ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2002 ES300 Official Pics!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-01, 05:13 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at the seats! They look to be of the highest quality. Triple stitching. It doesn't get any better than that...
Old 07-30-01, 08:28 PM
Mind18
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Idea

Originally posted by AC's TL/540i
I've waited for pics on the new ES for ever...thanx guys.

I totally approve of what Lexus is gonna be doing with the ES. However, I wish that Lexus would beef up the engine a tad bit.

It appears that Lexus is taking the MB approach. You know how all MB cars are now starting to look more similar to the S Class? The new ES reminds me of the LS and I wouldn't be surprised if the new GS hinted the LS as well.

My props to Lexus on the new ES!

It does seem like that they are trying to make all of their cars more similiar, but I think this is a bad idea. Not only is it bad because I think the LS430 is not very attractive, but also because there is no reason to. Having a diverse range of looking cars gives them the ability to cater to different people's taste. I wonder if they are trying to do this.....notice the new ES has the three spoke steering wheel that the RX, GS, and I think SC has.... (no more...) . And to L-Sport, I assume you saw the pictures of the new ES and are disappointed as I am. Almost looks like a Buick from the front.....

Old 07-30-01, 08:55 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Wow:eek: thanks for the pics doug! The inside is very luxurious and well dignified looking...but, I will have to agree with Mind 18 about the steering wheel. While that is an awesome steering wheel it is already on the RX and GS. The ES should have a different one. Can't wait to see one in person...we'll have to have a ClubLexus meeting at Nalley Lexus
Old 07-30-01, 09:23 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like a Hyundai, daewoo come on guys it can’t compare with the looks of the 2001, this looks slow and cheap so it has cool head lights big deal. It looks cheesy to me, just my opinion. I like what they did with interior. And the engine?…well doesn’t the TRD Supercharger fit in it, so just have Lexus make a supercharged version of the ES. Problem solved and it will have a little chrome Super Charged badge warning the TL’s and I35’s placed on the panel behind the front wheel wells. I just can’t excuse the new sluggish looks though. That’s exactly what it looks like a slug. A fat slug with headlight and four wheels. It looks too similar to all the other cars out there the ES looked clean swift and sharp before very classy. I new they could only make it worse when I found out about the restyling of it, but I had no idea they would make it look this bad. It looks like a car trying to look good. Trying to hard at that and not succeeding. I wouldn’t pay more then $10,000 for it used with 20’s on it, not with those cheap looks. No two tone? Lexus should even change the logo. They are changing every thing else, I don’t mind change but changing and not making progress? The new line doesn’t even deserve the old L.
Old 07-31-01, 12:23 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

some people got too extreme on this......

I deeply believe that if you want performance the you get yourself a GS. If not then look somewhere else because the ES isn't that and you can't expect too much performance from this luxury-oriented sedan.

it shares the mirrors with the GS. Performance plus.
Old 07-31-01, 02:04 AM
Kaban
Lead Lap

From the front it looks like a 4 door hard top version of SC. I really like the hood. Might be competing with IS 300 a little.
Old 07-31-01, 07:10 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Well, it will be just under 14 hours before we can see the new ES...
Old 07-31-01, 07:38 AM
RacingAristo

I give 8.5 points for the interior! They look sweet.

Old 07-31-01, 11:22 AM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by GlobeCLK
some people got too extreme on this......

I deeply believe that if you want performance the you get yourself a GS. If not then look somewhere else because the ES isn't that and you can't expect too much performance from this luxury-oriented sedan.

it shares the mirrors with the GS. Performance plus.
Yes you can expect at least decent performance from a luxury car. The problem is that lexus isnt putting that into the equation. Cars can be made for luxury yes but that doesnt make it as good as competitors because the best car will have all the attributes: performnce, luxury and value.

I really like that interior. very luxurious. The exterior is too bubbly for me and is cheap looking and ugly but thats just me.
Old 07-31-01, 11:49 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DROD2045
Cars can be made for luxury yes but that doesn't make it as good as competitors because the best car will have all the attributes: performance, luxury and value.
I think the only car that combines ultra performance, luxury, and value is the GS430. The ES has no competition when it comes to luxury and value (in it's class, of course). The reasons why Acura can undercut the ES in price are:

1.) It's built in the USA
2.) Inferior materials, such as plastic wood and vinyl seat backs.
3.) Does not have the safety to match the ES

The Infiniti I35, while not built in the US, suffers from problems number 2 & 3, even though the price is on par with the ES.

It doesn't take much to put a larger engine into the ES. Lexus could have easily done it. The reason they didn't was because they wanted to meet ULEV standards and give a fit, feel, and finish Acura and Infiniti could only dream of. Not to mention safety features...
Old 07-31-01, 11:53 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

In the interior picture above, does that look like a wood shift **** to you?
Old 07-31-01, 02:27 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by wantAnewLex

I think the only car that combines ultra performance, luxury, and value is the GS430. The ES has no competition when it comes to luxury and value (in it's class, of course). The reasons why Acura can undercut the ES in price are:

1.) It's built in the USA
2.) Inferior materials, such as plastic wood and vinyl seat backs.
3.) Does not have the safety to match the ES

The Infiniti I35, while not built in the US, suffers from problems number 2 & 3, even though the price is on par with the ES.

It doesn't take much to put a larger engine into the ES. Lexus could have easily done it. The reason they didn't was because they wanted to meet ULEV standards and give a fit, feel, and finish Acura and Infiniti could only dream of. Not to mention safety features...

Im not comparing the ES to the GS. You have to compare the car to its competitors. Although the I35 does have fake wood, the materials are pretty good and the leather has been upgraded to the same leather used in the new Q.. But to say the I35 lacks in saftey is wrong. It gets 4 and 5 stars across the board. I believe there is only one 4 star rating it gets and the rest are 5. But thats exactly what Im saying, to get some at least decent performance, lexus should have taken out in some small areas. Having the best materials wont make you a class leader. The Class leader might not have the best materials but will have very good materials with good performance all around at an affordable price. The ES is simply too expensive and does not ave the performance to match from early reports.

just my 2 cents.
Old 07-31-01, 02:51 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by wantAnewLex

This is the scenario:

Toyota has about 10 cars in the same class as the Windom (ES300), such as Mark II, Chaser, Cresta, Crown, Progre, Brevis, etc. etc., all in the mid-size sedan region. Mark II and Chaser are more performance-oriented, while Brevis and Windom are more luxury-oriented. Larger engine (or a more powerful one) will overlap the markets.

Then they choose the Windom to continue to be the new ES because LEXUS needs a entry-level luxury sedan around that price range, not something to compete with the IS300.

You see why it just dosen't matter?
Old 07-31-01, 03:28 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by DROD2045

Im not comparing the ES to the GS. You have to compare the car to its competitors. Although the I35 does have fake wood, the materials are pretty good and the leather has been upgraded to the same leather used in the new Q.. But to say the I35 lacks in saftey is wrong. It gets 4 and 5 stars across the board. I believe there is only one 4 star rating it gets and the rest are 5. But thats exactly what Im saying, to get some at least decent performance, lexus should have taken out in some small areas. Having the best materials wont make you a class leader. The Class leader might not have the best materials but will have very good materials with good performance all around at an affordable price. The ES is simply too expensive and does not ave the performance to match from early reports.

just my 2 cents.
Okie dokie. Rule number one: Never trust those stupid "star" ratings. Most of them are based on mathematical calculations, not actual crash tests. Please check out http://www.hwysafety.org This site actually crash tests the cars. See for yourself how the I30 did. Then compare it with the Camry (upon which the ES and RX are based). It works quite simply: Since the Camry gets a "Best Pick", the ES and RX will get "Best Pick", too. The I30 is based on the Maxima. The Maxima didn't do so great, so neither will the I30. Same goes for the Accord. The Accord didn't do well, so the TL (which is based on the Accord) won't do any better. Here's why I don't trust those "star" rating: The government gave the Toyota Tundra only 3 stars. However, in an actual crash test it did much better (see hwysafety.org). I rest my case. Have a nice day.
Old 07-31-01, 03:39 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by GlobeCLK

This is the scenario:

Toyota has about 10 cars in the same class as the Windom (ES300), such as Mark II, Chaser, Cresta, Crown, Progre, Brevis, etc. etc., all in the mid-size sedan region. Mark II and Chaser are more performance-oriented, while Brevis and Windom are more luxury-oriented. Larger engine (or a more powerful one) will overlap the markets.

Then they choose the Windom to continue to be the new ES because LEXUS needs a entry-level luxury sedan around that price range, not something to compete with the IS300.

You see why it just dosen't matter?
I've never had trouble seeing that it doesn't matter. All I was trying to say was that Lexus COULD have put a bigger engine in the ES. Some people think that they didn't put a bigger engine in the ES because Lexus didn't have the resources, initiative, etc.

Quick Reply: 2002 ES300 Official Pics!!!