ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

"The ES300/330 is not a gussied up Camry... the Camry is a 'gussied down' ES"?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-02, 04:36 AM
Seattle ES300
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys have NO IDEA what it feels like to have someone say "your car is just a glorified blah, blah, blah..." until you own an Acura.
Old 12-16-02, 05:05 AM
PhoenixGoldLex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can a Imagine a use to call a Acura's Honda accord w/leather just messin with ya
Old 12-16-02, 05:20 PM
XenonES3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by mcelligott
Ah, and another time a hyundai tibruon owner told me "your windshield says toyota on it." I replied, "yours says Hyundai. You Lose."
hehehhehehehhe....thas good!
Old 12-17-02, 11:28 AM
DesertRat
Driver School Candidate

Cool My reaction varies.

How do I react? If the person is earnestly asking about the differences out of curiosity, then I go over the similarities and differences: Same floorpan/chassis, but different body panels, suspension components (that's what I've read--is it true?), etc.

Also, Lexus cars are all built in Japan, aren't they?

If the person is just talking crap, I don't react. I blow it off and move on. It's their problem, not mine.
Old 12-17-02, 11:47 AM
Lvangundy

I was driving on the 405 yesterday and there was a white car behind me. The whole way there I thought it was a 2000 or so camry. I'm thinking when did the camry get fog lights?

Eventually I was looking hard at the emblem and thought it had been broken, turned out the be the 'L' and when the car passed me, sure enough..1997-2001 ES300.

doh!
Old 12-17-02, 11:47 AM
njes300
Pole Position

it doesnt bother me . I have driven both and they feel different . Oover all quality and workmanship is no comparison . Even the first gen es300 looked so detail oriented . You can tell the diff just by the body panels,paint and my favortie the door thump just to begin.
Old 12-17-02, 01:56 PM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by mcelligott
Ah, and another time a hyundai tibruon owner told me "your windshield says toyota on it." I replied, "yours says Hyundai. You Lose."
LMAO!

I've gotten this once in a while, the time that comes to mind was a guy who told me I wasted my money on the Lex, he used to be a mechanic and all that stuff. We debated for a little while and he admitted at the end that he'd like a Lexus if he could afford it. I've also had the driver of a late 80's Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera holler out his window that "Lexus sucks." About all I could think is look at what you're driving, you need to keep your mouth shut.
Old 12-17-02, 07:02 PM
es3windom
Driver School Candidate

We have to remember that LEXUS is TOYOTA!!!... what makes LEXUS soo succesfull is through Totota's long history and of course their marketing strategy...

Here in Australia, an ES300 is still pretty expensive... 91-95 model (110km+) are around $20-25k+(aud).. Im really a big fan of Lexus!.. especially the ES models (i love the other models.. but it's not in my price range!!!)

Im very lucky enough to get a 1995 Toyota Windom for alot less with very low K's (57k!!).. and it was rebadged to Lexus ES300

My dad has the 1995 Vienta Camry (touring series).. and seriuosly, this car performs excellent!! and one of the reasons why i wanted an ES300 because of how realiable and durable Toyota's are. We have the same engine (jap made), (maybe diff mods/tweaks) the same engine chasis.. but different body.

Im not here to say that an ES = 'dressed up' camry .. because seriously it's not!!! but it's arguable...
Old 12-19-02, 01:11 AM
ARIST
Rookie

...from personal experience, ususally the "Camry"-people are the ones who can't afford it. I often ask them, "If they are both the same price, which one would you buy?" I think we all know what the answer is and the real truth, "it is NOT a Camry!"

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-19-02, 01:16 AM
Kyle Harty
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Here's a few quotes from the Car and Driver review of the 92 ES on this issue.

"Like the ES250, the ES300 uses the same mechanical pieces as the Camry. But like the LS400 and new SC coupes, the ES300 was designed from the outset to be a Lexus. So it looks and feels notably different from it's less-expensive Toyota sibling."

"the ES300 is not a Camry body double. It's skin is sleeker and more elegant. The ES300 has cleaner lines than the Camry, blacked-out B-pillars, a gently upturned rear deck, and a rakish nose with neatly contoured headlamps. Several details-including handsome alloy wheels and clear headlamp bezels that show off the beautiful, spherical projector lenses inside- further enhance the ES300's look. Where the ES250 was but another conservative, boxy Japanese sedan, the ES300 is one of the sportier, more graceful-looking entries in its class."

"this cockpit- like all Lexus cockpits- ranks as one of the finest in the auto kingdom."

"An argument can be made that the ES300 is simply a flashy Camry and therefore not worth the premium over the Toyota. And, indeed, a well-optioned Camry XLE-a car that offers all of the same mechanical virtues as teh ES300- can be had for $23,873. But there's another perspective to consider, the ES300 as an affordable alternative to Lexus's flagship, the $42,600 LS400. The ES300 offers 90 percent of the performance and refinement of it's big brother, it has front-wheel drive (which many buyers may prefer), and it's shape is more debonair. No matter how you look at it, though, this much is clear: the ES300 is a first-string Lexus."

This is from the counterpoint section.

"You could say that the ES300 is a Camry beneath the skin. But you might also say that Chateaubriand and a Big Mac use beef as their starting points. Worry not, ye of fatter billfolds, that the Lexus ES300 and Camry are siblings beneath the sheetmetal. From the instant you open it's door and peer into the ES300, you will see that it's every inch a small luxury car, a feeling that is enhanced by slipping into it's leather-lined interior and driving away. If there's an ounce of hedonism in you, you'll love it. I sure did." -William Jeanes

Hope you guys found that interesting.
Old 12-19-02, 01:53 AM
PhoenixGoldLex
Rookie

Well the 1st gen es300 is "camry like" the 97+ es300 was designed from the ground up and for once the Lexus was designed first and the "camry" designed as a "cheap lexus"

So go figure huh?

Last edited by PhoenixGoldLex; 12-19-02 at 01:53 AM.
Old 12-19-02, 02:42 AM
Dema
Pole Position

do not know, do not care.
Old 12-20-02, 03:04 AM
madmadrid
Driver

I used to drive a 95 camry until i got into an accident then i got a 92 es 300. The difference is amazing, cleaner ride, nicer interior, and anyways its a LEXUS. I love lexus. My dream car is 2004 IS300 (might be called the IS400 or 430) manual (Ive been told around 400hp) My family owns a 99 gs400 black on black leather with navigation and chrome badges, my 92 es champaign on tan leather, with nice stereo system, and with gold badges and finnaly a 2003 es300 silver on grey leather with navigation and chrome badges. I love it. Our family is like a spokesperson for lexus, 3 lexs parked out front.
Old 12-20-02, 03:09 AM
PhoenixGoldLex
Rookie

My driveway use to house 4 Lexi

I also own www.lexuslovers.com
as well as www.lexlovers.com

The true epitome of Lexus Ownership at it's finest!
Old 12-20-02, 03:26 AM
lexusation
Driver School Candidate

my case is the opposite:

when people at my work/ friends ask what I drive, I tell them I have a 99 camry.... when they see the car later they are the ones saying "I thought you said you had a camry, thats not a camry, thats a lexus"

I cant care less what people say, I wanted something reliable and comfy and I love the Toyota brand, who cares if its not flashy enough for people ... the point is when I drive it, I love the ride, its quiet, goes unnoticed, if I park it at the mall or in the parking lot of a movie theatre I dont have to worry about haters scratching it, etc...

When I was buying mine (used), I had the option of getting more flashy cars for the same price (2000 saab 9-5, BMW 328 convertible, etc...), but I tend to shy away from flashy cars, its just not my style... my car doesnt define who I am, I do, and thats why I drive an ES3,..emm,.. I mean camry

Quick Reply: "The ES300/330 is not a gussied up Camry... the Camry is a 'gussied down' ES"?????