ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Fixing the Radio LCD

Old 02-25-06, 02:01 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fixing the Radio LCD

A few others have reported having issues with their radio LCDs. I've had this problem for the past few months and decided to call the stealership for a quote on the repair. Rather than repairing the LCD, they wanted to replace the entire radio console at a price of $1,500.

Here's my solution:

Part # is CWM4319 @ http://Parts.PioneerElectronics.com -or- 1-800-421-1404

I think the total cost came to right around 90 dollars for the LCD + shipping and handling.

So here's my write up.

Before you begin, make sure you have a ratchet with a 10mm socket as well as a socket extension. You're also going to need 2 phillips head screw drivers - i dont have the exact size, but be sure you have a very small one for the internal part of the removal and a standard sized one for the external portion of the process. Oh and one last thing, put the parking brake on and pull the shifter all the way back. Here it is:

Start out by removing the air vents. All you have to do is grab the center piece and pull the vent out evenly on both sides, and firmly.

The Red circle shows the clip that holds the vent in place, there is a clip on both sides. The Blue circles show the female connectors to the Clock and the Hazard Light.

Right Below the A/C control panel is a black plastic piece. It may seem as though there is no way to remove it, but try to find a way to pull it out. Just be sure to apply even pressure on both sides or you'll break one of the clips.

So here is what you should have thus far.

Remove the bolts circled in red. There should be two bolts above the radio and two bolts below the A/C console.

Last edited by Woogie; 04-25-11 at 10:33 PM.
Old 02-25-06, 02:02 PM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Carefully removed the whole A/C - Radio console. However, make sure you lay some small towels in between the ash tray and the shifter so you dont scratch anything.

So now that you have the radio out, remove the *****. the ***** actually help keep the face plate on so be sure to remove them. All you have to do it pull them out firmly and they'll come right out.

Remove the bolts. Removing the Radio from the A/C and the mounting bracket makes working a whole lot easier and it only takes an extra couple minutes. I forgot to circle the tabs, but you can see the tabs that hold the faceplate onto the radio in this picture. They're to the left of the mounting bracket. Carefully remove the faceplate lifting the tabs.

This is what you'll have once you remove the faceplate. You'll have to disconnect the LCD interface cable. It's pretty tight on there, but dont be afraid to pull, but try to pull on the white plastic piece and not on the wires themselves.

Remove this screw and the screw on the opposite side. These screws hold the LCD screen in place.

The Broken Screen.

There you have it, folks. Pop in the new LCD and put everything back together and you're good to go. I saved myself a couple hundred bucks by doing this myself and the best part is that it only took me about an hour or so Vs. the one week that the dealership quoted.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to PM me with questions regarding the process.
The following 2 users liked this post by Woogie:
Jrb2u (01-29-22), sub786sub (01-28-22)
Old 02-25-06, 02:54 PM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woogie, thanks!! I guess you saw my first post. Order placed. Can't wait to have a functional display again.
Old 02-25-06, 03:23 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Great write-up Woogie. A common problem for the '92-'96 ES, and you took it down without holding back Gonna add this thread to the DIY thread.
Old 02-25-06, 09:56 PM
Maxx941
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the Great Write-up and nice pics
Old 02-25-06, 10:53 PM
ES BL155
Pole Position

nice write up. i need to fix mine too
Old 03-05-06, 06:13 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Got her done yesterday. Surprisingly easy. I had the head unit out in like ten minutes. I used a flat head screw driver to VERY carefully back out the upper and lower panels. Went side to side until I could get my fingers on enough to pull them out.

Lesusk8, you need to change the link to this thread in the DIY thread to include 98 models.
Old 03-05-06, 06:44 AM
khhoang
Driver

Originally Posted by Macklin
Lesusk8, you need to change the link to this thread in the DIY thread to include 98 models.
agreed, from the threads i've read.. this is a very common problem with 97-99 ES as illustrated in Woogie's pics and his ES model year. Not sure if the lcd part # is the same for the 92-96 ES but looks like the lcd interface connector has 9 wires (8 blue, 1 white) for comparison.

nice write-up nonetheless!
Old 03-05-06, 07:22 AM
papachino
Pole Position

dang $90 for the screen? I'd rather just buy a replacement radio (I have a alpine head unit). For that I would've sold you my whole radio for cheaper.
Old 03-05-06, 08:53 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by papachino
dang $90 for the screen? I'd rather just buy a replacement radio (I have a alpine head unit). For that I would've sold you my whole radio for cheaper.
It was a selling feature for me. I can now truthfully say the car has no current issues.....knock on wood. She has been one great car! Time for a new Lexus!!
Old 03-05-06, 03:36 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Macklin
Got that done, thanks for reminding me.
Old 11-08-06, 08:30 PM
jsguillet
Driver School Candidate

Argh! I ordered the part from Pioneer ($102 including shipping) and it got here today. But, alas, it's the wrong part for my Nakamichi radio! I can't seem to find the LCD display anywhere. Found a couple of places in FL that will replace it for me if I ship the radio to them. Anyone know where to get Nakamichi display?
Old 01-15-07, 01:32 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Woogie!
My LCD just started to fade. Now I know what to do.
Old 01-22-07, 08:27 PM
rg_gibson
Driver

is the process similiar for the first gen. lexus es300?
Old 04-20-07, 09:24 PM
draikonz
Driver

I have a questoin for the 92-96 ES's...for the climate LCD, it looks like its soldered onto the board also so I haven't tried to unscrew it yet...Is it actually soldered on because it looks like it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fixing the Radio LCD