ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Windshield washer Reservoir leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-06, 05:21 PM
squ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Windshield washer Reservoir leak

Just wondering if anyone had a leaking washer reservoir before? Mine leaks from the very bottom (the pointy end), I think. Did a search on ebay, there are no replacements for 93 ES300, but there are a couple for 93 Camry, are they the same?
Maybe I could do something to stop the leak, like put a "band aid" on it. hehe...
Any experiences/comments are welcome.
Old 01-15-06, 05:43 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Exact same.
Old 01-15-06, 06:21 PM
kdogg
Rookie

Originally Posted by squ
Just wondering if anyone had a leaking washer reservoir before? Mine leaks from the very bottom (the pointy end), I think. Did a search on ebay, there are no replacements for 93 ES300, but there are a couple for 93 Camry, are they the same?
Maybe I could do something to stop the leak, like put a "band aid" on it. hehe...
Any experiences/comments are welcome.
Mine cracked and I just bought and installed a new one!
Old 01-15-06, 06:28 PM
squ
Driver School Candidate

Where do you guys normally buy it from? I only saw a few on ebay, all of them are around 20 ~ 30 dollars and the shipment is 22! Maybe I should call toyota and ask them...
Old 01-15-06, 07:30 PM
squ
Driver School Candidate

There are actually 2 types on ebay for sale:

1. Washer Reservoir w/o motor w/o ABS
2. Washer Reservoir w motor w/o ABS

What's the ABS? The brake system?
Old 01-15-06, 09:08 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Yep, u have abs.
Old 12-07-09, 04:45 PM
BK4293
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Too lazy to start a new post. So I'll revive this 4 year old one....
My 92 wouldn't hold a drop of Windshield washer fluid. Come to find out it was actually the grommet where the motor connects to the tank.

I pick up a PCV grommet for a GM vehicle from the Autozone Help! section (Part number 42062 ) for $1.99 and fixed my problem.

The tank itself was $122 on a Lexus dealers website and the motor was $32 to $35, but I'm not sure which one the grommet is included with so I decided to find my own "budget" fix.
Old 12-08-09, 01:28 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

reservoir are not the same. this stupid thread misled me a year ago. since u revived it let me put my 2 cents here. theyr'e not the same tank. my tank got messed up from the sun, glemaing through the space between hood and body.
Old 12-09-09, 03:29 PM
trk1
Rookie

i seem to be having the same problem, it holds the fluid but after a while the fluid level decreases. i checked for leaks and such and have not found any signs of leakages.
Old 12-09-09, 09:10 PM
BK4293
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by llcoolpass
reservoir are not the same. this stupid thread misled me a year ago. since u revived it let me put my 2 cents here. theyr'e not the same tank. my tank got messed up from the sun, glemaing through the space between hood and body.
Do you mean the Toyota and Lexus tanks are not interchangeable as stated earlier? That sucks because I probably would have went looking for the Toyota tank myself seeing as it's probably cheaper and more easily found at a junkyard compared to finding an actual Lexus tank...

I suggest for those of you with leaks to take out your tank (Three 10mm bolts right up top, two for the tank itself and one holding the overflow tank hose in place) and inspect it. Like I consider myself lucky it was the Grommet and I found a cheap replacement. I actually purchased JB weld thinking I had a cracked tank from the ES sitting so long and was going to try to patch it up.
Old 12-10-09, 12:07 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine deteriorated so bad, a simply jb weld wouldn't work [large chunk/hole
glad you only needs a new pump/grommet
the camry isn't compat. u dont believe me? i have it right here, who wants to buy it from me?!?! still trying to sell this thing....
and junkyard cars [es300] ALWAYS MISSING THE TANK so I still have no washer fluid since I got the car in dec 2007
Old 12-22-12, 08:03 AM
keithsund
Driver School Candidate

ABS is the type of plastic the tank is made of.
Old 12-22-12, 08:09 AM
keithsund
Driver School Candidate

Gallon of fluid ran out of mine in 2 minutes. Took tank out. 3 10 mm screws all accessible from the top.
Top shows some degradation, crumbling plastic. The rest of the tank looks pristine.
Problem? Leaky pump to tank grommet.
This looks so specialized it may be hard to find. Any clues?
Once I replace the grommet I will repair the top with marine epoxy. Tough, easy to use, white.
Old 12-22-12, 08:13 AM
keithsund
Driver School Candidate

It looks to me that most of the damage to the tank is heat and engine compartment related stresses. I base that on the bottom of my tank being so pristine. Since these tanks are getting harder and may become impossible to find we may need to think about reconstructing them. I was prepared to put a layer of fiberglass over the outside of the tank. reasonable skills and a little time you could do a good and attractive job.
Old 12-23-12, 11:45 AM
donbryce
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a leak on the top, a long crack. I fixed it easily with hot glue. If the leak is on the bottom/sides, take it to a rad or body shop and see if they can plastic weld it, lots of ABS plastic in today's bumpers and parts....of course, they might charge more than an EBay replacement.

Quick Reply: Windshield washer Reservoir leak