ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1st Serious Mod Time - Suspension Rennovation

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-07, 12:47 PM
Two bit
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uhm, you have picturs of your setup, but not your car dropped.
Old 05-24-07, 01:31 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by Two bit
Uhm, you have picturs of your setup, but not your car dropped.

Explained in detail on the page with pictures.
They're comin', they're comin'...
Yeah, I wish I could get them this afternoon, but my camera gets pissed when I use it out in a thunderstorm. Don't know if y'all have heard about it or not, but the season transition weather in Texas is a real a$$-kicker.

And storms are forecast all the way through Monday.

Last edited by Slooooooow; 05-24-07 at 01:39 PM.
Old 05-26-07, 08:53 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Thumbs up Driving Impressions

Impression:
Having only a 10-minute commute, I've not really had the opportunity to get the car out and work it to determine my impressions of the new suspension system.

Tonight I volunteered for a honey-do that took me 23 miles down and back up the Dallas North Tollway. For you non-Dallas folks, it's a rich man's autobahn on which some of us regular folks occasionally sneak. The top half is nice and curvy with more sweepers than hairpins, but it's fun when taken at higher speeds. The south end is fairly straight with ups and downs over hills.

The north end experience was invigorating! This car can actually handle when properly suspended. It's not my Mini Cooper S, but it could play ball with it in the same yard. I was actually carving up the tollway, much as I used to in my Cooper! Nice, nice, nice. A Dodge pickup and an Infiniti decided to try and match my pace on the curves as I came back north and the truck nearly scrapped the walls a couple of times and went into the center lane once. I'll hand it to him though, he didn't flip it, and at least he tried to play; the Infiniti backed down after finding too much lean on the first couple of good curves. This type of cat-and-mouse and gamesmanship happens very frequently on the Tollway because there are lots of pretty, exotic, extremely expensive and extremely capable rich boy toys on it regularly.

The southern end was fairly uneventful as it's quite straight, but it did give me time to appreciate how I feel as if I'm sitting much more between the four wheels instead of on top of them. The feel of the road is much improved, and I'm not sure why. I would've thought I'd have to modify the steering system in some way to affect the road feel, but it's a welcome result regardless.

All in all I highly recommend the equipment I've purchased.
I also more strongly recommend pursuing any suspension modifications to this vehicle - just do it! It really changes its demeanor for the better - even if you're not auto-crossing it. Backroads trips can quickly become your preference.
Two thumbs up thus far.

Cons:
  • Front suspension "crashing" (over larger road bums, e.g. bad
    railroad crossings)
    • Already mentioned on my installation webpage. Should be remedied with the application of new bushings next week.
  • Tire rub moments:
    • I did experience two episodes of brief (as long as it takes you to say "blip") tire rubbing on the front end as I came up and over whoop-de-doos in the road. I'm going to chat with Jason (JPI) about this and see if the new bushings will help with this, or if I'm in for some fender well rolling.
Pros:
  • Improved cornering capability
  • Improved road feel
  • Complete absence of the front strut mount popping noise
  • Decreased Noise/Vibration/Harshness
  • Greatly diminished fender-to-tire gap
Thanks for stopping by. I'll update you after next week's additional work and fine tuning.

Last edited by Slooooooow; 05-26-07 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-28-07, 06:05 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

The install, before/after pictures (including exterior pics of the car) are FINALLY online here! Please let me know what you think. ( )

I feel the difference is dramatic - aesthetically as well as performance-wise.

We finally got a little break in the rain where I could go snap some shots!
Now, back to building an ark...
Old 05-28-07, 06:12 PM
HYPERBOY
Lexus Test Driver

very very nice!!! looks great!!!!
Old 05-29-07, 08:53 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by HYPERBOY
very very nice!!! looks great!!!!
Many thanks, HB! Nice to hear someone besides me likes the way it looks.

On an update note, this morning, JPI installed my new bushings. I wasn't hating the ride as it was - it was kinda of a "race car" raw - and now it's even better - more civilized. It rides more now like a "nicely tuned performance suspension," a ride my wife won't despise when she drives it. In fact, being lucky enough to have a wife who enjoys performance suspensions/handling, I know she's going to like it as much as I do. (Y'all should see her autocross!) The "crashing" of the suspension over sizeable road bumps is now gone! Woot!

I consider this suspension project "done" and I'll be moving onto the next project - getting a better-sounding, better-performing exhaust that can pass August's inspection.

Major props again to DFW's JP Importz for providing the best bid for doing the work, and for doing work that is not common (since not many upgrade their ESs) and doing it well. Jason and his folks are a pleasure to deal with.

Feel free to hit me with any questions about this effort, and please continue to post comments/suggestions, etc. Then go do it on your ES!
Old 05-29-07, 09:23 AM
MCG33
Pole Position

Nice! Everything turned out looking good. Maybe by next summer I can get started on my suspension for the ES. This will all help a lot when deciding on what parts to go with. Thanks! The drop looks great already as well, can't wait to see once the springs settle a bit more. The handling must be amazing now too.. I couldn't believe the difference my car had just going with bigger wheels and tires (225/45/17). Also how much did the bushings set you back? Did you replace them all?
Old 05-29-07, 10:09 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by MCG33
I couldn't believe the difference my car had just going with bigger wheels and tires (225/45/17).
Yeah I was amazed as well by the difference made by the new wheels and tires! They should improve braking distances substantially as well. I wish I'd tested the braking distances before the change so that I had exact test data to reflect the inevitable improvement.

Originally Posted by MCG33
Also how much did the bushings set you back? Did you replace them all?
The Whiteline RSB included bushings in the kit for the rear, so they were included in the cost of the RSB.

I happened to be in the right place at the right time for the front bushings. JPI happened to have exactly the ones I needed sitting around at the shop and so he just installed them on there for me. Good for me; bad for providing a cost estimate for you. Apologies for that.

Old 05-29-07, 10:33 AM
whitebread
Driver School Candidate

look's good, has she settled much more since the pics? looking foward to new rims myself!
Old 05-29-07, 10:43 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Originally Posted by whitebread
look's good, has she settled much more since the pics? looking foward to new rims myself!
Yes. There wasn't a lot of initial settling, and I wasn't driving her much for fear of the crashing suspension and blowing a shock. JPI advised me to baby her until I got the bushings installed and I did. The drive I mentioned above on the Tollway (which is reliably smooth as a road gets around here) really helped settle her down some.

Now that the bushings are on and there's no fear of a blown shock, I'll be driving her around a LOT and I expect the settling-in process to progress nicely.

Last edited by Slooooooow; 05-31-07 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-30-07, 08:51 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
It's more fun to have your cake and eat it too! You really should pick up an LGT and have fun here like we do here at ClubLexus.

This is what my next suspension purchases will center on. 'Cept I autocross this one, so it'll be getting a full coilover system.

That's why I'll be SO glad once this ES suspension is in and done with. I can start saving up for the LGT suspension and the ES exhaust.

The problem is, you'll eventually really miss the ES. It's hard to explain but the wife and I both get in moods to drive one car one day and the other the next day. The LGT fits the mood for moving through traffic like Neo moves through the Matrix - everyone else is in slow motion and you can dance around bullets. The ES fits the mood to lean back and cruise.

One of the car mags described the LGT's sunroof as "enormous," but the ES's is larger and gives a really nice open air motoring experience by contrast.

Maniax, the only comfort I can give you is that at least you won't have to replace those newly replaced parts for a loooong while. And most parts are cheaper than a year's worth of payments. Does that help?
I don't know. My mother keeps telling me to sell my car. She tells me that my car is old and i can only patch it up, it will never run like a new car. I'm starting to believe it. You can only do so much to hide the fact that your car is aging.

I'm definitely getting the LGT as my next car. On legacygt.com, they're saying with stage 2 mods, the LGT can easily smoke a 350z!

How's the suspension on the LGT compare to the one on the ES? I hear alot of reviews saying the LGT suspension is too soft but I think it wont seem soft to me since i'm used to driving camry's and lexus'
Old 05-30-07, 08:52 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

Get a GS400.
Old 05-30-07, 08:56 PM
maniax
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Slooooooow
Yes. There wasn't a lot of initial settling, and I wasn't driving her much for fear of the crashing suspension and blowing a shock. JPI advised me to baby her until I got the bushings installed and I did. The drive I mentioned above on the Tollway (which is reliably smooth as a road gets around here) really helped settle her down some.

Now that the bushings are on and there's no fear of a blown shock, I'll be driving her around a LOT and I expect the settling-in process to progress nicely.
GJ on the install. I wish i can lower my car but living in nyc it's really a chore.
Old 05-31-07, 09:34 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Originally Posted by maniax
I don't know. My mother keeps telling me to sell my car. She tells me that my car is old and i can only patch it up, it will never run like a new car. I'm starting to believe it. You can only do so much to hide the fact that your car is aging.
You never want your car hobby to feel like the guy pushing a stone in Dante's Inferno. It should be something you enjoy. It is the natural state of everything on the planet to go from new, clean and orderly to old, dirty and falling-apart. I happen to enjoy retarding that process with my cars. I attempt to retard the same process with my home, but it's more of a chore than an enjoyable hobby. I still contend that you'll miss the car more than you'll enjoy not having it.

These modifications and upgrades are a FUN way to make something "new" again, or at least a little different than what you're used to, and now take for granted.

I'm definitely getting the LGT as my next car. On legacygt.com, they're saying with stage 2 mods, the LGT can easily smoke a 350z!
Mine is a Stage 1 and I've accomplished the same thing, although not to the degree I'd call it "smoked." I have no doubts that the Stage 2 can smoke a majority of vehicles on the road. Even in stock form, were it your goal to find out, you'd be SHOCKED at just how many "sports cars" out there you can "smoke" or at least stay well ahead of.

There is no look like expressions of utter disbelief when folks see a Camry-looking 4-door family sedan ahead of them, or when they're unable to "take" them in a sprint to the onramp or lane-merge. Patti Maki noted such fun in Car&Driver when they long-term tested an LGT.

Originally Posted by Patti Maki, Car & Driver Editor
People who don’t know this engine see a powerless four-door sedan. Woe to the 4.9-liter Mustang driver who thought he’d overtake me!
How's the suspension on the LGT compare to the one on the ES? I hear alot of reviews saying the LGT suspension is too soft but I think it wont seem soft to me since i'm used to driving camry's and lexus'
Quite frankly the LGT suspension pisses me off. It's probably my least favorite thing about the vehicle. Now that I have this wonderful suspension system on the ES300, I like it even less. With everything this car does well, and with this unbelievable engine, this suspension is a poor attempt by Subaru. I believe it was their attempt to placate the masses, but I also believe it's too bouncy for enthusiasts and for the proletariat Sunday drivers.

Yes, I went with the Stage I mods first, because they're relatively cheap and easy to do, but the suspension will be the next mod for my LGT. In the meanwhile, the ES300 will be the vehicle of choice for taking on the backroad twisties!

Last edited by Slooooooow; 05-31-07 at 09:46 AM.
Old 06-02-07, 08:10 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Thumbs up

Update: The suspension is still doing well; better every day, in fact. It's settling in nicely, becoming smoother and less noisy. I'm glad I went with the KYB GR-2s. Just enough sporty road feel, but just enough smoothness not to jar the kidneys.

The fam and I went out for a night cruise with the windows down and the sunroof open. It was awesome.

Last edited by Slooooooow; 09-18-07 at 05:00 PM.

Quick Reply: 1st Serious Mod Time - Suspension Rennovation