ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Is Lexus Heading Down?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-01, 12:35 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread has been TROLLED , courtesy of Skinny and BimmerLexus. Thanks a lot!

Oh, BimmerLexus: I'm sure your WASTED '87 535I'm-a-piece-of-Sh*t is better than the "GS twins." Yeah, your 540i can really wax a GS4 or GS43. So I guess you have lots of room to talk. Who has better brakes? And yes, that 20 foot gap makes a big difference when you're trying to stop in a hurry from high speed. So you just might need all those airbags because of BMW's inferior brakes.

I, too, notice a trend...It's all of the HATERS here. I mean DANG, just take those Lexi that you have to the BMW dealer, trade them in, and buy one of thier little Z-scooters or whatever. I absolutely CANNOT STAND BMW-lovers that come to this board and hate on Lexus, and then use the excuse "I own a Lexus, so I can..."

You have NEVER contributed to this forum in a positive manner BimmerLexus, so why don't you just take a permanent trip over the the BMW forums on Yahoo! or somewhere else. There are many of your kind over there. I think you would fit in nicely.

By the way, check out the link at the bottom of my sig if you haven't already (make sure to have your sound up)...

I think I speak for a lot of CL members with this post...
Old 11-07-01, 01:27 PM
Skinny
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wantanewlexus,

Nice! Your link just shows how immature and old you are.

BimmerLexus,

Maybe you got a Lemon of a SC400. Overall, the SC430 is a much more reliable car than any BMW model. And it is more reliable than any benz also.

Getting a Lemon is part of the risk you take with buying any car. stop complaining.

Check out ES300 sales for October of this year. 5726 units. Acura 3.2TL sales for Oct-01: 5,793. Not bad for a car that costs about $5,000 more, and with only 1 trim level vs. 2 for the 3.2TL.

and about Acura MDX sales. Acura sold 3,462 in Oct-01 & 33,000 from Jan-01 thru Oct-01.

Lexus sold 6,228 RX300's last month and have sold 63,156 from Jan-01 thru Oct-01.

ANd overall, Lexus has sold 182K cars/SUVs this year while Benz has sold $168K. So obviously, Lexus is doing alot right. And that is with much LESS product to sell. Lexus has a total of 8 different models and only 7 platforms. Benz has 8 platforms and about 25 different models. And they still sell less cars.

And total 7-series sales for Oct-01 were 1100, LS430 were 2300, S-class were 2,400. Mathematics is the key to figuring all this out.

Much hasn't changed since 1990 at Lexus? Then why the hell do you own a 2001 IS300 and 1993 SC400? Why pay $35K for a outdated, 10-year old technology IS300 or $50K for a SC400 if the technology is old school?
Old 11-07-01, 01:28 PM
Skinny
Driver

wantanewlex,

I created the topic. If you don't like the topic, don't enter.

click on your own link attached to your email and read what it says!
Old 11-07-01, 01:42 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

*Slap, slap, slap* What's that sound? Hmmmm...It sounds like Skinny's gums flapping! Wow, you're wise for your 42 years of age! Just kidding!!! The reason my posts are so strong is because I love Lexus with a mad passion. This is a Lexus forum to discuss Lexus in a constructive manner. This is not a place to come and criticize Lexus and whine about things you don't like. Especially in BimmerLexus's case, this is not a place to come and tell us about how good BMW is. We don't care. Skinny, I'm sorry, I really am, it's just that sometimes I get carried away with my defense of Lexus. I'm in the chat right now if you would like to join me.

Oh, yeah, I did click my link. I find it pretty amusing, actually.
Old 11-08-01, 07:13 AM
Skinny
Driver

WantanewLex,

I find your link pretty amusing also!

Criticism is constructive also. If nobody criticizes products, then products would never improve. Criticism is a necessity.

I find no reason why I shouldn't criticize a carmaker who profits off me. That's not to say I overly criticize a carmaker like Lexus. But I feel it is my right to criticize when I see fit, otherwise I would never see a Better and improved Lexus product.
Old 11-08-01, 04:29 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!

Man! I bought my first gen LS400 mostly for its looks. I mean I may find other cars that look nice to you, ugly. Its all about the prefferences so dont knock on the car for its styling because to many other people they look amazing.

Lexus has been out there for about 12 years and it has overcome the reliability and a few other things of MB and BMW. Not bad for 12 years?
Old 11-09-01, 07:45 AM
Skinny
Driver

Who said Ugly is your car?

I just said the first generation and now the 3rd generation LS's clearly have derivative styling. And that derivation is from the S-class of the late 80s and the in the case of the 3rd gen. LS430, derivative of the early 90s to 98 S-class.

The first generation LS400 was definately not ugly(Did I say that?-No), but it had many styling cues which conjured up memories of a Benz S-class. The headlights and fog light cluster on the 1st gen. LS400 looks very similar to a 90 Benz S-class light/fog light cluster.

The rear tailights were also similar with the wide tailights and Lexus' rendition of the Mercedes finned tailights with Lexus own spin on it with 3 horizontal bars.
Old 11-10-01, 09:13 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree with Skinny 100%(read what he is saying NOT what your heart is saying)... As a Lexus fan myself I am NOT HAPPY with the new styling direction of Lexus.

To be honest IMO M-Benz look better than Lexus cars NOW!!

***As SickLex stated, if it was not for Lexus they would still be blocks! Now Lexus MUST come out with a homerun hitting design to set us apart...

I know, I know, I know we have the best realiabilty, maintenace etc.. But, if the AZTEC was a Lexus would you buy it? Looks matter to me also...

The ES 2002 is a step back IMO compared to the last generation. It is no longer the "BEAUTIFUL" car it was... It is no longer the cream of the crop, or is it strong(hp) enough in it's class... I'm sure it will sell a lot of cars, so does the ugly Impala and Taurus(does it make it a great car?)...

The LS has potential, but it is BITING the old S-Benz in styling...

The IS3 and the SC430 well Skinny hit it dead on the head!!! Maybe with the next year the kinks will be worked out...

***I think we have great cars at Lexus, but with greatness comes GREAT expectations too...

As far as opinions, every one can express his/her own without being a "troll" or "hater" in a "FORUM" we are all mature adults right?

The next 2 years will tell the story...

The Ikon
Old 11-10-01, 02:42 PM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think Lexus was competing with S class from the very first LS400 they have produced. I remember S class in early to mid 90's (my dad had 2) and LS400 is overall much better then any of those two cars.

The new Lexys styling is not my cup of tea. Neither the new BMW styling. It looks like there is this need to change something that is already great and companies get messed up designes which are not better, but different.
Old 11-11-01, 04:21 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

and don't forget about the starters on the 97 ES that caught fire), performance and Luxury.
bimmerlexus

that's not ture i had a 97 es got it brand new i didn't get the that recall notice in the past 5 years?? where did you get the info can you please share?? do you also own a ES what happen to it?? i notice you got a new e39 540 and i have previouly own 2 e39's both 528ia and 540/6 and if you think it is going to be problem free go read bimmer.org more often and good luck.

I admit Lexus is a great company, and they build a great car, but they haven't advanced that much since 90, while everyone else has...in design, quality
actually they did a great job in the interior. the 01 LS is way better than 94 LS and i think 01 LS has more comfortable seat than 01 S class. look, lexus is for older buyer and do you think grandma and grandpa care about styling and performance? if i'm like 65 i would perfer a car that is quite and comfort. Probably not a go cart like 5 series spp...

Last edited by splitfire; 11-11-01 at 04:37 AM.
Old 11-11-01, 07:02 AM
LexxxLuther
Driver School Candidate

Lexus isn't going downhill, they seem to be plateauing. (If that's a word.)
I think at the same time, BMW is getting stronger (X5, consistent marketing) and Mercedes is chasing more volume with compelling product. (M-Class, C-class)

As for the original stablemates, Acura and Infiniti. Acura is not really in the race. Yes, the MDX is killer, but they might as well have launched the MDX brand. I see no connection btwn the MDX the RSX and the TL or RL.

Infiniti seems to be rising from the dead. The Q45 is damn nice. And the I30/35 seems to be extremely popular. I also think the new G35 looks like a way more serious car than the the IS-300.

Which brings me back to Lexus. The IS-300 is a disaster. From the way it looks to the way it's advertised from everything I see. Is this car really a Lexus? And what's with the $399 a month deals? Lexus never had to resort to the "fire-sale" deal-making. (Except for the original GS -- a disaster in its own right.)

The new ES looks promising. I hope they get their swing back.
Old 11-11-01, 08:16 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally posted by retrodrive
I think Lexus was competing with S class from the very first LS400 they have produced. I remember S class in early to mid 90's (my dad had 2) and LS400 is overall much better then any of those two cars.

The new Lexys styling is not my cup of tea. Neither the new BMW styling. It looks like there is this need to change something that is already great and companies get messed up designes which are not better, but different.
Nope, Retro... 1SickLex is right about the market of the LS4 in the begining. The car was competing with the E-class, 5 Series, and STS Cadillac. The LS4 was sooooooooooooooooooooo damn GREAT that is was killing the mid-level sedans and it just jumped straight to the top and kicked the S-Class, 7 Series(until '95) and Jag XJ6/8 *** too...

Hey Lex, I like the 1st GS3, it was sleek and down right beautiful!!! It was not a terror in the fast lane at 145 mph like the GS4, but it was a work of art to many...
Old 11-14-01, 05:39 AM
Skinny
Driver

The original, 1990 to 1994 LS400, slotted midway between the E-class Benzer and S-class. Of course in 1993, when the GS300 came about, the Ls400 would be more of a competitor to the S-class as the GS300 sized up nearly perfectly with the 300E/E320.

When the LS400 came out it was larger than a E-class by a wide margin and outpowered the E-class also. As well as had more features.