ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Christmas mods for you ES300

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-05, 12:19 AM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GATO
I searched and they don't make a true BBK for our cars...

yes they do.. ive researched it.. keep looking, they do make one
Old 12-09-05, 01:46 AM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

brembo does make a bbk upgrade for the solara, but the price is around 1800 or so. you need at least 17" wheels.
Old 12-09-05, 01:54 AM
a13n0rma1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eman_be_lexin
I just ordered 4 KYB struts, 4 brembo drilled/slotted rotors, both sets of hawk brake pads (front and rear), front strut mounts, blue LED interior bulbs, and engine mounts. Getting everything installed plus alignment and brake bleeding for $630.
The hawk pads are great, bite real well when they get warmed up. All I need is a couple quick stops in the neighborhood and I'm easily able to stop dead from 60mph.

Oh, and for brake fluid I HIGHLY recommend the ATE Super Blue stuff, or any other DOT 5.1 (3 and 4 compatible, but the boiling point of a DOT 5 fluid) type fluid if you're getting a full flush of your brake lines. NOT DOT 5 though.

When you go in for the alignment ask for the most negative camber they'll allow in the factory specs if you're a "spirited" driver who does a lot of turning, too. Don't ask for this unless you do a lot of spirited driving or don't mind slightly more worn out tires. Or if you do, rotate your tires more often (like I will be tomorrow... in the snow...).
Old 12-09-05, 11:09 AM
GATO
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HoeBag
other than the Brembo for solara.....who is it that makes it HB?
Old 12-09-05, 11:21 AM
W. David
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoeBag
come on HoeBag, make it a little easier on us!!

Old 12-09-05, 06:16 PM
PlatES300
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

search the forums and you'll find that rotora also makes a bbk for the 97-01 es. I'm not too sure where to find the rotora bbk (might have to contact them directly) but there are sites out there that carry the brembo bbk for our cars.
Old 12-09-05, 06:59 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

There are a few makers for the Camry platform. Off-topic, Rotora sucks. Horrible company. Bad service, bad customer relationships, bad employee relationships. In my book, they're on the list of stuff to be avoided like the plauge.

Yes, Brembo does make Camry platform big brake kits. Front brakes only. I've always told the Camry crowd, the best bet is going to be to get the "small" 89-92 LS400 brakes, or maybe like a set of 4runner/truck brakes.
Someone needs to hit a junkyard hardcore to see what can swap.
Old 12-09-05, 07:03 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

you car does look pretty complete........when are we gonaa get to view a photoshoot of you car?
When school ends, I might do one...
However car audio upgrades never end, I'm planning on doing a custom trim panel for my xm receiver and maybe some things here and there, rest assured, I'm planning on documenting all my custom work.
Old 12-09-05, 07:07 PM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

W. David...... it's not what you think.....they are Brembo, but just oem size brembo rotors

I searched and they don't make a true BBK for our cars...

I did call stoptech or was it wilwood .....anyway they can special make it but its aloooot of loot.

I wish there was at least a nice 6 piston caliper and some true larger cross drilled rotors available.
here is a link to last years thread..https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144079
I hope you have better luck w/ Brembo bolt on cross drilled rotors, mine only lasted ~1 yr.
However, my Powerstop rotors lasted for about 3 years now.
Old 12-09-05, 09:17 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Drilled rotors are stupid. Stay with blanks unless you actually take your car to a real, live, road racing corse (Auto-x doesn't count.) At which case, you can afford 5.1 fluid, track pads (That need to be replaced every month), wheels & tires, & slotted rotors.

I heart Brembo Blanks!
Old 12-09-05, 10:15 PM
W. David
Pole Position

After looking into it, Rotora does indeed make a BBK that will work on our cars......it's 2K though (front only)!!!

Check out the product PDF here......

That sure look sweet, but at present time, I have much better things to spend 2K on. Only way I would even consider such an investment is if I was absolutely sure the car would be staying around for a few more year, and even then, the cost still doesn't seem like a smart investment.

There is another company, "precision braking company" who also makes a kit. Never heard of them, but their product looks good. They are a major distributor for Wilwood.

Regardless, I think I'll just stick with my painted calipers, and upgrade the rotors/pads and brake lines.
Old 12-10-05, 12:01 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Some advice. (Free is always the worst, remember.) Be very careful when picking metal brake lines. They have a tenancy to rust/break/split on daily driven cars over a couple years. I always suggest skipping them because without changing the master cyl & vacuum assist to something else - there will always be lots of exponential in the pedal travel. (They fall in with strut tower braces. Sure they do something constructive, but it's that last 1%, not the first 90!)

The brake system on the ES / Camry has lots of exponential. Instead of it being an On-Off switch like many cars; giving any newbie/moron behind the wheel the ability yto drive smoothly in traffic. This is not to be confused with having poor, soft breaks. if you stand on the pedal QUICKLY. (That doesn't mean HARD) The pedal effort will instantly rise.

The stock brake system can lock the wheels, activating ABS over 60mph if you stand on it quickly enough. The immediate problem is traction, then old/low quality fluid that boils easily+pads+rotors. Brembo Blanks, Hawk HPS pads, dot4 fluid(or 5.1 if you're rich!).
(Dealer/Akebon ProACT pads are good, I've got them on my rear axles, but the Hawks kill'em on the front)

You guys are only going to find front axle sets. Remember the rear brakes are drum-in-disk. (parking brake is a drum setup instead the rotor hat, instead of just pulling the rear caliper onto the rotors like normal)

Eh, that's always my opinion on brakes. *I'm always right too.

* Barring I'm not confused. This offer is not valid in any concious state of reality.
Old 12-10-05, 12:03 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

I don't judge... I just try to keep people from doing things I consider to be a huge waste of money.
Old 12-10-05, 01:11 PM
W. David
Pole Position

Don't get me wrong Pheonix, I certainly don't consider a BBK setup on our cars to be worth the investment, as we really don't need them.....

That said, they make any car look nicer, and if the price was right, I'd have to bite I think. I guess its unlikely the price will be right anytime soon, so i will likely end up with new pads/rotors...but it's nice to dream.
Old 12-10-05, 01:30 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Cool

Oh no, I'd love to do some R&D & find some used calipers that'd swap for tens of dollars! I meant the SS brake lines are kinda a waste of money. But 2 each his own. If SS brake lines is what somebody wants, more power to 'em!

Quick Reply: Christmas mods for you ES300