ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Moving CD changer from trunk to front, possible??

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-01, 05:03 PM
spinedoc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys.

I have a 94 ES, was just wondering if anyone has tried to move the 6 disc changer from the trunk to anywhere in the front. Im not sure where yet, maybe under the front seat, or in the back. Anywhere in the cabin is OK, and would be better than the trunk.

Any suggestions?

Thanx
Old 09-12-01, 07:21 PM
Lexpusher96
Driver

I too grew tired of having to go to the trunk to change discs in my 95 ES. So, I moved my disc changer from the trunk location to underneath the front passenger seat facing the rear seat. I pulled all the seating but the driver's seat, and basically extended the wiring harness for the changer. I ran it underneath the carpeting to the changer's new location. I had to modify the casing for the changer so it would mount to the floorboard. The outcome was great, being able to reach the disc changer without moving out of my driver's seat. Hope this helps and good luck!

-Lex
Old 09-13-01, 05:23 AM
spinedoc
Rookie

that sounds awesome. Did the changer fit under the seat no problem? Can you move the seat up and down no problem?

I am assuming you dont use the factory amp anymore, I cant see fitting the changer and the amp under the seat. But that is a perfect solution, I am going to size it up tonight.

How did you extend the wires? was it hard to find the connectors, or did you just snip them and splice an extension in?

Thanks
Old 09-13-01, 05:22 PM
Lexpusher96
Driver

Yes, the changer fit under the passenger seat with no problem. The seat still functions as designed. As for the factory amp, no I don't use it any longer. As a matter of fact, I don't even use the changer any more. I stripped out the entire OEM system and installed an in-dash disc player, replaced all the OEM speakers with aftermarket replacements, and added subs in the trunk along with aftermarket amplifiers. Oh, and about extending the wiring-all I did was cut off the plug that goes into the changer, extend all of the wires to reach under the seat, and re-attach the plug. Plug it in, and enjoy your new changer location! One more thing...don't forget to disconnect your vehicles battery ground connection, just to keep from shorting anything out.