ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Small Performance mods

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-05, 02:33 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by plugmaster
remove the exhaust box or the intake resonator box? will that really increase hp, or just make it sound louder? How hard is it to remove, and if exhaust box, will that at all mess with a smog check (or am i thinking of the wrong component?) as i'll be moving in a few months and i'm sure a smog check will be required for new registration.
Intake resonator box is the one to dump.

The exhaust resonator has no effect on emissions since it runs after the cat, but it will make your car sound loud and raspy if you remove it.
Old 09-28-05, 02:43 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Intake resonator box is the one to dump.

The exhaust resonator has no effect on emissions since it runs after the cat, but it will make your car sound loud and raspy if you remove it.
just a thought, though... has anyone removed just the resonator and kept the stock muffler? My experience with "Lexus" mufflers leads me to believe that would be the best route. I used this type of "custom" set-up on my old GS and it worked great. It gave it a nice tone without being loud or raspy.
Old 09-28-05, 03:38 PM
plugmaster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do you think of a velocity tuner?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SAVE-...03570164QQrdZ1

As a cheaper alternative to a CAI, It makes sense to me to just replace the rippled tube with a smooth tube to maximize airflow. But then the idea of this velocity tuner seems to contradict that theory. Has anyone ever tried one of these?
Old 09-28-05, 05:02 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by plugmaster
what do you think of a velocity tuner?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SAVE-...03570164QQrdZ1

As a cheaper alternative to a CAI, It makes sense to me to just replace the rippled tube with a smooth tube to maximize airflow. But then the idea of this velocity tuner seems to contradict that theory. Has anyone ever tried one of these?
Please don't throw away your money on that. It is an incredibly useless piece on your vehicle and will only creat an obstruction in your intake tube. The swirling air theory has been proven to be efficient in certain applications, but even those require the swirl to occur as the air is entering the combustion chamber. Placing it before the throttle body will do more harm than good. Just don't bother with it.
Old 09-28-05, 05:03 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Leets
Please don't throw away your money on that. It is an incredibly useless piece on your vehicle and will only creat an obstruction in your intake tube. The swirling air theory has been proven to be efficient in certain applications, but even those require the swirl to occur as the air is entering the combustion chamber. Placing it before the throttle body will do more harm than good. Just don't bother with it.
...but if that doesn't convince you, I do have a Tornado unit for sale.
Old 09-28-05, 06:12 PM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

Leets all the Toyota v6's so far get fairly unacceptable when you delete the pre-muffler (Resonator). They don't become loud per say, they become very raspy. The run up / run down sounds like what would happen if Honda were to make a large displacement i4. Very, very raspy. Sounds like ***.

Throttle body spacers/insulators, "Tornado" style things will somewhat work on a carbed vehicle. They have no affect on a fuel injected engine.

You can make an intake manifold insulator/spacer to fit between the intake manifold & Upper Intake Air Chamber. I've done quite a few now. There's only am minor difference power wise, but the intake manifold stay's 1/2 the temperature the valve covers do instead of blazing hot.
Old 09-28-05, 06:50 PM
plugmaster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the input. I think you need some sales training if you're going to try and sell that thing
Old 09-28-05, 10:14 PM
Leets
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pheonix
Leets all the Toyota v6's so far get fairly unacceptable when you delete the pre-muffler (Resonator). They don't become loud per say, they become very raspy. The run up / run down sounds like what would happen if Honda were to make a large displacement i4. Very, very raspy. Sounds like ***.
Thanks for the input... I was afraid I wouldn't get the 1mz to sound as good as the 2jz. I did plenty of searching on this subject but it seems that everyone that tried it did it with an aftermarket muffler. I was hoping the ES muffler would be as efficient as the GS muffler in cancelling out any unwanted tonal variations. Oh well... looks like it's back to the drawing board.