struts (I'm only lowering the car 1.3 inches).
Old 05-18-07, 07:22 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by tuan92129
I've decided I'm going to lower the car this summer, and initially thought all i would need to pay for are the H&R springs and labor...about $200
After reading about how you need to upgrade the struts to match the springs or else the handling/road feel would be horrible.
How much would replacing the struts/installation be? and are there any recommendations for some relatively inexpensive struts (I'm only lowering the car 1.3 inches).

Good to see you're joining iDrive, 3rd Element and me in the obsession!
I picked up the KYB struts with the following prices/data:

KYB

Vendor: PerformanceCenter.com
  • 334131 KYB Front Right GR-2 Twin-Tube $68.28
  • 334132 KYB Front Left GR-2 Twin-Tube $68.28
  • 334133 KYB Rear Right GR-2 Twin-Tube $57.02
  • 334134 KYB Rear Left GR-2 Twin-Tube $57.02
    • Subtotal $250.60
I need new strut mounts and went ahead and picked up new dust boots:
Toyota(alternative: KYB strut mounts - my installer recommends Toyota)
Vendor: Carson Toyota
  • Strut mounts $160
  • Dust boots $30
My installer quoted $350 for the installation of the shocks and springs and said the strut bar and RSB could be easily thrown on while installing struts/springs.

I'm doing a whole suspension overhaul and upgrade for approximately $800-850 in parts and $350 in labor, which I think is totally reasonable. My last box will arrive this week and the install will take place on Monday.

While I set this thread to be about the vendors, parts and prices, I have a thread about my own suspension upgrade experience and parts here.
Old 05-18-07, 07:54 AM
E-Z ES300
Lead Lap

HECK OF A HELPFUL PAGE!! Thanks alot!!
Old 06-11-07, 02:03 AM
TrackMonky
Driver

Originally Posted by rjsix
has anyone tried the ksport springs?
my friend had it on his sentra SER they felt ok...not to bouncy it was for looks THATS...but he upgraded to ksport coilovers which they do feel good......but there known to blow out!!! thinking of gettin the ksport springs in a month or so if i see any good reviews on it for the ES.....
Old 06-11-07, 10:18 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well if you are even considering ksports. goto the classifieds i have a full set i need to get rid of ASAP.

the ksports are perfect in regards to height adjustment. But on colorado roads(full of bad pot holes) they did blow the rear shock cartridges. but are easily replaced.

Quick Reply: 2nd Generation (92-96) ES300 Suspension Reference