ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Car Grounding: How To:

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-06, 07:43 AM
MoreMGD32
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Grounding: How To:

Whats up guys, i was wonder about making a grounding kit for my 95 ES. I have a bunch of 4ga amplifier wire and about a foot of 0ga. I was curious how to make the grounding kit. Like i said i have the wiring and the terminals but i have no clue what it needs to be connected to. Ill prob end up connecting the 0ga from the ground to the body but after that i have no clue. Do the other wired connect to the engine somewhere? tranny somewhere? atlernator?

What kind of overall gains will i gain from this.......someone told me it should improve the idoling, throttle response and the overall electrical circuitry to the car.

input please,

Brennan
Old 03-03-06, 04:48 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by MoreMGD32
Whats up guys, i was wonder about making a grounding kit for my 95 ES. I have a bunch of 4ga amplifier wire and about a foot of 0ga. I was curious how to make the grounding kit. Like i said i have the wiring and the terminals but i have no clue what it needs to be connected to. Ill prob end up connecting the 0ga from the ground to the body but after that i have no clue. Do the other wired connect to the engine somewhere? tranny somewhere? atlernator?

What kind of overall gains will i gain from this.......someone told me it should improve the idoling, throttle response and the overall electrical circuitry to the car.

input please,

Brennan
I did this in my RX, but some places I just could not even get the bolts off. A few locations: throttle body, engine block, nut and bolt holding the front shocks, transmission.

I have the Sun Hypervoltage Kit and the Sun Hypergrounding Kit. However, previously I made my own system with Monster Cable and several other gauge wires. All of my wires go off of the negative battery terminal.
Old 03-03-06, 11:29 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MoreMGD32

input please,

Brennan
Personally, I used all 0-gauge wire when I did it to my ES. It is referred to as the big three and they are as follows: Battery to chasis, chasis to engine block, engine block to firewall. Dont forget to ground everything to a bare metal surface, dont let the paint get in the way. If you have a meter, check continuity if you are unsure.
Old 03-04-06, 12:09 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

someone told me it should improve the idoling
Crap
throttle response
Crap
and the overall electrical circuitry to the car.
True, to a small extint.
It's going to give you a tiny bit less diming if you're driving a small-medium sized amp.

Basically... It's something everyone with a system should do.

1) Alternator to battery
2) Battery to chassis
3) Chassis to engine

Lexbox, engine to chassis & engine to firewall are the same thing. It's redundant. The engines themselves have multiple connections to the chassis stock. On average, 3-4, 8ga copper wires. Not including mechanical connections.
Old 03-04-06, 08:57 AM
khhoang
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pheonix

1) Alternator to battery
2) Battery to chassis
3) Chassis to engine
pheonix, mind recommending what gauge wires and type for each of these?
Old 03-04-06, 09:53 AM
sub786sub
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexbox
Personally, I used all 0-gauge wire when I did it to my ES. It is referred to as the big three and they are as follows: Battery to chasis, chasis to engine block, engine block to firewall. Dont forget to ground everything to a bare metal surface, dont let the paint get in the way. If you have a meter, check continuity if you are unsure.
The funny part is "chasis to engine block, engine block to firewall" . Are we discussing water flow or electric current . It sounds like according to Lexbox current flows from chasis to engine and engine to Firewall . Sorry Peace
Old 03-04-06, 11:55 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

khhoang it soooo doesn't matter for the engine grounds.
For the others. 8ga+ is going to help.